Reporting Leaving an altitude

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Correct radio call:
"And Center, Flight xxx out of two phife oh for one tree thousand. Good evening."

I do it when I'm flying if it's not too busy. I haven't flown with many other people who do it and don't really care if they do or not. I've never heard anyone getting a hard time from a controller for not reporting leaving an altitude so apparently they don't care.

There are a few controllers on the board, maybe one could chime in?

2008 Aeronautical Information Manual (When did it change from Airman's Information Manual?)
Paragraph 5-3-3
a. The following reports should be made to ATC or FSS facilities without a specific ATC request:
1. At all times.
(a) When vacating any previously assigned altitude or flight level for a newly assigned altitude or flight level.

I would have to say that I comply with this 98% of the time. The other 2% is when the frequency is totally jammed up, and I would only add to the problem.

how much of a ******************************-bag would you be if you didn't make the call and a controller forgot and a loss of separation happened? Think they wouldn't violate you?
don't turn it into a big deal- but say it and don't worry if any of these guys think it's cool or not.

how much of a ******************************-bag would you be if you didn't make the call and a controller forgot and a loss of separation happened? Think they wouldn't violate you?
don't turn it into a big deal- but say it and don't worry if any of these guys think it's cool or not.

Well said...

I asked a controller with a pilots discretion descent if once you read back his clearance to descend if two minutes later you had to call again leaving that altitude. He indicated it wasn't required a second time. Made my FO's crazy if I didn't so usually did it a second time anyway.

Latest resources

Back