• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Right seat captain stories

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
wow that's deep... and also pretty stupid.... i've been in both seats.

i would agree when i'm in a bad or sour mood it definitly sets a bad setting in the flight deck. buttttt

you get these self entitled right seat guys, that think they are maverick.... and they need a little cleaning out . a little colonosocopy

If you get the types we all know in the right seat, have at it for the whole trip, some deserve it. However as you said it's the CAs airplane, he/she sets the tone not the FO. Often times it's the CA that messes it up, I mean if you've got to tell your FO to center the heading bug, what's going to happen when you're passed out in the lav, single engine, icing at night with the roof blown off?

Couple years ago I was flying with this 40 plus year old "captain" who sat in the FO seat who had more hours than I did. I kept on asking why he didn't upgrade and he would have every excuse in the book, "I like my schedule", "I like my base" "My dog ate my Atp written results" Once I figured it he was too afraid or just unable to upgrade I stopped asking. This guy knew everything about the plane(BE-1900D) not only was he GOD's gift to aviation I think Beechcraft specifically made the 1900D so he could fly it. He had to Monday morning quarterback everything I did. He even had the nerve to tell me, "I think the company should make some first officers Check Airmen" LOL HAHAHAHA I said, you can barely check yourself in the mirror in the morning what makes you qualified to check someone else especially considering the fact that you never sat in the captain's seat. He shut his mouth for the rest of trip. This was a couple years ago and I long left that company and his a$$ is still sitting in the right seat running his mouth with 5000 plus hours without an ATP. Like I always say being an FO is like going to Vegas and playing with fake chips it doesn't matter what you do U CANT LOSE. I am a FO now so if you are a first officer I don't want to hear your sob stories.......its called PAYING YOUR DUES. Kind of like you don't go from doing your SOLO to commerical pilot. There is a certain process remember how school worked. 1st grade.......2nd grade....whats next .....??? U can do it. You get my point. If you are one of those FO's that we are talking about..... here is some advice, instead of asking the FA for some coffee in the morning try a nice warm glass of SHUT the FUcc UP. Trust me we will all be happier and believe it or not including u.

wow that's deep... and also pretty stupid.... i've been in both seats.

i would agree when i'm in a bad or sour mood it definitly sets a bad setting in the flight deck. buttttt

you get these self entitled right seat guys, that think they are maverick.... and they need a little cleaning out . a little colonosocopy

So you are agreeing with me and calling me stupid. That would mean... No, you couldn't also be stupid. That would be too ironic.

And if the guy in the left seat does not have the command presence to diplomatically readjust the self-entitled right seat guy and, if diplomacy fails, to then effectively readjust the right seat guy then the problem is not in the right seat.

It's true though. Right seat captains endure because the Left seat captains won't SQUASH THEM LIKE BUGS (when they deserve it).

I agree to some extent. Call it laziness or apathy, I tend to just let it be for the sake of decorum. I mean I won't tolerate dangerous behaviors or back talk to myself or ATC or other members of the crew but for the most part I let them entertain themselves with their endless drable of consciousness. If you give a jack A$$ a hand grenade eventually he will blow himself the F up.

Axel while i see what your saying is a great idea in a vacuum.
I find it just doesn't work at times, being nice to the person, being all to kind to the person, the right seat captain (rsc) rolls right over the whole crew. so where yea doing it the diplomatic way is the first and BEST choice at times that DOESNT work. This wierdo in the right seat wont be paying my car payment if i get canned because he flips a switch that isn't his to flip. its all about accountability. I am all for working together, heck thats why there is two seats up there, but the tie breaker in the end is up to the left seat if it comes to that point.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back