RJ reverse thrust... overdose!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yeah read my post again. "I thought I had all bases covered when..."

It was totally my fault for not briefing him in advance. But, I figured he'd been flying a jet, he'd know better than to pull something like that. No one ever told me specifically how to deploy the reversers in a Citation. I just took what I had learned in other jets and applied the same concept. He had been doing well up to that point, and he had previous time in type. I just assumed he knew it already.

Now I know.

Eagle is only on runways 7000' or less or contaminated runways/caps discretion. Brake

Ya but alot of those Eagle ERJ's have those gay thrust reverse inhibitor bolts

Everyone seems to be missing the real point of reversers...to let the ground crew know we are there! I let em rip full blast, well dependent upon what kind of captain I am stuck with. Some are afraid the plane will fall apart if you go past idle.

English said:
Odd. He just left there within the last month. Maybe different procedures for different folks? He was adamant that it was SOP at Eagle.
Noooooo........

Full reverse only in an emergency. Idle reverse ONLY allowed on contaminated runway (any length), or runway 7000' or less. Otherwise it's brakes only.

We use them so seldom that most people don't even use them when they are allowed to. They just sort of forget about them.

My thought is that this guy never got to use reverse at Eagle, so he just wanted to see what it was like.

LAXSaabdude.

taters said:
Ya but alot of those Eagle ERJ's have those gay thrust reverse inhibitor bolts

The bolts are just secondary to keep the TR's stowed. Its inhibiting the ICO's in the "chicken coop" keeping the hydraulic pressure from getting to the reversers does the real trick.

do you guys check the clam shell deployment on a normal taxi check....ive seen that done at some places...just curious....if so do you go into idle reverse? im sure it depends on sop's

aa73 said:
What the...?

Dude, lighten up. First off, I don't pick up open time, I'm on reserve genius.

Second, stick to the thread topic.

Third, MD80 brakes all squeal and chatter. No matter what airline. It's an old system, kinda like the 727.

you wouldn't be on reserve if others did not pick up OT. there would also be some CA slots open at AE, but you're right we're off topic.

AE trains the CRJ crews to use full reverse upon landing. the million dollar question is whether or not the nose should be on the ground before actuating the reversers....it seems every CA has a different opinion.

all the TWA guys i've talked to have stated that the S-80's at AA were by far the worst sounding brakes compared to the 80's at TWA. maybe they had an axe to grind, i dunno.

As some one mentioned before, it's all about technique and company sops that create different results.

What I don't understand (through flying with captains and observations in the money line) is why people land these RJ's 3 pointed??? I was taught to land an airplane by practically stalling the aircraft on the ground. So that's what I have tried to do with the RJ. I have had only on captain mention that I was too slow as I was flaring. That started to make me think it may be different with turbojets, but through my experience the RJ lands better and decelerates faster if you touchdown right around stall speed (not that I stare at the airspeed indicator, mainly done by feel) mains first. I see so many people landing 3 pointed that I often wonder if they are 5 to 10 knots above ref and forcing the a/c on the ground? This may be the reason why people end up using full reverse, max brakes etc. Or it could be the ego kicking in and seeing if you can get off the first high speed. I don't know?

I know our company adds 5 knots to ref, but I think people forget what an extra 5 knots can add to a landing...alot of stuff that makes a 10,000 ft runway turn into 6000 ft. Not an expert, just an observation.

The technique that seems to keep the BTMS down and not require use of Max thrust for me, is using aerodynamic braking. Hold the nose up until the lift decreases enough to allow it to come to the ground naturally...of course you don't want to hit the tail. This slows the aircraft considerably. Obviously if TSRA are in the area and the wind is gusty, you may have to modify your technique.

Of course coming across the fence at ref helps too!

As far as BTMS are concerned, your FO should always have 2 bottles of water on the walk around! :)

Either way, get it down safely and off the runway so no one needs to tap the TOGA buttons.

Fly safe.

Last edited:
jrav8tor said:
the RJ lands better and decelerates faster if you touchdown right around stall speed

You can't seriously think that's it OK to land a passenger jet at or around stall speed?? You're not flying a 172 anymore dude..

Fly your company's profile and touchdown at Vref. I have a hard time believing that your company teaches you to land your CRJ near stall speed. The last thing the passengers need to hear as you near the ground is the shaker going off.

Last edited:
Land a CRJ around stall speed? The only thing I can think of is that when I see a CRJ coming in, it sure looks like it's about 1 deg aircraft nose down...That's probably why it seems like a 3 point landing (in the CRJ). It would be near imposible to do a 3 point in the ERJ as it comes down the 3 degree glide slope at about +1/2 deg. Just plant it on the RWY dude....

As for it decelerating faster near stall speed wrong......A plane decelerates faster once it's on the ground rather then bleeding the speed off in the air to achieve a near stall landing.

Latest resources

Back