Radio Pet Peeves

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Rush Limbaugh said:
The piece of FOD I'm flying these days only has one radio and it's UHF. So don't tell me to contact center on 127.35.
On the flip side, don't tell me--when I'm climbing out of Valparaiso (VPS) with fifty passengers--to "contact Eglin departure on channel four."

2000Flyer,

We've had this discussion many times at our airport. Someone will say "Any planes in the area, please advise." There will be half a dozen planes in the area, maybe more, and not one person responds to that request. They've been giving their positions all along. You don't get 10 pilots to check in with you because you weren't listening as you approached the airport. If you base you approach to the pattern on the lack of responses you get, you will be mighty surprised to find all that traffic. Keep you eyes open, listen on the unicom, and look for the guys without radios. sure, I can believe youmight alert someone every now and then that has been lazy with his radio calls, but for the most part, your request is ignored.

Dieterly said:
The day you get to fly a real jet, and not a baby jet, you'll find out why track miles and wind check becomes important.

Then how come we hear it in ATL all the time when pilots in all the other cities fly the same "real jets" but manage just fine without asking?

Typhoon1244 - nothing personal against the props (LOL) ... you hear the types of jets because of wake turbulence... different jets have different criteria for wake avoidance. Props on the other hand are all the same as far as criteria goes ... they have uniform seperation from each other and all types of jets. Also... for arrivals and departured props are lumped together where jets will see different procedures for different types.

Rush - as for you it's probably just an oversight... the remarks section would show you as HF only... just something that gets missed... very few of you guys up there. We monitor many frequencies that are on shout lines (set on speaker) air to ground, ground to ground, etc. To answer, some buttons have to me pushed to transmit on them so that explains the delay... also we may be on another line... if you have a request me may have to call several people to work it all out, then enter info in the computer before answering someone.

Hope the info helps...

OK...OK.....I have a couple of my own. I actually heard this yesterday.

APP: Cheyene XXXX ident.
Cheyene: "Approach, we're flashing the camera".
APP: What?

then there is the ever popular.

"AAAANNNNNNDDDD xxxx unicom, skyhawk 1234 is 3.4 miles out. Any traffic in the area please advise".

Other traffic: Out where? North South East or West from the airport?

Skyhawk 1234: "Stand by"

What an idiot............

When calling clearance...

I'm no radio saint...

...but "AirCarrier 69 instruments to destination.." What, don't feel like VFR today?

or

"AirCarrier 69 clearance on request for destination" That phrase is for controllers, not the pilot.

Sheeze!!

Re: When calling clearance...

4fanman said:
"AirCarrier 69 clearance on request for destination" That phrase is for controllers, not the pilot. Sheeze!!
I am so glad I'm not the only one who's tired of that!

Speaking of clearance delivery, we've all heard the interesting ways the electronic ATIS voice pronounces certain words, right? So help me, I actually heard a guy call for clearance in Atlanta--from the tentative quality of his voice, I'm guessing he was a new-hire--and say "Clearance, Candler One-Twenty-Three to Chattanooga, ramp four with information wilkey."

I laughed so hard I almost spotted.

Anne said:
We've had this discussion many times at our airport. Someone will say "Any planes in the area, please advise." There will be half a dozen planes in the area, maybe more, and not one person responds to that request... You don't get 10 pilots to check in with you because you weren't listening as you approached the airport. If you base you approach to the pattern on the lack of responses you get, you will be mighty surprised to find all that traffic. Keep you eyes open, listen on the unicom, and look for the guys without radios. sure, I can believe youmight alert someone every now and then that has been lazy with his radio calls, but for the most part, your request is ignored.

Ignore if you like, but it's YOUR life as well as mine this might save. Believe me, YOU will be a lot more surprised than me, when we blow past you on downwind because we didn't know to expect/see you. And don't get ticked off when we make a straight in approach on a VMC ILS/GPS approach because YOU didn't identify yourself. If you answer, I will be more than happy to fly a traffic pattern and get in line.

As a jet approaches your uncontrolled fields at 250 kts, he is going to cover the last 30 miles in the time it takes your single engine to fly one lap in the pattern. Yes, we do try to listen to the freq ahead of time, but, as was mentioned, people at 20 other airports are talking all over each other and we can't make heads or tales of what YOU are saying. Or another side, ATC doesn't turn us loose until we are almost on top of the airport and we haven't heard that ONE callout you made 5 minutes ago...because you've only moved 2 miles since then, right?

When small GA aircraft are in the pattern, how many of you are looking above and behind your aircraft for traffic (while in the pattern)? Might be something to think about, eh? That's where we'll be.

If ANYONE makes a query on unicom freq, you better darn well answer it!!!!!!!! unless you would prefer a close encounter by someone who didn't know you were there.

TCAS is a great tool. But it is only good IF everyone has a xponder (on) and mode C (on).

My thanks go out to the CFIs that have pointed out J3s and crop dusters (that didn't have radios of there own) when I asked "any traffic please advise?"

A lot more things are happening when people approach an airport at high rates of speed. We are looking out the window, and we are trying to enter the pattern without endangering ourselves or someone else. The least you can do is respond.

Another peeve?
"Cessna downwind 5."

Cessna? C150 or C421?
Downwind? Downwind where?
Got an N-number?

What gets me is when people use "Sugar" instead of "Sierra" and "Dixie" instead of "Delta".

I also knew a guy that owned a 414, Nxx7BD. He always checked on with everyone as "Twin Cessna Seven Big Dog". What a jacka$$.

My pet peeve is to hear pilots at airports without an operating control tower refer to the runway as "active." I hear a lot of pilots, for example, say they are departing the "active." If I'm approaching the airport and AWOS indicates winds that would favor either runway (calm or a direct crosswind), I have no idea from which runway the other pilot is departing. Pilots can avoid a lot of confusion if they refer specifically to the runway they are using.

An overheard conversation I thought was funny:

I was in contact with Shreveport approach when ATC told a departing aircraft to contact approach on xxx.x. The young pilot (evident by the sound of his voice) repsonded, "Why would I want to contact approach when I am leaving?" ATC quickly responded telling the pilot to contact departure on the same frequency.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back