Retired Airline... 135 pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

pilothouston123

I want some help with this. I know that I will be in there place someday.

I have been flying 135 for 5 years and I am noticing more and more retired airline pilots joining up. Or hagning on. We have one guy that can't fly our airplane. Scares the shoot out of the passengers. But the guy can brown nose the DO like a professional.

I try to show him respect, and I won't stoop to his level and set him up. But I just want to tell him its time to hang em up. I know that is gunna hurt like nothing else....

I can deal with him, I just can't stand the way he shrugs off responsiblitites and brown noses. Plus he has hands like bricks, and flys the plane like a wheel barrell.

Thanks for letting me vent.

what kind of plane is it?

Did he fly boxes? boxes don't don't complain!

The ability to articulate and relate well with authority figures is something that comes with age and experience. Sounds like you're maybe younger and don't have alot of experience dealing with folks in the corporate world. "BS'ing" is an art form and is pretty much how our business world operates. Don't be offended by someone who is charismatic. I think you're intimidated by this guy? look at your own words.

It is a be20. He lands is sideways and on the nose wheel once. He flew heavy jets. I don't have a problem sucking up and dealing with my DO and Cheif pilot. I got a raise before he did and we started on the same day. I am 43 years old and yes that is younger than him at 63. I am not intimidated at all by him.

The question is: When is it time to hang em up? This is a subjective question. I expect a wide range of responses. Not attacts on my personality.

Thanks for your response

pilothouston123 said:
The question is: When is it time to hang em up?

Fascinating question. But I guess that, like Climbhappy, I have questions first for the questioner:

1. Is this pilot properly certificated and current? Pass his last check?
2. Is he dangerous? Not just poor airmanship - but dangerous, in decision making etc.
3. Do you attribute this pilot's described deficient airmanship to his age?
4. Suppose this were a young chap - would you do the same as you are proposing? Or some other remedy?
5. Suppose he were 55 and your CA - what then?

(But I am quite pleased no one has yet called this older chap a "scab" - quite yet.) J

Those are great questions. The only real dangerous this thing is is landings, Sidways on narrow runways. But I must take your point well, he might be poor airmanship even if he was younger.

Great point of view to share.

Houston, Your query is actually a very complex one, that’s why those five questions.

At its core of your post is the question: what are the limits of my responsibility; where is that “boundary where I end and the next chap begins.” And a lot of where that line is has to do with ones’ role (line pilot v CP, etc). So it is no simple question, there are no pat answers. I know what I would do. But that is by no means the “right” answer.

As to “when to hang ‘em up” – here’s a guess. I find that with age, things change; sometimes in their importance, sometimes the “why” of their being important. (Things definitely get better though.) But I think that for most aviators there comes a point where going sailing or golfing or something else is just as rewarding (and possibly less demanding) as piloting an airplane – and so you “hang ‘em up.” Usually this happens well before one is physically or cognitively not up to the task. But it’s a guess.

Pardner I have the same problem with a retired airline guy. he is hamfisted, can't figure out how to file a flight plan, preflight, busts altitude, headings, doesn't know the aircraft (flunked the type ride the first time), blames any problems on someone else not keeping him upright. He has plenty of money, I guess, at least that what he brags about. I could go on and on. Drives me nuts. They keep him because he is cheap to hire.

It's just plane stupid

soarby007 said:
Pardner I have the same problem with a retired airline guy. he is hamfisted, can't figure out how to file a flight plan, preflight, busts altitude, headings, doesn't know the aircraft (flunked the type ride the first time), blames any problems on someone else not keeping him upright. He has plenty of money, I guess, at least that what he brags about. I could go on and on. Drives me nuts. They keep him because he is cheap to hire.

The insurance companies only look at a persons' total/multi/turbine time to determine how qualified they are. In fact some of these retired airline captains haven't flown anything smaller than a 767 for over 10 years. They haven't flown anything that dosen't have a full autopilot coupled to an FMS and autothrottles. They haven't filed a flt plan or had to make a dissicion that didn't involve an MEL, FOM, or FSM in years. WHY DO INSURANCE COMPANIES BELIEVE THEY ARE ALWAYS BETTER QUALIFIED??

I have all the respect in the world for these guys. They are the best at what they do, Capt of an airline, a very important job with a lot of responsibility, but it does not mean that they are the best choice to fly a King Air.

Latest resources

Back