Screws are put to Mesaba AGAIN

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Jimdandy

Looks like NWA missed a 2nd payment. I think the harder they put the screws to us at this point the more they are looking for concessions so they can grow us with new E-jets at super cheap rates. If this ain't the case XJ needs to shut down now so NWA can feel how much they will miss us. That means no ground handling in msp, dtw, cvg, mem either, for pinnacle or us. that would cost them about 2 billion a year.

How come USair United wasn't this harsh in bankruptcy. HMMMMM. Well because their regional CEOs wouldn't stand for it. XJ and pinnacle are now part of the creditors sitting at the table with the judge deciding NWAs fate. Why aren't they doing anything or than talking? They do have some power.

US Airways was that harsh!!! It just seems worse when its right in your back yard. PDT/ALG/PSA took pay concessions!! PDT/ALG even had to furlough pilots!!
When US Airways went into Chpt.11 all the WO's were included in that!! You will now become pawns in a chess game! I see management playing all the NWA Express against each other (We had it here at US Airways Express) and dangling the growth and new jet carrots in your face. And of course like all pilot groups the back stabbing with begin.
All I can say, is try and ride this storm out. Hopefully you have much stronger union leadership then the 3 WO's over here have. And try to keep as much communication lines open as possible amoungst each other. Try and check you ego's at the door when you come to work. If you guys all work together, it could be a better out-come then we had. GOOD LUCK!!!!!

And don't forget the BK Judge was a lawyer that represented Gary Wilson's investment company about 20 years ago. That doesn't seem to be a problem these days though, with all the checks and balances in the current administartion.
icon8.gif

Jimdandy said:
If this ain't the case XJ needs to shut down now so NWA can feel how much they will miss us.

Yup, I'm sure the accountants would miss that $65 million per quarter red ink for Airlink operations. Oh yea, lets not forget the subsidized landing fees, aircraft leases, station handling, marketing and my personal favorite, the cheapo jet fuel.

Truth be told, in the entire history of regional operators, there never was any money in "regional" operations. Only sleigh of hand on a balance sheet. Only a couple of "niche" operators ever made any cash, and they never saw an RJ.

For historical perspective, not even the local service carriers back in the day of regulation could make any money. They had to be propped up by subsidies.

But look at the operators that are making consistent money...SWA, AirTran, JetBlue (well, maybe not this quarter)...not an RJ in sight.

Nu

NuGuy said:
Yup, I'm sure the accountants would miss that $65 million per But look at the operators that are making consistent money...SWA, AirTran, JetBlue (well, maybe not this quarter)...not an RJ in sight.

Nu

Remember these airlines do not operate in any small towns! Because they know they couldn't fill a 320 or 737 and won't go into any markets they might lose money at!! Thats were you can fill up a 50 seat RJ or Turbo Prop!! How would you like to drive 3 hrs to the nearest airport to jump on SWA! Not me, I would rather drive 15 minutes to my local regional airport and fly out there.
SWA, AirTran, Jetblue better watch there backs now!! US Airways and soon NWA, Delta with its fleet, routes and cost structure will be in much better shape to put a beating on these guys. I believe that SWA fuel Hedging ends soon, so they will pay more in gas.. Talks at Airways about adding Q400's, which I believe Horizon is using to battle SWA out west.
Regionals make money!! Management can twist the numbers all they want. During our BK at PDT we were told by Dave Siegal that we made no money and even lost cash. Then we hear from our new CEO Doug Parker that PDT is a highly profitable operation.... Whatever!!!!

Yea air wisconsin was picked up by usair your point? They were asked if they would fly for a certain amount of money and they said no way and left for usair.

Nuguy if our mgmt had the guts they could shut down ops and that would ground not only us but also Pinaccle in MSP, DTW. NWA would be losing money like crazy and would go under in about a month or two. The only problem is our mgmt is being told to just let NWA do anything they want becuase if worse comes to worse we will protect you with a nice golden parachute.

Latest resources

Back