• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Reporting Leaving an altitude

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
During upgrade at airline number one, I was told by a Denver Center controller that reporting out of an altitude when given a crossing restriction is not required as the airspace is already blocked off, therefore I don't do it. But to each his own...

Our FOM specifically allows us up to 30 knots on straight taxiways. So nice try.

During taxi, just try not to key the mike when the GPWS is calling "V1" . . . it's considered "bad form".

Now, back to our originally scheduled argument. . . .

when you begin a descent after having accepted a clearance that included discretion, you aren't leaving a previously assigned altitude for a newly assigned altitude. you are descending within your assigned altitude.
no report to atc required.
that's why they respond with roger
that's why there has never been a violation for same

Paragraph 5-3-3
a. The following reports should be made to ATC or FSS facilities without a specific ATC request:
1. At all times.
(a) When vacating any previously assigned altitude or flight level for a newly assigned altitude or flight level.

From the AIM Flight Information Publication Policy:

"...This publication, while not regulatory, provides information which reflects examples of operating techniques and procedures which may be requirements in other federal publications or regulations..."

Anyone know if Paragraph 5-3-3 (or anything similar) appears anywhere in USC or FAR? Just curious, but it sounds like more typical check airman drivel then actual fact. Must be a qualification for the job.

Now if it's in the respective FOM I guess the company can compel you to state it, even if it isn't required by the regulatory agency, but it's still pretty stupid.

Threads about radio calls are almost as entertaining as threads about pilot costumes or ALPO. :rolleyes:

BTW I agree with cheater1239, I've read back the clearance so I'm done. After all, I have Sudoku to do.

Correct radio call:
"And Center, Flight xxx out of two phife oh for one tree thousand. Good evening."

To achieve proper form, you must begin the above referenced call with the ever-important: "Ahhhhhh..." (approximately 3 seconds in length, made with that 3 pack-a-day gravel voice, befitting of those with single digit seniority).

Drives women wild.

If flying in radar coverage in the Northeast Corridor on a Friday afternoon with weather everywhere, maybe not.

If flying into Africa in non radar talking to the "controller" with a barely understandable west African accent being filtered through a 60's vintage HF radio, sun at the 12 o'clock high position rendering HF communications dicey at best, absolutely without fail.

Just curious if the average airline guy makes a report to Center when leaving one altitude for another after he's given a PD or crossing restriction.

i.e.:
Center: Flight xxx cross GEELA at 11/250
Flight XXX: Cross Geela at 11/250
....when leaving altitude:
Flight XXX: Center, Flight XXX leaving FL230....

The check airman at WN point to an AIM sentence that says it's a required call. I've never done it before and quite frankly never heard anyone else do it until I started here at WN, so who's right?

Why are you even asking this question...yes it is required.

c'mon- you've never had a controller forget whether they gave you an altitude or not? OR keep you up high on an arrival b/c of traffic?
The AIM may not be regulatory- but from the FAA- careless and reckless is what they violate you w/ when you violate the AIM. If the pilot can be blamed- they will be. So why make it an issue.
I've never heard of a violation for it- and don't make it a big deal- but if the FAA didn't want that radio call- it's a real easy fix for them- take it out of the book. In the meantime, it's an easy call.

Latest resources

Back