• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

RAH buys Midwest!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
On the other hand, if they help bring Frontier payscales (and other Majors for that fact) and QOL to the Regional level, they won't have many places to look for a good job. This will become a wave that will be hard to control. Very few if any, new jobs will be created at a well paying Major or Legacy carrier. Whoever is at a Major, will be lucky to remain there. For those trying to get there, it may never happen. It's that simple.
It's been moving that way for over a decade.

Hard to develop a real strategy against it when the game keeps changing like this and the pilots themselves won't stop undercutting each other for their new brass ring. It's human nature, and I understand it, but it's got to stop.

And no, I don't mean for RAH pilots to "fall on their swords" and quit their jobs over it, but when it comes time to negotiate a new RAH pay rate for the larger frames, you hold the line, and don't throw the minority vote (Frontier pilots) under the bus for your shot to fly said bus (no pun intended). Hold the line on the higher pay that you, someday, will enjoy, and raise your own RJ rates while you're at it.

Bring yourselves up, everyone comes with you. Negotiate those wages down, and not only will there be nowhere to go, but EVERY, SINGLE other pilot who has to contend with yet another low pay rate dragging down the average in "pattern bargaining" will be waiting for you to come interview should RAH ever furlough again... so they can smile, look at you, and say "Wow, those pay rates are low. Thanks for that. And thanks for interviewing today, have a nice trip home".

"Continental's scab situation goes back 26 or 27 years...and the memories are like it was yesterday."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You know what memories are like it was yesterday? ALPA national welcoming all those SCABS at Continental back into the fold. Give me a freakin' break!!!!!

Oh but wait...you must believe that "we're takin' it back."

And while I'm being a horse's rear end, please, for the last time, "irregardless" IS NOT A WORD.

And there's no such thing as a "mute point," unless of course it's a point that nobody hears you say because you can't speak.

Last edited:
and now Bedford has Republic in a HUGE amount of debt...I would not be too cheerful about this at all. Anytime a regional has done this in the past...and tried to go against a Major airline, the regional has been silenced.....and eliminated.

I would not bet against Bedford. Never.

Expect to see the Majors cancel their feed agreement with RAH ala Indy Air...

I don't blame pilots for strategic business decisions CEOs make. The RAH pilots didn't write the check. I doubt Bedford asked them for their opinion.

That being said, they may now have been handed an opportunity to uphold this profession or to further contribute to its deterioration. How? By not getting wide-eyed over the prospect of flying bigger airframes at the expense of those currently flying them.

Sooner rather than later, most of you will have a chance to voice your opinions via a vote, as to how the compensation on larger airframes should be set. Oh yeah...it's coming. I hope that most of you, if not all of you, will vote to keep the payscales where they are or to actually improve them.

I hope you guys don't chase the carrots. Your decisions will have a huge impact on this industry. May I suggest you start by looking at the new Jetblue 190 and Airbus payscales.

Thank you Capt. Obvious.....

To Motch and the rest of you guys that think the majors are going to cancel their agreements over this; what part of separate certificates don't you get?? It has been repeated over and over and over again that Indy Air had one certificate and that RAH has put themselves in a completely different situation with it's now 5 certificates, 6 if you count the Hawaiian operation. You really think Mr. Bedford is that dumb to cut off the hand that feeds him??

Last edited:
To Motch and the rest of you guys that think the majors are going to cancel their agreements over this; what part of separate certificates don't you get?? It has been repeated over and over and over again that Indy Air had one certificate and that RAH has put themselves in a completely different situation with it's now 5 certificates, 6 if you count the Hawaiian operation. You really think Mr. Bedford is that dumb to cut off the hand that feeds him??

The points they are making though, is the other operators might not want to "subsidize" the Republic 190 operation. Which is in effect what they would be doing.

The points they are making though, is the other operators might not want to "subsidize" the Republic 190 operation. Which is in effect what they would be doing.

The point they are missing, though, is it is all about what is in the contracts. What they want has nothing to do with it. It is what the contracts require them to do. Its the same with the employees. There are many here who are ex Indy Air, US Airways, and even a few ex TWA people. Most of us do not relish what has happened at Midwest or Frontier because we have been there before. The people who are "high fiving" are in the distinct minority and very immature. But our contracts require us to show up and do our jobs every day. What we want has nothing to do with what the company does.

I'm not a Bedford fan. But you have to give him credit. He has played this masterfully. Bedford has maneuvered this situation to his advantage. The companies we provide lift for cannot cancel these contracts without large termination fees and terms that will be advantageous to Republic. The employees will be over a barrel in terms of contract negotiations due to the economy, which will do nothing but get worse for the next year or two.

As I said earlier, good luck to us all. This is going to create challenges for every employee group involved. Hopefully we can all work together in the end to get improved contracts for us all, whether it be under ALPA/AFA or the Teamsters.

Last edited:

I understand this. The point I am making though is that Bedford would never jeopardize these contracts that "subsidize" his big ideas. This man is smart enough to assure that none of these contracts would stop paying if he went and bought two other airlines. End of story.

Latest resources

Back