• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Screws are put to Mesaba AGAIN

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
While much of what NuGuy says has some validity, one statement that he makes as a point-of-fact, needs clarification.

The only reason that the 4 leased DC-9's are listed is because they are leased. You don't list assets that are paid off on that portion of the filing. The items (in this case aircraft) on the list are those that they choose not to "affirm".

This simply means that they intend to renegotiate the terms of those items or completely nullify any agreements with regards to those items. There is absolutely nothing in the filing that would indicate that they plan on keeping a single DC-9. Any aircraft that they own are on the chopping block, but do not have to be listed on the filing as there are no terms for a BK Judge or Creditors Committee to make determinations on.

Not knockin' most of what you said, but you misstated that as fact and I thought it should be pointed out.

All of us on this board are simply voicing our own opinions and conjecture and not one of us truly knows the outcome. However, one thing is certain; if all 3 of the redtail carriers don't stick together, we will all lose more in the end.

Beacon - ON

captpetefam said:
The simple truth is this: NWA guys see all the regional airport flying as beneath them but it is, nonetheless, REQUIRED for NWA revenue. We are dependent on EACH OTHER. One cannot exist independently from the other. Until that is realized by ALL Red-tail flyers, we will only continue to play into Mgmt's hands.

This guy has it right. Substitute your airline for NWA if you wish but the picture is the same. All the animosity that flows between the mainline and regional pilot groups is senseless. It is a tragic waste of time and serves only to weaken this profession by dividing us even more.

NuGuy has some really good arguments/points.

Except... some markets just will not support a DC-9. USAirways did that to many secondary and more tertiary markets and see where it landed them.

NWA is not about to give up some markets. Now add the limitations of the NWA pilots, are they going to sign on for monthly lines at 85-95 hours (mid atlantic guys were flying that) to pick up the extra red tail flying? 13 1/2 duty days, and 20 minute turns?

Are NWA rampers going to work in these tertiary markets for $7 bucks an hour?

Unfortunately the express red tails are going to stay, especially for certain markets. Maybe some city frequencies will be eliminated for the express but many will stay. It is still cheaper to run a full Avro or CRJ than a 1/2 empty DC-9 or baby bus at the same ticket prices.

The best option NWA pilots have is to capture the "new" flying with small jet's. That new flying though I feel would be replacement flying for what the DC-9 loses. No "real" growth, just a transition from mainline to B or C scale but still above regional scale.

NWA does have plans for regionals. Stations like DSM already have been told by there union reps that 20 NWA stations are going to be airlink stations. So argue all you want if xj/9e is going to be around my bet is they will. I am sure the 500 million that xj made for NWA was just smoke and mirrors.

I thought if "jet service" was to a NWA station then it had to stay a NWA station.

JAN and HPN are perfect examples, they have nothing but Airlinks for most of the year and a occassional -9 here and there for a month or two once a day.

JT8D said:
Although I don't wish for the loss of jobs at XJ/9E, I'm afraid NuGuy has hit the nail squarely on the head on all points.

So, NWA will only fly to cities that will support a Airbus 3-4 times daily so they can be like AirTran and do all their flying themselves? Is that the point that he squarely hit? Say hello to massive furloughs at NWA if that is the case.

dondk said:
I thought if "jet service" was to a NWA station then it had to stay a NWA station.

That was probably true back in the good old days before bankruptcy. I'm sure now that out the window just like the pilot's scope clause.

sf3boy said:
So, NWA will only fly to cities that will support a Airbus 3-4 times daily so they can be like AirTran and do all their flying themselves? Is that the point that he squarely hit? Say hello to massive furloughs at NWA if that is the case.

Did you read NuGuys post?

NW ALPA knows that scope is probably history so there is talk of securing ALL of the flying (50 seats and up) to mainline at regional type pay for mainline pilots that are on 100 seat AC or less. It is either that or the mainline pilots who would fly the RJ aircraft will be furloughed. Not a tuff decision to make, no?

Latest resources

Back