• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Right seat captain stories

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well just like not all FO's are created equal, neither are CA's.

Case & point

---- Fast upgrade Mesa RJ Captain

---- 7 - Year American Eagle RJ Captain

It shouldn't take 7 years to become competant, but think about the captains that have barely gotten their airline cherry popped.

Some people could upgrade in a week, others should never get the keys. I'm more scared of the folks that tell me how easy my job is and how ready they are than the ones that tell me they are worried about the responsibility or getting through training.

If there is a problem with the person in the right seat, the real problem is the person in the left seat.

You have good experience, I can see that from your posts. However, at my current airline about 95% + of the FO's have no RSC tendencies at all. As a result, one can easily be unaccustomed and unprepared for handling them. One of my former RSC's is now a CA, rapidly making his way up to the top of the most disliked CA's list. RSC's usually become micro-manager CA's no FO's like. My point is a good CA should and can manage a RSC, but it does take a good amount of extra effort and energy. I had quite a troublesome one recently.

It all comes down to whether your FO respects your POSITION as PIC. If he or she doesn't, there's going to be tension between the two which will interfere with the crew performance and safety.

I will have to say that FO's have the easiest job in the world, come on in all honesty what do we really do, yea fly the plane, but a monkey could do that, probably the hardest part is trying to figure out what the guy in the left seat is all about each week, but after that, if you really think this job is tough, you haven't ever been out in the real world. Just do your job have fun, and don't be an over controling idiot and you won't be the subject of all these hilarious posts. I can't believe some of this sh*t is true.

Now just do the job that is expected of you, evaluating the captain and second guessing him/her is not your job! Remember you are NOT in the training department.

Get back into your time machine, Captain Arrogant.

This might sound "crazy" to you, but some of the FO's have MORE experience than the captain as a PIC.

Your profile says it all:

Curr Position: Ruler of the Universe, King of all, but you can call me captain!

Rite........... Mr. RSC

My profile is meant to be facetious.

Last edited:
This thread is rich. You're a Captain because your number came up. That's it ladies.

PIPE

.......and because you actually made it through training. Seen planty FOs not make it through the upgrade. You're not there until you're there.

I will have to say that FO's have the easiest job in the world, come on in all honesty what do we really do, yea fly the plane, but a monkey could do that, probably the hardest part is trying to figure out what the guy in the left seat is all about each week, but after that, if you really think this job is tough, you haven't ever been out in the real world. Just do your job have fun, and don't be an over controling idiot and you won't be the subject of all these hilarious posts. I can't believe some of this sh*t is true.

Let me introduce you to a friend I call "The Period".

Latest resources

Back