Seniority and DOH for CAL EQUIPMENT SYSTEM BID

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CAL EWR 737:

So if the snapshot shows an FO missing 756 captain in Newark by lets say 10 spots, and you see that there are 11 Newark 756 captains currently ULA etc, then theoretically this FO will likely be awarded the bottom 756 captain slot in Newark? (all things being equal).

Densoo,

I think he will miss it by ten spots because they "double award" a seat when they come to a mgt pilot, ula, etc. If those ten spots include one of these guys then he will miss it by ten minus the number of mgt, etc. Clear as mud? :)

Densoo,

I think he will miss it by ten spots because they "double award" a seat when they come to a mgt pilot, ula, etc. If those ten spots include one of these guys then he will miss it by ten minus the number of mgt, etc. Clear as mud? :)

Let me try this tack. Let's say this Newark 756 FO is short CA by 10 spots on the snapshot. After all the double bidding and ULAs are taken into account (and cancel each other out?) the FO will miss CA by less than 10 spots, or even get awarded CA? but the FO won't miss it by more than 10 spots, that is, move backwards from what the snapshot showed?

I didn't read all of the posts on this thread, so I may have missed it. Did anyone metion secondary vacancies? If there are 10 vacancies on say IAH 756 CA and you are 15 back from the award, you could still end up being awarded IAH 756 CA if enough IAH 756 CA's bid off to other vacancies, i.e., IAH/EWR 777 CA. I think this might answer densoo's question.

I didn't read all of the posts on this thread, so I may have missed it. Did anyone metion secondary vacancies? If there are 10 vacancies on say IAH 756 CA and you are 15 back from the award, you could still end up being awarded IAH 756 CA if enough IAH 756 CA's bid off to other vacancies, i.e., IAH/EWR 777 CA. I think this might answer densoo's question.

I would think secondary vacancies would be accounted for in the snapshot as I believe it looks at not only expansion vacancies but also the bidding that folks are doing on this system bid.

CAL EWR 737:

So if the snapshot shows an FO missing 756 captain in Newark by lets say 10 spots, and you see that there are 11 Newark 756 captains currently ULA etc, then theoretically this FO will likely be awarded the bottom 756 captain slot in Newark? (all things being equal).

No.

The snap shot is what the bid system bid looks at the time taken. Nothing more nothing less. System bids double award ULA etc., monthly staffing doesn't.

Your mixing up the two. If the snap shot says you can hold it you can if it doesn't you don't as the snap shot shows all awards and includes secondary vacancies if any. Be careful it is next to impossible to interpolate the graphs that close if you looking to pin point something within ten numbers.

The list of the most junior seniority number in his sub base is just that and no one junior to that can hold the position at the time of the snap shot.

That number can change up or down as people change bids or some haven't bid as of the time when snap shot was taken.

I would think secondary vacancies would be accounted for in the snapshot as I believe it looks at not only expansion vacancies but also the bidding that folks are doing on this system bid.

Exactly this is getting way to complicated. All the snap shot is showing is what would the bid look like if it closed and was awarded today. Nothing more nothing less it is the results of the bid and everything has been accounted for (double bidders etc).

The only changes from the snap shot to the actual bid award are from individual pilots changing their preferences on the system bid screen. If no one changed their bid between the snap shot and the award they would be identical.

The only point I was trying to make with double bidders not being included on monthly staffing vs system bids is to point out when comparing where you are today (monthly staffing) Vs where you will be on the effective date (system bid award) is to make sure understand to get an accurate picture of your real starting point. So take current monthly staffing number (starting point) and subtract those not actually flying (ULA, LOA's etc) from today's monthly staffing when comparing where you will be on system award.

Example currently staffed as number 200 NYC 737 FO. System bid award (or snapshot) shows you at 50% (for my example lets say 50% is number 100) or number 100. So you are going to move from 200 now to 100 next year after everyone above you is trained into new positions, retired or whatever. You really aren't moving up 100 numbers you may be moving up only 75 numbers if today on the monthly staffing you have 25 pilots on sick leave or whatever makes them unable to fly. So in reality today you are effectively bidding 175 and not 200. Understand?

yup, thanks.

Densoo,

If you just miss it by a few numbers there is a pretty good chance you will make it in the next year via adjustment bid. They can actually do one of these any month they want and with the amount of guys watching the GATT rate, ready to pull the plug if their financial planner says to, there could be some guys leaving suddenly. I think you need to be gone by November 1st to lock in the current GATT rate, but I'm not positive.

I know for a fact there is a fairly big list of guys ready to go if a certain someone says it's time. Incidentally, the company also knows this and they are not very happy with this certain someone.

Latest resources

Back