Reporting Leaving an altitude

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I guess there are two kinds of pilots out there:

1. The dude who thinks the FAA is watching him at all times, that his F/O will NARC on him, and that the F/A, the pax, and the rampers all are out to get him. This guy will do everything by the book, and judges anyone that doesn't as an inferior pilot. He judges one's flying skills by knowing procedures verbatim and never veering off. This dude is usually called the "anal guy who no one wants to fly with".

2. The dude who is not afraid of his shadow and understands the regs and follows them because he wants to be safe, not because they are simply written in a manual. He understands that veering off regs is ok sometimes, as using his judgement is what he's paid for. This individual is considered the "laid back" guy who many of us strive to be - of course, not all ;)

I agree 100%

What's the proper phraseology for....

"Hey center, does anyone have the Steelers' score?"

I guess there are two kinds of pilots out there:

1. The dude who thinks the FAA is watching him at all times, that his F/O will NARC on him, and that the F/A, the pax, and the rampers all are out to get him. This guy will do everything by the book, and judges anyone that doesn't as an inferior pilot. He judges one's flying skills by knowing procedures verbatim and never veering off. This dude is usually called the "anal guy who no one wants to fly with".

2. The dude who is not afraid of his shadow and understands the regs and follows them because he wants to be safe, not because they are simply written in a manual. He understands that veering off regs is ok sometimes, as using his judgement is what he's paid for. This individual is considered the "laid back" guy who many of us strive to be - of course, not all ;)

i agree w/ this for the most part-- but it's too cool-cat: and usually these guys are the ones who didn't get laid enough in college and get most of their social identity from being cool in the flight deck.

There are two other types of pilots- those who've been the subject of an FAA witch-hunt (or been close to someone who has) and those who haven't. Doesn't mean your scared of your shadow- just means it's f-ing ridiculous to make this job harder than it is by being cool. It's in the AIM- say it. Don't make the job hard. Anything else and i'm curious what other anti-authority issues you got.

If you can't say "Center, ABC XXX two-seven zero descending wun wun thousand" in less than 3 seconds to New York, Cleveland or whoever, swallow the dry bagel in your mouth, take a swig of water then TRY.

That goes for the time stamp in the hold, too, for chrissake. ::shaking head in disbelief::

Well, I guess we know which group you represent.

Welcome aboard, you dust-farting dinosaur. :laugh:

Ty

Last edited:
Close but...

Correct radio call:
"And Center, Flight xxx out of two phife oh for one tree thousand. Good evening."

t...two phife ZERO...

my IOE capt was big on this, given the number of non-native english speakers on freq. Good practice too when yo start flying int'l.

Well, I guess we know which group you represent.

Welcome aboard, you dust-farting dinosaur. :laugh:

Ty

Thanks, Ty.

::in my best grampa voice (the best I can do for a 40 year old)::

"In my day, our double-I's would hit us with a rolled up NOS lo-enroute when we forgot to report leaving an altitude. And those dag-gum ADF's...I'll give you a needle flip!"

Seriously, I never thought calling out of one altitude was something so uncool. What the hell are CFII's doing, then? Why don't they teach this? I sure as hell did for the 5 years I taught. Just plain sense. As Web Wilder would say, "Pick up on it."

SCR

It is not "required". It is "recommended" per the AIM.

2008 Aeronautical Information Manual (When did it change from Airman's Information Manual?)
Paragraph 5-3-3
a. The following reports should be made to ATC or FSS facilities without a specific ATC request:
1. At all times.
(a) When vacating any previously assigned altitude or flight level for a newly assigned altitude or flight level.

"Required" reports would be compulsory reporting points in a non-radar environment, unable to climb/descend at 500 fpm, etc....

Latest resources

Back