• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Right seat captain stories

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
the large text means nothing, i was noticing on a the reply thread that one can change the font size... dont read into it

That is why the second part of the statement about to effectively readjust when diplomatic efforts fail.

If the RSC is running over the entire crew it is because the captain is allowing it. Yes, I acknowledge the existence of the RSC. I also acknowledge the fact that it is the real captain's responsibility to establish and maintain his authority.

Command presence; command authority. I don't like to be a jerk, but I am when I have to be.

thats actually a perfect statement Axel... "I don't like to be a jerk, but I am when I have to be." well said!!!

Axel you might want to consider not writing in code or at least use proper punctuation so we know what you're talking about.

Been on both sides of this one. Recently, I have challenged myself to find thing about myself I can improve. Scary.

Pilots' egos are the most fragile. I think 99% of boorish behavior in the cockpit (or out) is caused by insecurity.

I think one of the most important jobs of a Captain is to listen. Not hear --> LISTEN.

Thoughts?

I have pulled some crazy stuff to relieve some tension too. Not be ready for the van in the morning (believe it ... you have to be sure you can still get to the gate for ontime dep.). Somewhat hard landing. You have to pull the relief valve at times or the pressure is unmanageable.

Also a captain can go a long way towards preventing the "right seat captain" phenomona by paying attention and ensuring there is a captain in the left seat. If there's a massive leadership vacuum somebody will fill it eventually.

Sitting there in cruise, with a lousy routing in front of us, at our filed FL but well below our optimum, seatbelts and engine anti-ice on in severe clear, glass smooth air, USAToday in the up an locked position. Ya just think to yourself 'Jesus', where do I begin.

Or, I remember the appalled look on this Captains face when he discovered I'd helped myself to the brakes while we were taxiing. He's got this look of shock, why aren't you letting me move? Well get off your cellphone, dooshbag, and I'll explain the hold short clearance we just received and repeated for you but you didn't hear or understand.

Anyway, like I said, a leadership vacuum will be filled, and it might not be elegant.

Or, I remember the appalled look on this Captains face when he discovered I'd helped myself to the brakes while we were taxiing. He's got this look of shock, why aren't you letting me move? Well get off your cellphone, dooshbag, and I'll explain the hold short clearance we just received and repeated for you but you didn't hear or understand.

Really? Who is the real dooshbag here? Since you have this fetish with a vacuum I would have said "suck it".

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back