• Start date
  • Watchers 32

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sports, women, how crappy of a schedule they got, etc. etc. Why would this concern you?

Not a concern. I just wondered what one would say to a scab, especially for hours in a fixed closed, locked compartment....... What would you talk about? fair labor practices?

Last edited:
Not a concern. I just wondered what one would say to a scab, especially for hours in a fixed closed, locked compartment....... What would you talk about? fair labor practices?

I gotcha. Personally, I wouldnt have a scab ride the jumpseat, so i guess I cant honestly answer that for ya.

This may be an informative thread for folks that are new to this business and have decisions to make in their future. Scab lists are VERY real in all areas of aviation. I remember in the mid 90’s at a previous airline when we had aircraft that were experiencing problems with repeated write-ups. Mid-level management loaded belly compartments with every associated part in the stock room just for the EAL scab mechanics to have a thanksgiving weekend full of brutal work. It was salary work too!

Some of the other harshness that I’ve noticed over the years includes issues with check rides, scheduling torture, denied promotions and performance appraisal issues. I’ve never noticed this to be an act on the part of the airline. It’s always been from employees that are in an authority position. It goes very unnoticed and almost impossible to prove. Those in the know are very good at what they do and simply pass a smile to one another.

Oh, I think he knew it was real. He's been having great fun getting some of the more intense members here fired up. :laugh:
No, I sincerely did not know that such a master scab list was real, because I had never seen it. I tend to be skeptical. When I found this list online, I was a little shocked. I actually found it by accident. I was looking up an old co-worker from a few jobs ago, and the list came up in the google search. The guy was an Eastern scab. He is now elderly. I always thought that small groups might keep their own scab list for a particular company or one union, but this comprehensive Master Scab List is quite incredible, and as I now know; quite real. I understand why pilots get emotional and passionate on this subject. It really hurts when you initiate a group labor action and put it all on the line, only to have a few weak ones wreck the whole thing. I can imagine that it must be utterly gut wrenching. It is something I will never do. I will never be a scab.

Last edited:
I know someone on the UAL "scab" list. He was offered a job by UAL during the strike. He called ALPA who told him, "go to class but don't operate a trip". He did go to class, the strike was over before he completed training.

He was hired off the street as a 727 Captain but never operated a trip as a Captain as he went to the back seat. United paid him as a Captain from day one.

A year or two later, ALPA found out he was being paid as a Captain and wanted him to give ALPA the difference clear back to day one. He said "No". How is that a scab?

ALPA is f^cked up. Would I cross a picket line? probably not, but I'm not blindly following a union that has done nothing but screw me since I became a member.

ALPA is not about you or me, it's about ALPA. The members of ALPA who work on safety issues have my respect and admiration. The union leadership doesn't. Your leader now is a bafoon. The one before was a thief. That's my opinion..............

I know someone on the UAL "scab" list. He was offered a job by UAL during the strike. He called ALPA who told him, "go to class but don't operate a trip". He did go to class, the strike was over before he completed training.

He was hired off the street as a 727 Captain but never operated a trip as a Captain as he went to the back seat. United paid him as a Captain from day one.

A year or two later, ALPA found out he was being paid as a Captain and wanted him to give ALPA the difference clear back to day one. He said "No". How is that a scab?

ALPA is f^cked up. Would I cross a picket line? probably not, but I'm not blindly following a union that has done nothing but screw me since I became a member.

ALPA is not about you or me, it's about ALPA. The members of ALPA who work on safety issues have my respect and admiration. The union leadership doesn't. Your leader now is a bafoon. The one before was a thief. That's my opinion..............

How do you justify Capt. pay so early in employment? The rest of the pilots earned Capt pay only when they went thru the seniority list.

Did ALPA want the difference in his salary or the difference in SO dues vs Capt dues?

How do you justify Capt. pay so early in employment? The rest of the pilots earned Capt pay only when they went thru the seniority list.

Did ALPA want the difference in his salary or the difference in SO dues vs Capt dues?

1.) Justify? To who? He was hired by UAL. They "Justified it"

2.) You should know you pay a percentage of what you make, not what the union thinks your making.

3.) They wanted the difference in PAY.

4.) I would have told them "No" also.

He lied to you he is a fleet qual. scab!

There are a hand full of scabs at United that are in good standing at ALPA the vast majority are not and are treated accordingly.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back