• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SCE to AUX

Do other CEO's do this sort of thing?

To: All Republic Associates
RE: Company update for 10-6-06
Good afternoon. Sorry for not publishing my update last week but I have been considering writing
a controversial letter for a while and have been prayerfully deliberating my words. After much
internal struggle, I have decided to publish it and take the heat.
What pushed me over the top was a headline I read last week that the loss of American lives in
Afghanistan and Iraq now exceeds the loss of American lives experienced in the 9-11 attacks. I
suppose the idea the media would like to convey is that the Bush Administration’s policies in the
Middle East are flawed and are leading to more American casualties than simply allowing
terrorists to operate unchallenged in the world. I don’t want to get started on a rant against the
liberal media in this country, nor do I want to become a Bush apologist (clearly there is much that
should be open for debate there) but seriously there are many other ways that thousands of
American’s die each year and none for as noble a cause as replacing a dictator with democracy
or oppression with freedom.
However, if the news media is truly concerned with the loss of American lives, then why don’t I
see more written about the tragic and totally avoidable loss of 4,000 American lives every day to
abortion? I would like to read how our country’s leadership and citizenry are mobilizing against
this genocidal assault on the unborn. Can you imagine what we would do if every day we opened
the paper and read about how 4,000 babies were needlessly killed in America, today and
everyday to come, until we as a nation have the courage to protect those who can not protect
themselves?
I was at a right to life dinner a few weeks ago and the speaker quoted Mother Teresa in a speech
she gave in Washington several years ago. It was provocative to say the least. Let me share a
few passages with you.
“… I feel that the greatest destroyer of peace today is abortion, because it is a war against the
child, a direct killing of the innocent child, murder by the mother herself.
And if we accept that a mother can kill even her own child, how can we tell other people not to kill
one another? How do we persuade a woman not to have an abortion?
As always, we must persuade her with love and remind ourselves that love means to be willing to
give until it hurts.
Jesus gave even His life to love us. So, the mother who is thinking of abortion should be helped
to love, that is, to give until it hurts her plans, or her free time, to respect the life of her child. The
father of that child, whoever he is, must also give until it hurts.
By abortion, the mother does not learn to love, but kills even her own child to solve her problems.
And, by abortion, that father is told that he does not have to take any responsibility at all for the
child he has brought into the world. The father is likely to put other women into the same trouble.
So abortion just leads to more abortion.
Any country that accepts abortion is not teaching its people to love, but to use any violence to get
what they want. This is why the greatest destroyer of love and peace is abortion.”
It’s that last line that really caught my attention. When we see school kids killing other schools
kids it really rings true that we are cultivating a culture of death in this country when we should be
working to create a culture of life. Can we really be surprised or shocked by what we see
happening with increased frequency when we teach children and teens that they can “choose”
when to respect life and when to end it.
I have known women who have had abortions and to say their concerns end after the procedure
is completed is a sad misperception. Many women that have had abortions suffer serious, long
term complications both physical and (more importantly) psychological. And is that really
surprising? How distressing it must be to have to even consider making such a choice. And yet it
is the matter of “choice” that the liberal media would like to frame the debate. How can we deny a
woman the right to “choose” what to do with her body?
We have turned sex in to a form of recreation or sport rather than an act of love between two
people in a loving and committed material relationship. The possibility of life being created from
this unselfish act of love should be welcomed not feared. By defining sex as a momentary act of
pleasure without considering its natural, life-giving consequences is simply selfish; putting the
needs of the individual over the needs of God and family. Having said that, the debate is not
necessarily one of sexual freedom; nor imposing Christian morality on society. The debate is
about the ability to take a human life. And as long as this country is unwilling to defend the most
vulnerable of its society, then we are all at risk.
As the November elections approach, I ask you to prayerfully consider this important issue in your
selection of representatives you send to Congress. We can all agree that choice is yours to
make.​

Bedford wrote and ranting letter and mailed it to all Mesaba pilots back in 1998 or 1999. Two weeks later he resigned.

I think company communications should be kept in house.

Whether you agree with him or not, I really can’t believe he uses company updates for such topics. If he was a lower level employee I’m sure he’d be fired.

Oh well, I guess I'd rather have emails like that versus the "take a 20% paycut or we'll slash your job" emails that we get seemingly every other day.

holy smokes! I cant believe he put that out, that is just not the place. None of the FO's nor FA's can afford to have kids on the salary at a regional anyway. He could probably fix the problem himself by giving them all a raise!

A personal view is just that. He isn't paid for his religious views, he is paid to run RAH and should concentrate on that alone. His position should not be used as a platform to implement a religious agenda. The subject matter is inmaterial.

I respect everyone's right to their opinion, even if I don't agree with it.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back