RJ reverse thrust... overdose!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CitationLover said:
you wouldn't be on reserve if others did not pick up OT. there would also be some CA slots open at AE, but you're right we're off topic.

AE trains the CRJ crews to use full reverse upon landing. the million dollar question is whether or not the nose should be on the ground before actuating the reversers....it seems every CA has a different opinion.

all the TWA guys i've talked to have stated that the S-80's at AA were by far the worst sounding brakes compared to the 80's at TWA. maybe they had an axe to grind, i dunno.

Citation - When I was a senior lineholder back in good times, people picked up OT. When we started furloughing, people picked up OT. Today, people still pick up OT. There will always be guys in it for themselves, regardless. Welcome to the APA, eat your young for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Me personally, I just didn't do it as a lineholder when we had guys out on the street. Never needed to.

Back to the brakes... I've ridden on 80s from TWA, AA, and DAL, and every so often you get one that rattles. It's just the brake system. For a TWA guy to say that AA's brakes sound the worst... well, yeah, he's probably got an ax to grind. I never noticed any difference between airlines. Most of those guys are cool as can be but you will always have the bad apples that will bitch about anything for their whole career - true at any airline.

Baronman said:
Land a CRJ around stall speed? The only thing I can think of is that when I see a CRJ coming in, it sure looks like it's about 1 deg aircraft nose down...That's probably why it seems like a 3 point landing (in the CRJ). It would be near imposible to do a 3 point in the ERJ as it comes down the 3 degree glide slope at about +1/2 deg. Just plant it on the RWY dude....

As for it decelerating faster near stall speed wrong......A plane decelerates faster once it's on the ground rather then bleeding the speed off in the air to achieve a near stall landing.

CRJ's are nose down because they don't have leading edge lift devices from what I've been told....check out the AOA on a CRJ70. Big difference....because it has slats.

-Neal

aa73 said:
Citation - When I was a senior lineholder back in good times, people picked up OT. When we started furloughing, people picked up OT. Today, people still pick up OT. There will always be guys in it for themselves, regardless. Welcome to the APA, eat your young for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Me personally, I just didn't do it as a lineholder when we had guys out on the street. Never needed to.

Back to the brakes... I've ridden on 80s from TWA, AA, and DAL, and every so often you get one that rattles. It's just the brake system. For a TWA guy to say that AA's brakes sound the worst... well, yeah, he's probably got an ax to grind. I never noticed any difference between airlines. Most of those guys are cool as can be but you will always have the bad apples that will bitch about anything for their whole career - true at any airline.

aa73,

i respect you for taking a principled stance like that, as do alot of the new CA's here at Eagle (ie flowbies). i think the thing that gets most now is it seems AMR is actively counting on people to pick up OT so they can keep the airline understaffed and leave the 3000 on the street.

BlackPilot628 said:
We use full reverse on the E170 on every landing; unless you're landing on a 8000 runway and the terminal is upwind of the landing runway.
The brakes on the E170 have a bad problem of heating up and 1 out of the 4 Overtemping to the point it locks up and/or begins to smoke.

Dude, where are you getting this from?

CitationLover said:
aa73,

i think the thing that gets most now is it seems AMR is actively counting on people to pick up OT so they can keep the airline understaffed and leave the 3000 on the street.

Well Yeah! This is the very thing that has all of our panties in a bind! Have to say, I'm not surprised. A couple of months ago they came to the pilots asking for guys not to take vacation this summer and to pick up OT on days off, and the union told 'em to buzz off unless recalls were involved. Now it seems they are doing the same thing, again.

CitationLover said:
have you heard your brakes in the S80's at AA? it sounds to me like you use no reverse at all. squeak squeal all the while taxiing. no criticism, just curious.

I rode in an AA S80 just today, and noticed the same thing. But the five across seating is worth the noise.

jrav8tor, thats sure to get you in trouble when/if you have a low energy go around, you'll wish you had the extra speed. And dont even think about doing that with a check airmen or a fed on board. The 200 just lands that way, the 601 and 604 is the exact same way. Just the way the A/C is designed and it works fine. I think the 200 is about the easiest to land airplane I've ever flown.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back