Serious Question: CAL or FEDEX

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Schedules

Got a quick question. I know it varies but what is the avg time you spend on the road with FedEx or UPS? I've heard something like 6-7 on with 6-7 off. What are you newhires doing right now? Thanks!

Oh yeah: Go with FedEx!

I definitely agree this is in poor taste. If you can't make a decision like this based on your own situation (family, location, finance, etc.) maybe you should seek some counseling. Seems like you might be the guy in the bar on the overnight with a uniform shirt on minus shoulder boards telling the waitress what a cool airline pilot you are. I don't know you and don't wish to prejudge you or piss anyone off, but that is how you come across asking this question on the flightinfo pages...

ps. good luck at CAL, one more slot for the rest of us at FDX

stay away from airlines..there haven't been too many fedex pilots on furlough...move to mempho and have a nice long prosperous career.

defending

BoilerAV8TR said:
I definitely agree this is in poor taste. If you can't make a decision like this based on your own situation (family, location, finance, etc.) maybe you should seek some counseling. Seems like you might be the guy in the bar on the overnight with a uniform shirt on minus shoulder boards telling the waitress what a cool airline pilot you are. I don't know you and don't wish to prejudge you or piss anyone off, but that is how you come across asking this question on the flightinfo pages...

ps. good luck at CAL, one more slot for the rest of us at FDX

I have no problem with someone asking others their opinion when faced with a decision. We as pilots may think we know it all, but it certainly doens't hurt to get others perspectives who may actually be employed with said options. I understand there may be some jealously by others without either option, but that is to be understood.

Gather all the information you can get, make a decision and don't look back saying "woulda, coulda, shoulda".

Good luck.

Goose17

1st yr CAL pay: $27,000, no medical for 6 months
2nd yr CAL pay: $50-60,000

1st yr FEDEX pay: $45-50,000 medical from day one.
2nd yr FEDEX pay: $90-110,000

Plus:
- Boxes don't complain (one pax complaint can end your career).
- F/As? Are you kidding me? Why do guys consider this when making a career decision? The business ain't what it use to be, the F/A factor is irrelevant.
- FEDEX is a cargo delivery company, not an airline... big difference.
- Non-reving? Puullease, with all the coin you make at FEDEX you'll be able to buy your own positive space ticket on the web at pathetic prices, competitive with non-rev rates.
- More NET new airplanes, more widebodys, not happening at CAL anytime soon.
- Mergers: if and when there is industry consiolidation, CAL WILL be bought by UAL. And it will get ugly when it comes to seniority integration.
- Flying at night- The 737 has gone senior for new hires. This is because there is no more international pay, and there is quite a bit of deadheading on the B756 fleet done at 50% of pay. So you will likely end up on the 756 and YOU WILL FLY AT NIGHT! Alot.

The only plus side to CAL in this argument may be the upcoming retirements. But since so many pilots in their infinite wisdom seem to beleive the age will change to 65 +, the retirement issue may be a moot point for few more years.

The conclusion... FEDEX, no question. I'll bet the CAL CEO would leave for FEDEX if he could.

I know many, many CAL pilots who left for FEDEX... I know of no FEDEX pilots who left for CAL.

Last edited:
If you want stability for the forseable future for you and your family, go to FEDX
If you don't want to worry about a possible furlough for at least five years, go to FEDX
If at the end of your career you want to retire VERY comfortable, go to FEDX
If you want to work at a place with possible immunity in case of another attack, go to FEDX
If you want to work at a company that has distinguished itself from other legacies, go to CAL
If you want to deal with people and FAs, go to CAL
If you don't mind being in the middle of a possible merger (personally, I don't think it's gonna happen) then by all means, go to CAL
Finally, since you have a choice, how much money do you want to make in the lifespan of your career?
If your answer is in the higher digits, then it's safe to assume that FEDX can probably better meet your goals.

Goose is right about the day flying. I just started yr 2, F/O 727 sitting R-24 (24 hr callout) this month and holding B (day) reserve in Jan. I got called out on 2 week-long trips this month and both were day flying. We pretty fly around the clock. You WILL fly at night sometime, but after a while you can do all days if you want.

I actually prefer the night hub turns. Your duty days tend to be shorter. I can get to the hotel at 7 am, get 7 hrs sleep, eat, get a good workout, and then have time to chill a while before heading to the airport. On the day trips, the duty days tend to be 11 + hrs. I get to the hotel dead tired, have time to eat, don't feel like working out, and then try to get to sleep. Everyone has a different routine, though.

And the vacation....Jan is a 90 hr bid month. Again, I just started year 2, and vacation wiped out the whole month for me. Woohoo! Once I'm done on the 28th, I don't go back until 2 Feb. Pretty good deal if you ask me.

LivinDaDream said:
I have been extremely lucky. I have offers from both CAL and Fedex.

Besides the obvious pay reasons for the first few years, what would you do and why???

Take the FedEx job and go enjoy your Christmas knowing that you have made the right decision..........have a few beverages while your at it and see you on line soon!!

Take the CAL job and ask yourself for the next ___ years.......WTF was I thinking?!?!?

MAGNUM!! said:
I can get to the hotel at 7 am, get 7 hrs sleep, eat, get a good workout, and then have time to chill a while before heading to the airport.

You jet jockeys always out trying to get a good workout......cut that crap out man.......making us old farts look bad!!!

Gotta do something to counter this wicked chocolate chip cookie habit I've developed since I hit the line. Dam* Subway's and Doubletree's....

Latest resources

Back