• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Rev Bedford's Sunday School Lesson To RAH

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Airing your company's dirty laundry on the internet is never a good thing. This should have been kept in-house at RAH.
The difference here is that his "Weekly Updates" are also posted in HDQ in public areas so there is no expectation of privacy or "keeping it in-house" for him. He's loving this b/c he's feeling "the heat" (martyr for the faith) as he described it and getting people to pass on his message for him.

The Weekly Update is posted in .pdf format on the private company website, and although it might be posted publically around HDQ, nobody outside of the employee group would have known about this stupidity short of visiting Purdue Road or a crewroom had an RAH crewmember not posted its contents here for the world to see.

Its your sandbox not mine...but this entire thing seems to be exceedingly stupid to me. I agree with BB's sentiments but he definately took advantage of his position to 'spread the gospel' and work is no place to be preaching from a bully pulpit...

These cries of a "hostile work environment" are exceedingly silly. He's not deriding one's race or gender, aspects of an individual that cannot be changed. Nor is he deriding a specific religiosity, or lack thereof. His memo is about as strongly worded as the President's "Good night, and God Bless America" at the end of the state of the union address.

Let us remember that abortion is a behavior, a descision, a choice of the mother. It is not a genetic condition. It is not protected under the Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. It is no different than smoking (highly discouraged by Alaksa) or wearing a massive facial piercing (discouraged by just about every airline). Continental is on this "Work Safe, Live Safe" campaign with t-shirts and stickers on every piece of GSE at the airline. Is this creating a "hostile work environment" for the rock climbers, base jumpers, and hanggliders that work at the airline? Such a contention is preposterous.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that he should be drug before HUAC and shot. Incidently, I believe an argument could be made that the supposed analgous cases you mention are in fact creating a hostile work enviornment. The case won't be made because no one cares to make it. Likewise, I wouldn't go to the trouble of attempting to confront an airline manager with lawyers. They'd smell their own kind and refuse to attack.

That said, the very fact that a great number of people find it incredibly offensive suggests to me that it is unprofessional. His job is to make the company money. Alienating employees (or potential employees) in pursuit of his theological agenda is not doing his job. If he wants to irritate people on his own time, great, let him knock on doors like everyone else. At least then there would be some personal sacrifice involved, instead of self-righteous proseletyzing from a guy whose interests, again, pretty obviously run from A) making money, B) condemning the supposed sins of others, THEN (possibly) considering his own relationship with God and his adherence to the scriptures.

Mother Theresa and the Amish can wag their fingers at me and expect me to listen. Some bozo with an MBA, destroyed companies and lives behind him, and 13 hummers in the garage cannot. I might even get a little offended.

Last edited:
Sounds like an excellent case of hostile workplace for an employee who's had an abortion to take to the Department of Labor.

P.S. I actually agree with everything Mr. Bedford said in his "update," but it's entirely inappropriate to put in any sort of official company communications. The Board of Directors should sanction him for this.

So, Mr. Bedford says what he thinks, in a company wide update.

I'm truely amazed how ignorant some of you are. AA, LCC, NWA, CAL, SWA, DAL and several regional carriers all publically and financially support liberal, non-religious--even anti-religious organizations. AA has been a big supporter of People for the American Way, GLAD, and others openly support other pro-gay organizations like ACT-UP and Planned Parenthood, many through the United Way. They spend millions of $$$ for their support.

Bedford makes a an opine in a company update that someone published on this board and your head pops!??? :puke:

Wake up and smell the anti-religious bias and go vote.

T8

Who said any of those organizations are non religious. What are YOU, the decider of what is Christian and what is not? No, I don't think so. Just because someone is gay, or has an abortion, absolutely, POSITIVELY dose NOT mean that they are not Christian.

Who said any of those organizations are non religious. What are YOU, the decider of what is Christian and what is not? No, I don't think so. Just because someone is gay, or has an abortion, absolutely, POSITIVELY dose NOT mean that they are not Christian.

Nope, just my OPINION. And your premise is correct. But, with that said, traditionally, the organizations mentioned in my post have been opposed to faith based intiatiatives and values, backing up their OPINIONS with the ACLU and PFSCS.

Therefore the fact remains, Airline Companies do take social/political positions by the organizations they financially support. They essentially "speak" with their wallets and bank accounts. Mr. Bedford's "crime" has been to use his position as CEO of RAH as a bullypulpit for his personal views.

So, I guess you're saying it's ok for the BOD to authorize the message, but not the CEO. Fair enough. :erm:

T8

I want the 15 minutes of my life back I just spent reading that.

Religion is a good thing when taken in moderation. If the fanatical religious folks had their way, we'd have no rights at all. Let's see... no abortions, no pork, no sex, no dancing, no drinking, no smoking, no beef, no shellfish, no women wearing jeans, no swearing, no lotteries, no gambling, no hundreds of other things many of us "sinners" do everyday. Might as well go back to the concetration camp era. This time we'd all be incarcerated. When a$$nuggets like this get their way, it's back to the dark ages.....

To: All Republic Associates
RE: Company update for 10-6-06
Good afternoon. Sorry for not publishing my update last week but I have been considering writing
a controversial letter for a while and have been prayerfully deliberating my words. After much
internal struggle, I have decided to publish it and take the heat.

Winter's coming, heat will be provided, unless you can't pay your gas or electric bill.

Wow though, I think he's set the precedent to allow any RAH employee to pontificate their left to center to right views to their fellow RAH employees on any of the controversial subjects! What freedom Mr. Bedford is giving you RAH employees! Employees with liberal personal morals should feel especially welcome at RAH, since the door to expressing your views has been opened so wide.

I think that was good sarcasm.

Latest resources

Back