• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Right seat captain stories

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I had been a CA for 10-15 years, both Corp and 121, but was new to the 145. On this trip I got a reserve FO about 6 months total in the industry since graduating from one of the more prominent university aviation degree programs.

He was annoyed. For the full 1 1/2 hours enroute I was regaled with his opinion that the seat assignment should be based on education and time in type rather than total experience and seniority. It was clear he felt that each of us was in the incorrect seat. He was, in equal measures, uncooperative and petulant.

He was FP. On final to a southeastern airport, tower told us "cleared to land, wind calm." We had a significant wind correction angle on final and the FMS wind vector showed a 20 knot direct right crosswind. At about 500 feet the wind was still there so I asked for a wind check. Calm. I repeated to the FO "Calm wind on the surface," to which he replied with a sigh.

At about 50 feet the wind died. There was some turbulence which caught him by surprise and after about 2 seconds of wrestling we ended up at 10 feet over the runway with the same heading we had on final, but now in calm wind.

I allowed this to continue until we were about 1/2 way between the centerline and the edge, then commented "Runway is over here." He slapped it down hard, swerved back to the correct heading hard enough to make things rattle in the galley and then did nothing else.

"2000 feet remaining." He slammed on the brakes trying for the next turnoff and was slowing through 60 as we shot by it. I took the tiller and we turned off at the end of a 9000 foot runway.

I did not say anything other than "That thing with the wind is common in this part of the country." He did not have much to say on the return leg.

Last edited:
Space Cowboy i agree with what you are saying with regard to hearing and not listening... i have noticed most responses are geared towards the captain being causing/allowing, the right seat captain idea to happen... while i agree with that, there are still times when the person already feels as if they are the captain and nothing is going to change that.. i was looking forward to humor stories of unbelievable arrogance... but where the threads have gone in the past 15 posts or so are important as well.

I did not say anything other than "That thing with the wind is common in this part of the country." He did not have much to say on the return leg.

That's probably the best way to handle those types. You didn't have to say much, but made him feel like a jackas s.

Also a captain can go a long way towards preventing the "right seat captain" phenomona by paying attention and ensuring there is a captain in the left seat. If there's a massive leadership vacuum somebody will fill it eventually.

Sitting there in cruise, with a lousy routing in front of us, at our filed FL but well below our optimum, seatbelts and engine anti-ice on in severe clear, glass smooth air, USAToday in the up an locked position. Ya just think to yourself 'Jesus', where do I begin.

Or, I remember the appalled look on this Captains face when he discovered I'd helped myself to the brakes while we were taxiing. He's got this look of shock, why aren't you letting me move? Well get off your cellphone, dooshbag, and I'll explain the hold short clearance we just received and repeated for you but you didn't hear or understand.

Anyway, like I said, a leadership vacuum will be filled, and it might not be elegant.

Be it known I don't taxi around talking on my cell phone. But at that point I would BREAK both of your legs.

Space Cowboy i agree with what you are saying with regard to hearing and not listening... i have noticed most responses are geared towards the captain being causing/allowing, the right seat captain idea to happen... while i agree with that, there are still times when the person already feels as if they are the captain and nothing is going to change that.. i was looking forward to humor stories of unbelievable arrogance... but where the threads have gone in the past 15 posts or so are important as well.

To a certain extent, allowing right seat folks to make decisions is part of our job. With good FO's I usually let them run the show the way they want to. I hand them the signed release after I take a peek at it and pretty much let them run with the ball. The good ones with good leadership skills will respect you for allowing them to learn , make good decisions, and ask your opinion on a lot of stuff. When the $hit hits the fan or they fall behind you have to be on it to make the right decisions but for the most part it makes your life easier and gives them a chance to learn to make good decisions. More importantly it teaches them to learn to respect their own authority and the people working for them. Leadership isn't getting people to work hard its working harder than all the other people.

One other thing. I always try to save their face. If I have to overrule a decision or suggest another path I try and save their ego. I know at some point in my career I'll screw up and maybe they'll look out for me in return.

That being said..I agree...some just have to be schooled. Some CFI, Mother, or School Teacher, early in their career missed that all important step

To a certain extent, allowing right seat folks to make decisions is part of our job. With good FO's I usually let them run the show the way they want to. I hand them the signed release after I take a peek at it and pretty much let them run with the ball. The good ones with good leadership skills will respect you for allowing them to learn , make good decisions, and ask your opinion on a lot of stuff. When the $hit hits the fan or they fall behind you have to be on it to make the right decisions but for the most part it makes your life easier and gives them a chance to learn to make good decisions. More importantly it teaches them to learn to respect their own authority and the people working for them. Leadership isn't getting people to work hard its working harder than all the other people.

One other thing. I always try to save their face. If I have to overrule a decision or suggest another path I try and save their ego. I know at some point in my career I'll screw up and maybe they'll look out for me in return.

That being said..I agree...some just have to be schooled. Some CFI, Mother, or School Teacher, early in their career missed that all important step

Very well said!

very well said...

I, a lot of times, will ask my f.o what he thinks about the radar as we look at it in the crew room. if they say
i've not looked at it yet, or
they give their opinion...... kudos.
but if they say

"i dont know"

then i'm not very confident in their abilities to think for them selves.

Also a captain can go a long way towards preventing the "right seat captain" phenomena by paying attention and ensuring there is a captain in the left seat. If there's a massive leadership vacuum somebody will fill it eventually.

Very true.

To a certain extent, allowing right seat folks to make decisions is part of our job. With good FO's I usually let them run the show the way they want to. I hand them the signed release after I take a peek at it and pretty much let them run with the ball. The good ones with good leadership skills will respect you for allowing them to learn , make good decisions, and ask your opinion on a lot of stuff. When the $hit hits the fan or they fall behind you have to be on it to make the right decisions but for the most part it makes your life easier and gives them a chance to learn to make good decisions. More importantly it teaches them to learn to respect their own authority and the people working for them.
Leadership isn't getting people to work hard its working harder than all the other people.

As others wrote, well said. Putting fo's 'in their place' is only a small percentage (or at least I hope so) of a captain's responsibility. It is also to teach and allow them to learn what's required to sit in your seat. If all they ever see is a capt telling them to shut up and 'respect' the authority then that is what they'll become when they upgrade.

When it's their leg or sometimes mine I, like someone else wrote, also use the radar and will ask what they think we should do. Unfortunately XJ has really good training in lots of areas but they fail miserably at teaching radar usage-about 98% of fo's I fly with, through no fault of their own, haven't the slightest idea what the hell they're looking at (though many act as though they do). I've watched them try and avoid more ground returns and flat out missed weather more times than not.

All that being said, there are those times when the situation has gone from annoying to intolerable and one needs to have the 'here's how it's gonna be' speech. Thankfully, maybe I'm just lucky, I've rarely run into that.

Getting on the brakes during taxi...??? I don't know about that one...

Be it known I don't taxi around talking on my cell phone. But at that point I would BREAK both of your legs.

I'm probably alive today because I did that. Captain's response after realizing I keep him from taxing into the path of a landing MD-80, "Oh, I would have caught that." *Sigh* You're welcome.

Latest resources

Back