• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Radio Pet Peeves

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Cessna 152 calling tower and saying "Ready for blast off." It was funny the first time though.

Concerning saying "vacating" or "out of" when you're starting a discretionary descent, many airlines say that because their flight manuals require it. Eagle's does, so we say it, even though the controller's tone of voice sometimes suggests we're irritating him.

The same goes for American saying "windcheck" on final. Their flight manual, which is FAA-approved and regulatory, requires it. They are also prohibited from answering a radio call on the first try. (Just kidding, AAflyer!)

The most common radio faux pas I hear is switching frequencies and checking on without listening to see if there is a conversation already underway. Air carrier crews are just as prone to this as GA aircraft.

"Airline 1234 WITH YOU at flight level 240." That bugs me. "Airline 1234 NOT WITH YOU at flight level 240." Just want to be clear that it is in fact ME, WITH YOU, at to 240.

As far as "Traffic in the area please advise." I'll continue to use it at the non controlled fields I fly into. The Chicago side of our company flies into Quincy IL. You guys remember Quincy? Lakes 1900 and a King Air tangled up because of poor communication. They have crossing runways and it can be difficult to see all parts of the pattern for the different runways. It isn't in the book, but it helps get an idea what's going on.

S.

When a Kuwaiti controller blows a gasket and has smoke rising out of his rag laden cranium, he will say "THE SKY IS FULL" in the most annoying tone I have ever heard on a radio. Nobody really knows what exactly that means but my best guess is he is trying to say that everyone on frequency has just become VFR and radar service is terminated until he puts out his linen fire.

The word "Roger".

"Roger" means "I have heard and understood what you said".

It does not mean "OK".

That one ticks me off.

Joseph II said:
"Roger" means "I have heard and understood what you said".
It does not mean "OK". That one ticks me off.
Roger. :D

While we all get carried away with semantics and the finer points of aviation radio, lets not forget that radio is about communications. It's about being clearly understood.

Though it's not "cool", a plain english translation is always preferred to a misunderstanding.

We get far too caught up in cutting .0025 off a radio transmission in the interest of brevity. However, I'd be much more inclined to appreciate a longer transmission if it serves to clarify, or if the caller is better understood.

"With you" may drive you nuts, but unless you plan to add up all the "with you's" in a day to determine how much radio time has been lost...it's just not worth it. It may not serve any great point, but it's colloquial and an ingrained habit for many folks, and it's just not that big a deal.

I say decimal. (I also say point). I also say vacating. (I also say leaving). I could think about it at the time and come up with something more pleasing to the masses, but will it make any difference...and do I really care?

Sometimes I say three five zero. Sometimes three five oh. Sometimes thirty five. Perhaps that makes me radio-challenged, or a linguistic criminal. Dunno. I even say "copy" sometimes, so-long or g'day (find that in the pilot controller glossary). I report leaving an altitude after being given a pilot discretion clearance, and I even call it PD rather than pilot's discretion.

Big deal.

I was reading the thread and was about to post the sort of reply avbug did but, well...he said it. It is by habit or the way you were taught, and sometimes, for those of us dorks who sometimes(only sometimes :) ) like to hear our own voices a little too much its fun. Sittin' in the right seat, sometimes the only fun you get to have!

Now, on a humerous side....how about these yea-hoos that step on you while you're reading back with "AAAAAAAAANNNNNDDDDD approach...AAAAAANNNND departure......AAAAAANNNNDDDDD traffic. It's like, AAAANNNNDDDD thats friggin' annoying!
Happy turkey day everyone.....switchin' to one two five DECIMAL tRee, adios :p

-T-hawk

Since this is an opinion related post I'll brave the elements.

The phrase "Any traffic in the area please advise" takes up more air time than any other phrase on unicom and is unnecessary. I think that those who use it and don't get a response tend to lower their level of attention in the airport area (generally speaking). There are still a fair amount of NORDO aircraft that fly and are completely legal to do so. Also, when you say that phrase remember that other pilots are not obligated to respond to you.

That's just my opinion.

If you get the opportunity to fly in Canada you will almost always hear "Decimal" instead of "Point" when they give you a frequency change. Also, when getting an IFR clearance you may be cleared "Flight Planned Route" instead of "Cleared As Filed" and instead of "Cleared to intercept the localizer" you will get "Cleared to track..."

One more comment, when an airliner asks how long the final is it usually is helpful information to them for descent planning.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back