Regional FOs: Check out NetJets

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Some reasons I chose to avoid the fracs:

1. I would hate 7 on 7 off. There's limited flexibility and 7 days gone is too long for me.

2. Long term I'll make better money at a major airline. Fracs pilots do a little better early on but a major airline pilot will probably do better in the long run. YMMV.

3. I'm lazy. I like having dispatch, rampies, fuelers, lav dumpers, baggage handlers, etc, etc. Tell me where I'm going, give me the paperwork, load it up, pull the chocks and send me on my way. When I get to my destination somebody else can unload it, service it and put the airplane to bed while I head for the hotel. I know that's lame, but you gotta give me points for being honest.

4. Hanging around the FBO for hours at a time blows.

5. Not knowing what's next is like permanent reserve. I like to know what I'm doing tomorrow so I can plan my rest, exercise and food.

6. I like to actually fly the plane half the legs. Some of the fracs have weird rules about letting the FO fly only the repo legs. Conversly, when I'm the CA I don't want to do most of the flying. 50/50 works best for me.

7. I like having some extra room in the cockpit. It's nice to be able to stand up and stretch a bit. Besides I don't think I'd like feeling like I have to tiptoe around in the back like I shouldn't be there or I'm intruding on the VIPs personal space. I want to be able to stroll down the aisle anytime I feel the need to.

8. I like having FAs to deal with the folks during the flight. I only get involved if there's an issue.

9. I like to catch up on a little reading when I get the chance. I read on a thread recently where one of the fracs has a real hardon about extraneous reading material. Six hour transcons just staring out the window blows.

Let's be clear: this is not a slam on the fracs. It's just some reasons why I decided I wouldn't like that kind of flying. Hey, if frac flying is your cup of tea, go for it. Enjoy. Everybody is different, but I know it wouldn't work for me. I'm sure there's plenty about airline flying that a frac dude wouldn't like either. To each his own.

Last edited:
where you working at?

Not when your kids live 5 states away and you have to either go see them or fly them down to where you live twice a month. That's lot of tickets to buy, and I'm sure I'm not the only pilot in that situation. Hence, no travel bennies and no jumpseats doesn't work. I just wanted to point that out for everyone. Some of us rely on those benefits.

And I have news for you. In today's world where milk costs $5 a gallon and gas costs $3, $65K a year ain't that much!

Not sure what regional your working at, (Very sure it doesn't exist) but 65k for first officer position is a lot to brag about!

Also, have you tried non-Reving, or given out a buddy pass, don't think they would want to be your buddy after that trip!! Planes are full to CAPACITY!!

Last edited:
All right been there done both. Warren Buffett will not just let you collect your pay check. He will work you worth $120000 and pay you $60000. You can be the FA and FO and the B!tch for the new money who like their pickles sliced and not whole. You will have their dogs take a dump on the plane while they threaten to fire you if you don't clean it. If you wanna go to a major stay at a 121 regional as compared to fractional. I'd rather stay at a good regional any day! Just my opinion. Plus the RJ in corporate world is like a.............. Big plane! Mach .85 ain't that slow.

Yup there is a provision in there.... Except the pay will be more than $400 with the new TA rates....

For a 3 year SIC on the 18 day....$717.94
For a 3 year SIC on the 7&7........$700.42
For a 5 year PIC on the 18 day...$1130.99
For a 14 year PIC on the 18 day.$1541.42

Alot of money for getting home after midnight...

It doesn't happen often, but when it does...man it's nice.
Thats nice!
Anyone know how life is over at Flight Options?

Not sure what regional your working at, (Very sure it doesn't exist) but 65k for first officer position is a lot to brag about!

Also, have you tried non-Reving, or given out a buddy pass, don't think they would want to be your buddy after that trip!! Planes are full to CAPACITY!!
Mother in Law is trapped here another night because all flights to ORD were booked solid all day. Tomorrow morning looks like her best shot with a few seats open, otherwise she's here for the weekend.
If thats the case, I'm looking into shipping her UPS/FedEx.....Live Cargo

Those 65K at first year may cure my "lactose" intolerance!! he he..

All right been there done both. Warren Buffett will not just let you collect your pay check. He will work you worth $120000 and pay you $60000. You can be the FA and FO and the B!tch for the new money who like their pickles sliced and not whole. You will have their dogs take a dump on the plane while they threaten to fire you if you don't clean it. If you wanna go to a major stay at a 121 regional as compared to fractional. I'd rather stay at a good regional any day! Just my opinion. Plus the RJ in corporate world is like a.............. Big plane! Mach .85 ain't that slow.
Wow,
you get turned down from a frac?

Do the Wave!

Hey guys.

I worked at XJ for 10 years. Went through good an bad. I flew the Saab and the AVRO. Worked long and hard. If I stayed, I would be in the short line to flow through to NWA. I interviewed at several places, including SWA, NJA, JB, etc...I was offered NJA and took it. I think things happen for a reason and I am glad I didn't end up at SWA or JB.

You could not pay me enough to go back to the airlines.

I wanted to fly the big iron around and couldn't imagine flying 7 in a row. It was easy and with this new deal I will have a choice.

The most I ever made at XJ was $72,000 just before 9/11. With the new deal a new hire (1st year FO) will gross between $56,875 for 7 and 7 schedule and $69,188 for 18 day reserve. A five year captain on 7 and 7 will make $100,408. That doesn't include over time, bonuses, or per dieum so add at least $10,000 to all of those.

Money aside, the QOL is great, the people are great, the company is massive and strong, the planes are new and fly higher and faster, the benefits are incredible,... I could just keep going.

Each his or her own. You wanna fly a cattle truck to see Grandma for christmas, or fly a limo to the islands for Carnival.

Seriously, it is different but most differences are a lot of fun.

Last edited:
The idea of being the chauffeur for a bunch of spoiled new money types straight out of MTV's "Sweet 16" makes me wanna hurl. I'd rather haul 50 rednecks from DEN to LIT any day. I'm sure their are plenty of limo drivers who make over $65K and get fat tips catering to rich people too but it doesn't mean I want to go drive a limo. No disrespect to the frac pilots it's just that some of us acutally prefer the flying greyhound bus. ;)

I understand.

The idea of being the chauffeur for a bunch of spoiled new money types straight out of MTV's "Sweet 16" makes me wanna hurl. I'd rather haul 50 rednecks from DEN to LIT any day. I'm sure their are plenty of limo drivers who make over $65K and get fat tips catering to rich people too but it doesn't mean I want to go drive a limo. No disrespect to the frac pilots it's just that some of us acutally prefer the flying greyhound bus. ;)
I got you. Luckily, the market is such that most pilots will have more than one option.

Pesonally, I have only had one pain in the arse and he was in his 50's. Most of our paxs are very cool and layed back. A friend of mine chatted with a living legend (obviously I can't say who) while he served my friend and his captain coffee and donuts the other day.

Again, it's not for everyone but it fits me just right.

Have fun!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back