RJ reverse thrust... overdose!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
blzr said:
Strike, we use the buckets, not the actual reverse. By alternating buckets on taxi, we don't risk overheating them, and by not using reverse, no rise in ITT or rpm, we shouldn't be hurting the engine so long as we are moving foreward.

I do agree that they shouldn't be used on every landing, but the other guy complains that we are costing the boss money by using the brakes. I just can't win. Anyway, my POH doesn't say anything one way or the other about TR use during taxi.

In the end, it doesn't matter what I think--it matters what the guy signing your paycheck thinks! :D

Again, it depends on the circumstances, and I concede that some airplanes may be different. If you're flying into 5000' strips and you have very small brakes that have a tendency to overheat, then I would certainly expect you to adjust accordingly. Since I fly the EMB145 series, I can thoroughly speak only on those, and we don't have these issues a lot, but when I deadhead, I often feel like I'm going to pelt my head into the passenger in front of me . Unless you drag the brakes on the aircraft, there's no reason why they ought to be overheating, even on a quick turn (we regularly do 20-25 minute turns). And, as another poster said, I don't think that the fact that passengers are used to crappy service and comfort is an excuse to continue to give it to them. I'm not afraid that passengers can't deal with a rapid deceleration--I question why we ought to give it to them unless necessary. I'm not talking about stormy nights on short runways--of course you use reversers in such circumstances!

With the engines on the EMB, the reversers have been problematic. Apparently it stresses the physical buckets less if you minimize reverse thrust. Also, the carbon brakes work better and wear less if you heat them up. So that's why our company prefers reversers popped, idle thrust, braking as needed.

Unless necessary otherwise, I like to land in the TDZ, gentle decel., and make a taxiway before the end. Why do we need to make the first one? Don't we get paid by the hour? :)

This issue with the brakes is what Piano man says. The brakes on the EMB145 are not efficient until they are heated up. There are 2 reasons why XJT doesn't want us using lots of reverse.

1. It is hard on the engines. You are taking a moving body that passes air. You are decelerating and at the same time super heating the engine with a lot less airflow. Variations in temp causes stress.

2. The other issue is that guys will tend to dump in max revers until 60 knots. Then when they are trying to make the turn off hammer on the brakes for the last 100 yards. This DESTROYS the brakes because they have not heated yet.

Personaly I pop the buckets and apply even constant pressure to the brakes. Makes for a peacefull landing as well. Of course that can change on RW condition however if you land in the Touch Down zone,(and aren't trying to catch a flight home), you shouldn't have any problems.

CitationLover said:
have you heard your brakes in the S80's at AA? it sounds to me like you use no reverse at all. squeak squeal all the while taxiing. no criticism, just curious.

besides these are NEW jets. what's EPR?

keep picking up open time with 3000 comrAAdes on the street.

What the...?

Dude, lighten up. First off, I don't pick up open time, I'm on reserve genius.

Second, stick to the thread topic.

Third, MD80 brakes all squeal and chatter. No matter what airline. It's an old system, kinda like the 727.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies folks. Notwithstanding Citation Lover's mature response, I stand enlightened that it really is mostly up to the individual pilot's technique.

We used to spool em up pretty high on reverse but after Little Rock, it was discovered that more than 1.3 EPR (engine pressure ratio for you young folks) blankets the rudder and may cause loss of directional control. Therefore we are limited to 1.3, which doesn't sound like much from the cabin.

Thanks again for the replies.

aa73, were you flying on Eagle?

I flew with a former Eagle RJ pilot recently, and let him fly on an empty leg in a Citation. I thought I had all bases covered until the landing roll when, before I could say anything, he went into full reverse. I mean FULL. I've never seen the levers up that high before! After I finished yelling at him to stow them (cause the noise was so extremely high in the cockpit over the roar of the engines in reverse) he explained that
was what Eagle taught him on the Embraer.

English said:
aa73, were you flying on Eagle?

I flew with a former Eagle RJ pilot recently, and let him fly on an empty leg in a Citation. I thought I had all bases covered until the landing roll when, before I could say anything, he went into full reverse. I mean FULL. I've never seen the levers up that high before! After I finished yelling at him to stow them (cause the noise was so extremely high in the cockpit over the roar of the engines in reverse) he explained that
was what Eagle taught him on the Embraer.

English - actually, no, I was in the back of a Chq EMB American Connection. Also, the ACA CRJ folks used to do it too. My good buddy at Eagle actually told me that Eagle trains them to use only idle thrust unless stopping distance is in doubt. So maybe Eagle revised their procedures ever since your friend left.

regards,

I remember being taught during initial at CMR to use full reverse irregardless of situation. Most captains I flew with went with full and or stepped on the brakes and threw everyone towards the front of the airplane.

Always wondering why they got pissed when they didn't grease it in, but never had a problem with trying to make the first turn off.

aa73 said:
English - actually, no, I was in the back of a Chq EMB American Connection. Also, the ACA CRJ folks used to do it too. My good buddy at Eagle actually told me that Eagle trains them to use only idle thrust unless stopping distance is in doubt. So maybe Eagle revised their procedures ever since your friend left.

regards,

Odd. He just left there within the last month. Maybe different procedures for different folks? He was adamant that it was SOP at Eagle.

Latest resources

Back