Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jackpilot

Hey you Flexjet folks.

Please detail some "rolling rest" scenarios. I've seen many references to this subject, but never an explanation.

Thanks.

I am NOT a Flexjet guy, but the term refers to the idea that when you duty off today, they give you a projected duty start time for tomorrow...let's say it's noon. You are supposed to be ready to do a 14 hour day starting at noon....

You got off today at 4pm, so you are going to have PLENTY of rest time....(20 hours)....now in the morning someone else calls off sick, or a plane breaks or whatever, and they panic and need you. They call you at 6 am, because you have already been off for 14 hours, so you have your 10 hours rest right? But you were planning on dutying on at noon, so you might have stayed up late the night before...so you can sleep late, and be more rested at the end of the originally planned day....

If you answer your phone, out of obligation or stupidity - you pick - you are screwed...they are going to want you to fly...and you are going to be intimidated to go because you are talking to them...except you only just went to bed at 2 am, and now you are operating on very little sleep and are much more dangerous throughout your day if you go.

The way these fracs operate, this becomes the norm and the pilots just get wasted from day after day of this BS. There is no predictability to anything so how are you supposed to be rested.

IBT1108 solved that problem at Flops....they don't answer their phones anymore at all...unless they are mgmt suckups trying to earn favors.

Did that answer the question?

Yep, IBT 1108 solved that problem allright. Now you can see crews showing up at 0700 and sitting all day at an FBO with no plane. An alternative to the above scenario is where the crew has a beer, calls it a day, and if they do get an early call-out, they are ready. If no calls, they are in their room resting. Can it be abused..sure. Depends on management. Careful what you chose.

Yep, IBT 1108 solved that problem allright. Now you can see crews showing up at 0700 and sitting all day at an FBO with no plane. An alternative to the above scenario is where the crew has a beer, calls it a day, and if they do get an early call-out, they are ready. If no calls, they are in their room resting. Can it be abused..sure. Depends on management. Careful what you chose.

Not to pick on you here, but what's the priority? Having a beer or being properly rested for duty?

Management dutying on crews at 0 dark thirty is their choice. If they want to burn my duty day sitting around so be it. The sh!tball hotels I am in are not THAT comfortable anyhow. Half the time the FBO is better.

It is just another example how poor management all around makes them unable to actually put a plan into action. They don't maintain the planes well, so they can't count on them working...they don't maintain the pilots well, same story there...I will go to the FBO every time and sit vs. being rudely awakened and forced into duty hours earlier than expected.

They burn duty hours before trips...they burn duty hours at the end of trips too...heck, they burn DAYS at the ends of tours when planes are down and they won't let the pilots go home a day or two early. All they do is build up more and more resentment and set in an attitude where even after a contract is signed, pilots aren't going to do many favors. You know what that means? FAILURE...plain and simple. These stupid managers playing these games, are doomed to fail.

For my money IBT1108 DID solve that problem. The pilots at Flops are much happier knowing when they are going to duty on instead of having to hope the phone doesn't ring.

Think of it this way. If you duty off at 5pm on one day, per the Flex FOM, they can call you at 1am for a 3am show regardless of what the original plan was. Now, there are definitely some days where I can hit the sack early, but even if you are asleep by 8pm you'll be getting only 5 hours of shuteye before the phone rings. Are you really rested at that point? Some are, many are not.

Let's be more realistic though. I generally hit the sack between 9-11pm. Flex has a self imposed 10 hour duty limitation on duty starting before 4am CST. So, assuming I go to sleep with a planned duty on 10 or 11am, Flex can call me at 2am, have me show at 4am, and run me until 8 pm on 4-5 hours of rest. It makes for many a bleary-eyed pilot.

I am NOT a Flexjet guy,....

The way these fracs operate, this becomes the norm and the pilots just get wasted from day after day of this BS. There is no predictability to anything so how are you supposed to be rested.

Do not lump all fracs into this pile. NJ and CS both duty off at a specific time and are given a set time to duty on prior to being released from the current duty period. No questions.

X

In all honesty, they are usually pretty good about giving you a heads up on an early call out. It also seems to be getting better as of late. That being said, it still sucks!!!

In all honesty, they are usually pretty good about giving you a heads up on an early call out. It also seems to be getting better as of late. That being said, it still sucks!!!

Thanks for that info.

The reason I'm asking is because I've accepted a position with them. The timeline between submitting an application, interview, job offer, and acceptance was only 2 wks.

I didnt have a lot of time to research all the nuances of Flexjet life. This "rolling rest" situation is giving me some pause. I have not started training yet. And it sounds like Flexjet is the last of the fractionals to be using this dinosaur scheduling method.

I'm hoping it doesnt happen too often. Considering everything else I know, Flexjet seems to be a top notch company.

Thanks guys.

I think rolling rest is better explained by looking at flying cargo. Example your duty ends at midnight, 10 hours rest makes you legal at 1000. Once your legal you will set in the state of suspended animation until you are paged for a trip. The question is; are you on duty while waiting for a trip or not? If not then you are up all day then get a trip at 0200 in the morning making your duty day ending the next day at 1600. You couldpossible be up for 30 hours. Until this gets regulated in Part 135 then, but reading under 91.1057 it seems that you have to be assigned a duty period after rest. Correct me if I am wrong.

Latest resources

Back