• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Retired Airline... 135 pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Your right, most 121 guys are cast from the same mold, sop's are probably one of the biggest difference you will notice when you observe 121 vs 91 ops in any aircraft, be it a Citation or a GV. Seems like the 91 guys all ahve their very own set of standards and most of them could pass for vodoo flying techniques at best. Also right about airline guys not getting the big service picture that 135/91 ops frequently require. However most of them will "get it" if properly trained as that is one thing 121 pilots are very use to...training. I'm sorry your experince with 121 pilots has been less than satisfactory. It's to bad as there is so much that both groups could learn from each other.

I have several friends who have made the leap from 121 to 91 and two of them are now running Fortune 500, multi aircraft operations with pay checks well north of 250K, so don't cry to me that airline guys are under cutting your pay scales as these guys have brought everyone in their flight departments up with them. I was the CP in a corporate flight department where paid all of our FA in excess of 110K, and the pilots, mechanics all enjoyed very generous incomes, so I have a hard time sheding tears for your sistuation.

Did I mention something about pay?

Just to repeat myself I didn't mention anything about pay.

I will reassert that a 121 pilot will not like working as hard as I do. Unless they have been doing 135 flying on the side and they know what the deal is.

Did I mention something about pay?

Just to repeat myself I didn't mention anything about pay.

I will reassert that a 121 pilot will not like working as hard as I do. Unless they have been doing 135 flying on the side and they know what the deal is.

Sorry for the pay infusion. Others seem to think that airline pilots are somehow lowering the bar. I don't think so but maybe?

As for 135 being harder than 121, maybe you should try some of the Part 121 ACMI operators and ask them about their operations. Totallt different than any Part 135, but none the less a lot of work.

Keep up the good work!

After 25 years in the Corp side of the biz, I have never heard of anyone in the Biz making north of 250k.
Maybe the 3 guys on the planet that earn that are extremely lucky.
As a rule its the majority of 121 folks that will accept the lower pay and a unfair training contract.
Its one thing when your starting out and trying to get your foot in the door and just happy to have a paycheck.
Like Bushwick said, they dont understand the big picture.
Spooky---GPWS

After 25 years in the Corp side of the biz, I have never heard of anyone in the Biz making north of 250k.
Maybe the 3 guys on the planet that earn that are extremely lucky.
As a rule its the majority of 121 folks that will accept the lower pay and a unfair training contract.
Its one thing when your starting out and trying to get your foot in the door and just happy to have a paycheck.
Like Bushwick said, they dont understand the big picture.
Spooky---GPWS

Sorry to burst your bubble but the guys making this money are former 121 guys who bailed around age 56. I simply do not agree that 121 guys are lowering the bar. Maybe it's just in the equipment that you operate. No contracts, no BS, just honest wages.

So...Spooky, how many former 121 pilots do you personally know that make over 250k?

Might be good info for ex ATA pilots, they might find a corporate gig starting at 175k, plus or minus a few k.

So...Spooky, how many former 121 pilots do you personally know that make over 250k?

Might be good info for ex ATA pilots, they might find a corporate gig starting at 175k, plus or minus a few k.

Well I not privy to everyone's W2, but I'm confident based upon what I do know that in my very small circle there are at least five or possibly six guys making that and all have previous 121 backgrounds, mostly DAL and UAL. 175K is a no brainer if your in the GV/GEX/Boeing category on the west coast. So what's your point? This whole discussion with you revolved around how the airlines have caused you to equip your aircraft with needless safety feature because of those airline pilots you seem to hate so much?

You're right Spooky, most training at 135 operations is done with smoke and mirrors, along with MEL and flight time procedures.

I was paired up during Learjet 20 series initial with a mid-60's ex-airline type with around 30,000 hours pilot time a few years ago. We ended up working for the same company. He had my experience about five times over, so he was the Captain whenever I flew with him. We flew all over the US, Canada, and Mexico and NDB approaches were probably the most common type. He knew his stuff and flew the little Lear like it was on rails. He was easily the most competent pilot I've ever had the pleasure of flying with. I've since flown with a ton of ex-121 types and have never had an occasion to doubt their ability. I don't know where this crap about ex-121 pilots comes from. Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Latest resources

Back