Rude Welcome Awaits JetBlue

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ya, you are so right.. From SWA.:rolleyes:

Fly between Dallas Love Field and select cities from $39 to $79 one-way with 14-day advance purchase! Book by December 1, 2006 for travel December 1, 2006 through March 9, 2007.

They can charge $5, as long as I don't have to take a paycut to finance it.

And so it begins.

The legacies, flush with money, are now going to really turn the screws to JBLU. Wherever JBLU tries to "expand" to, the legacies will be there waiting to drop their fares to loss-leader levels.

Oh but that's OK for JBLU. They don't need to make money. That won't hurt them at all.

You JBLU cheerleaders keep whistling past the graveyard. Keep an eye out for that tombstone with People Express written on it.

No airline is immune to market pressures. You suggest JB is on the same path as People Express? Well, JB doesn't own any B-747s on the property yet, so we are OK for now.

Are you sounding the same warning to legacy carriers to keep an eye out for the tombstones with TWA, PAN AM and EASTERN written on them too?

And so it begins.

The legacies, flush with money, are now going to really turn the screws to JBLU. Wherever JBLU tries to "expand" to, the legacies will be there waiting to drop their fares to loss-leader levels. Yes, I'm sure B6 is quaking in their boots. Heaven only knows that the legacy's couldn't afford to turn the screws in BK, but now look out. :laugh: :laugh:

Oh but that's OK for JBLU. They don't need to make money. That won't hurt them at all. Neelebarger will just not take a salary in the coming years and will wash cars to make ends meet.

You JBLU cheerleaders keep whistling past the graveyard. Keep an eye out for that tombstone with People Express written on it.
That must have been the thump under the right tire of a 190.

:pimp:​

No airline is immune to market pressures. You suggest JB is on the same path as People Express? Well, JB doesn't own any B-747s on the property yet, so we are OK for now.

Are you sounding the same warning to legacy carriers to keep an eye out for the tombstones with TWA, PAN AM and EASTERN written on them too?

Spectre,

I agree with what you say. We are at a crossroads none of us have been before. Historically when major airlines (legacies) have done poorly in the past the LCCs (or whatever they used to be called) did rather well.

While slightly over used the words "perfect storm" come to mind.

LCCs in the past have never been as well financed, and they never have grown as much as they have now.

While Legacies in the past have taken paycuts, and furloughed to lower costs, never in the history of the business have they done it so dramatically, to the point in some cases of actually meeting the LCCs at certain costs.

There were commuters, however not full ACMI jet operaters like Republic, Comair, Skywest.

We did not have code-shares with Int'l carriers to enhance revenue, and the thought 20 years ago of NWA,CAL,DAL all selling seats on their respective airlines would get you laughed out of a room.

I don't think you can compare JB to the likes of Peoples Express, however it is anyones guess what can and will happen.

Good Luck to All of Us, we are all pawns, and all one terror strike from falling out of the sky.

Regards,

AA

Last edited:
AAFlyer,

Awesome post. Glad to see some common sense in this.

One point to maybe consider on EWR is in the fact that JFK cannot support more flights to FLA with the situation over there. Until that terminal gets finished, it is almost maxed out. That could be another reason why SWF came up so quickly. Just to rid some of the flights out of JFK.

Just a thought....

AAFlyer,

One point to maybe consider on EWR is in the fact that JFK cannot support more flights to FLA with the situation over there. Until that terminal gets finished, it is almost maxed out. That could be another reason why SWF came up so quickly. Just to rid some of the flights out of JFK.

Just a thought....

Thanks,

What I find very unique about the JB model is it operates out of a huge Int'l hub airport compared to many LCCs in the past. In my beleif the reason we do not operate mainline aircraft bewtween both cities ORD-JFK is there is not enough conecting passengers, Europe flight can be flown out of ORD, and similiar flights can be taken out of JFK. The business folks like LGA with it's location near downtown.

For all practical purposes we are not competing. What will be interesting to see is if we put mainline jets into JFK from ORD. It would have to be 757s, as that is the smallest jet we are hubbing in JFK. We started a little while ago in DFW, it actually worked very well. There are numerous other In'tl airlines in JFK that other passengers fly, why not grab some of them. That is the group I think will flock to JB. They picked up a cheap flight on Air India, or EgyptAir, (insert airline) and need a cheap fligt to JFK.

regards,

AA

Spectre,

I agree with what you say. We are at a crossroads none of us have been before. Historically when major airlines (legacies) have done poorly in the past the LCCs (or whatever they used to be called) did rather well.

While slightly over used the words "perfect storm" come to mind.

LCCs in the past have never been as well financed, and they never have grown as much as they have now.

While Legacies in the past have taken paycuts, and furloughed to lower costs, never in the history of the business have they done it so dramatically, to the point in some cases of actually meeting the LCCs at certain costs.

There were commuters, however not full ACMI jet operaters like Republic, Comair, Skywest.

We did not have code-shares with Int'l carriers to enhance revenue, and the thought 20 years ago of NWA,CAL,DAL all selling seats on their respective airlines would get you laughed out of a room.

I don't think you can compare JB to the likes of Peoples Express, however it is anyones guess what can and will happen.

Good Luck to All of Us, we are all pawns, and all one terror strike from falling out of the sky.

Regards,

AA

Most of the pilots at JB were furloughed from other carriers and thus would wish absolutely no ill will towards the same pilots whom we used to fly with. As for LCC's, SWA was seen as the same model as People Express and are now thriving with 400+ airplanes and industry leading pay and benefits (for their aircraft type anyway).

The decrease in fuel price has helped everyone, but expect that to go up again. If that happens, how much more can you cut pay and benefits? I think we all fear higher fuel prices more than terrorism right now. Sure, I was furloughed 3 months after 9/11. However, I believe without 9/11, higher fuel prices and poor management decisions would have had the same result on past furloughs, pay cuts and bankruptcies. Just not as dramatically.

We can only hope the legacies can continue to improve their business models as they offer business class, first class, international flying, and route networks that SWA, AirTran and JB cannot match. Each airline can carve out its own nitch in the marketplace and survive long-term with its competitors. But if fuel goes above $100/barrell, a lot of us will have to go looking for a real job.

Last edited:
I don't work for JB, but, honestly, I'm surprised it took this long for them to finally acknowledge that you have to include the midwest (namely, Chicago) in any growth plans if you want to continue to grow.

I know it's probably been a huge struggle to get the one gate that you managed to get at ORD...and, does anyone know - does the gate belong to someone else? I don't know who payed off who with regard to Midway, but SWA has that whole enchilada locked up for a long time...

Here's how I see it...the ORD-JFK pair will probably do very well...EWR, LGA and HPN are well served from Chicago...JFK, not so much.

The California stuff, though, good luck. Just between AA and UA, flying into inconvenient, out of the way LGB is going to be a tough sell for business folks...

Me and a lot of other folks were wondering when you were going to start flying to cities in the Midwest; with the enormous amount of airplanes that still remain undelivered, any idea where the rest of them are going to go?

-brew3

You are missing the history behind jb and ORD. We have wanted to go in there for years, but no space available. From what I hear O'Hare played jb off of UA to get UA to pay its bills. This is a big and natural step for jb. Lowecur is right -- it is about offering more options to its already loyal customers, while at the same time getting JetBlue's name out to the midwest. Although I consider that the North.

AAFlyer,

Just a thought....
With 21 gates up and running at JFK, B6 is supposed to have capacity for 185 flts. Don't know how many they are doing at present, but they should be OK till the new terminal rolls out.

EWR and SWF were both started to free up space at JFK and offer convenience to loyal Jetblue travelers that used to commute from NJ and the Newburgh area. Jetblue wants to be the dominate domestic carrier in the NYC area, and frankly they are doing a great job with limited facilities at LGA and EWR.

:pimp:​

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back