• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
mobie said:
Only after I hand fly an app. to mins.
Mobie

....and I remember when waking up stiff in the morning was a good thing.

Old Age and International Flying

Just remember the rules:
Do not eat any vegetable with the skin on
Do not pass a chance to have your laundry done
Never fart unless you are in a restroom
Never ignore an erection even if you are by yourself.

Has worked for many longhaul pilots.

Mobie

While Airline/Corp/135/military flying have their similarities, there isn't a whole lot of overlap. Airline guys need to percieve themselves as qualified, but inexperienced when it comes time to cross over to the 135 world. As with most pilot problems, it's 1% ability and 99% attitude. Most pilots convince themselves they can do it all and a very small number actually prove they can.

Why can't you fart in the cockpit?

How else is someone with an otherwise 15 year-old mentality keep themselves entertained?

Bringupthebird said:
While Airline/Corp/135/military flying have their similarities, there isn't a whole lot of overlap. Airline guys need to percieve themselves as qualified, but inexperienced when it comes time to cross over to the 135 world. As with most pilot problems, it's 1% ability and 99% attitude. Most pilots convince themselves they can do it all and a very small number actually prove they can.

Excellent statement. One needs to know their own limitations! Each theatre in the aviation community is a little different. If you needed training and some IOE to fly a heavy, why would you not need it to fly 135?

Attitude can make all the difference in the world, however in end if you can't fly then it is time to hang it up.

AA

CapnVegetto said:
I'll have to concede some of this to you guys, but you are talking about the pinnacle of aviation experience here......not the day to day operations of the airlines. I'll admit that my airline experience has been limited to the regionals, and that my international experience has been limited to a lot of Carribbean flying and one trip across the pond to Iceland, but on the same token, my regional experience was dealing with some of the most inept pilots I have ever seen. Less than half the guys I flew with had any idea how to make a fuel order without a release. I once asked a 15 year captain at my company to file a flight plan from PHX to TUS over the phone so that we could just go instead of waiting another hour for dispatch to get around to it, and he had no clue how to do it. After I did it, he was completely amazed. Every time anything came up, they were on SELCAL talking to company asking them what they should do. I had 30 minute flightplans filed at FL330 in a CRJ200, and captains that would actually try to f-ing climb up there while I just sat there with my mouth open. Almost everyone was the same, takeoff, autopilot on, turn it off at about 300 feet. Every leg, every time. When I wanted to hand fly an approach, sometimes raw data, because I wanted the practice, I got everything from dirty looks to 'NO DON'T DO THAT!!'s. Every day at my operation was show up, program the FMS, drive the plane, go home.

I'd always imagined things were better at the 'real' airlines, and I'm sure they are. But my limited experiences of flying with heavy iron guys have been nearly the same. Flew with one guy in a Learjet that couldn't even taxi the thing. Another 15,000 hr retired DL pilot I know has trouble finding contract work anymore because "he has no idea how to fly an airplane smoothly." I had an AA 777 FO scare the hell out of me in a 172 when I was a flight instructor. My old boss told me the most scared he's ever been in his life was trying to teach a United 747 CA how to fly a Kingair. My best friend was nearly arrested crossing into the US in a Kingair from the Carribbean because he was flying with a Delta 767 guy that had no idea how to deal with customs, but was trying to act like he did.

I'm sure that flying with some of you guys would change my mind, but my admittedly limited experiences have been mostly bad. Everyone is a product of their experience. I'm just stating mine. Is it right or wrong, who the hell knows? I'd be willing to bet there are just as many jackoffs in GA cockpits just as there are in 121 cockpits. I guess I've been on the wrong end of the 121 spectrum.

Sorry you had to deal with the 1%. If they introduce themselves as god's gift to aviation they are most likely the 1%. Hopefully in the future you will fly with one of us aviation freaks! The ones that fly on the side, still go to Oshkosh, fly tail-draggers, write on these aviation message boards...You know the ones I am talking about.

Take Care,

AA

mobie said:
...and not ask my wife where she is based after sex.

Mobie

LMAO! You see, I was at TWA for 15 years. I never had to worry about getting laid on the road... :( ;) TC

P.S.--It's easy to get in a routine with the airlines. I'm not at all intimidated by the prospect of flying to Katmandu these days but going back and taking a line check in an S80 with an uptight, anal-retentive Line Check Airman who thinks he invented flying isn't too appetizing...

Latest resources

Back