• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Seniority has everything to do with longevity

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Apparently the company's legal counsel seems to think otherwise.

It's been sent to the courts to decide, Weasel. Does a judge's decision have the same, more or less chops than final and binding arbitration??

Most mergers don't involve airlines with 17-year pilots on the street.

I wish NWA and USAIR east would've merged. It would've been such a nice transition. Little overlap, a lot of common equipment, and oh yes, the work groups, specially the pilots, would've been a piece of cake to merged. DOH from day one, everybody happy..... what a lost oportunity.....

Because when everyone sat down to negotiate the TA Agreement, Parker said right from the start that this Agreement would not include any discussions on new payrates except for the recently ordered EM190s ,and that the existing rates for both east and west would remain in effect until a new joint contract was hammered out in joint contract negotiations (the negotiations you guys walked away from when the Nicolau list came out,remember? :rolleyes: ) That your Negotiating Committee agreed to those terms and conditions without so much as a whimper and that your pilot group didn't make a stink about it like you always do when things don't go your way simply defies logic. Ergo, the difference in payrates. You asked is it "OK that a 12 year Capt in the west makes more than a 12 year Capt in the east ?" I guess not. But like your new boss Parker is so found of telling us out here "You get what you negotiate" Nobody's just going to give it to you.

PHXFLYR:cool:

PHXFLYR -

I agree with you that Mr. Parker is "fond" of telling us "you get what you negotiate".

I look forward to a joint agreement which protects your "seat" which you brought to the merger, and my "seat" as well as longevity (which fences could accomplish), where we both get paid equal pay for each seat and a profitable company for the long term.

Metrojet

...the worker with the most years of service is first promoted within a range of jobs subject to seniority, and is the last laid off, proceeding so on down the line to the youngest in of service...
This is very nice but it doesn't define or address labor integration and that is the real issue. This piece of information is defining seniority because of a case involving discrimination. It has nothing to do with the East/West labor dispute.

...Taking a snap shot does not take into consideration the dynamics of this industry. Looking at a furloughed CAL or DAL pilot a few years ago and looking at his position now shows how fast things change. A snap shot of DAL and CAL a few years ago would be completly different...
Thank you. You just confirmed what the West pilots have been saying all along. Your "snapshot" of the East seniority list doesn't take into consideration the condition of their airline among many other things.

Most mergers have always been DOH and about every regional has merged based on DOH. BEX and Eagle, Piedmont and Allegheny, Air Wisconsin and MAX. The list goes on.
I haven't looked it up so I don't know if most mergers have been DOH or not but I'll be that if you research it you'll find that most of the mergers of the past involved two seniority lists that were more closely relative in the first place. DOH in those cases probably produced a relative integration which made DOH an acceptable solution.

Unfortunately, when the bottom guy on one list has been there for 18 years and the top guy of the other list has been there for 20 years DOH isn't acceptable. That would be a windfall for the bottom guy with 18 years. Do you see now?

All mergers with DOH work out.
I remember in college one of my professors warned me that when people use absolute terms they are usually full of crap.

Its all about me and how I can leapfrog my fellow Union pilot.
Yeah, we know. We're dealing with this attitude now coming from USAPA.

I noticed that you CAPITALIZED both "THEM" and "I"...

There ya go. You argue that everyone is only able to think "It is all about me."

What's new? :laugh:
i think you're on to something. All those people who capatalized their i's are selfish and greedy!:laugh:

PHXFLYR -

I agree with you that Mr. Parker is "fond" of telling us "you get what you negotiate".

I look forward to a joint agreement which protects your "seat" which you brought to the merger, and my "seat" as well as longevity (which fences could accomplish), where we both get paid equal pay for each seat and a profitable company for the long term.

Metrojet

A little "friendly" advice, although it'll be a cold day in hell before I'll ever consider an "eastie" a friend.
Don't hold your breath...especially if your little "pipe dream" raises Parker's cost of doing business.

PHXFLYR

PHXFLYR -

Metrojet

If you indeed flew the tomato jet, than you are aware that your precious "longevity" contains 3-6 years of furlough time. In other words, your longevity is sh*t.

Have a nice day.

how is usapa justifying that there were mergers (trump shuttle) w/in their group that didn't go DOH? are they ignoring it? or planning on rectifying it w/ their new list?
If not, don't you lose credibility?
It's also a shame that furloughs weren't mitigated by USAPA using the arguments that new hires had to go first. If USAPA makes that argument- the legal costs of making the case - the possible training costs if the union wins- would have mitigated some of the furloughs. To not try that tactic is confusing

Latest resources

Back