• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Radio Pet Peeves

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You all have vaild points. So let's stop talking!!! We will do it the way they do it at OSHKOSH. Just LISTEN, don't respond.

AAflyer

The three most common phrases you hear on the radio in ORD.

1. Northwest are you lost?

2. United, I don't have time to argue!

3. American, listen up!!

"Vacating XXX" i thought is ok under the correct circumstance. for example, if you have a "pilot discretion" descent and choose not to descend yet when given the clearance, aren't you required to tell ATC when you actually begin the descent?

"decimal" does sound funny but i think it is the correct ICAO equivalent of "point" - of course it does sound dumb from bugsmasher 172 in the local traffic pattern

JCJ,

You are right, there are many expressions that sound a little wierd, but are common in ICAO. As for vacating a flight level, I use that, I hate the sound of "out of".

AAflyer

Radio peeves

Stephen said:
Actually, the correct phraseology is "Traffic in Sight" or "Negative Contact" (per the Pilot/Controller Glossary). "Traffic Not in Sight" could very easily be confused with "Traffic in Sight" if you don't hear the "Not," so the completely different phrase "Negative Contact" is used.
(emphasis added)

I stand corrected. Thanks.

ICAO phraseology

Originally posted by learflyer I agree with FL000 about that "decimal" stuff . . .
But, it is not necessarily incorrect. I've heard military aircraft use it. Also, I had Italian students at FSI who learned to fly in Italy use it, too. We trained it out of them.

Figgered I'd touch a nerve since so many people use these.

AIM 5-3-1.b.2. "vacating" does not exist except in a descriptive form in the paragraph. However, "leaving" and "descending to" do. Can't quote ICAO, but I've yet to be given instructions to communicate using ICAO terminology.

AIM 4-2-2.d.2 don't see the word "decimal" there, just "point". There is a note in 4-2-8 which states that ICAO procedures require the use of "decimal", and that the FAA will honor such usage by MILITARY aircraft and all other aircraft REQUIRED to use ICAO terminology. So this fails to explain why some of my civilian/domestic brethren are using it.

While we're on the subject, there are a lot of AIM terms that are pretty dorky too.

niner
tree
wilco
others??

I've certainly dorked out on the radio before. I'm not claiming perfection here, just my personal eye-rollers.

Though I'm on call today, it looks like I'll be able to have some turkey with the fam in a couple of hours. Best wishes to those who are separated from their kin today. Everybody have a great Thanksgiving.

Watch out Yellow Jackets...your whippin's next!

Over and out!

Out of SFO more than anywhere else....

United 1 to Sierra dep...Aloha

United 2 to Sierra dep...Konichiwa

Speedbird 345 to Sierra Departure...Arouvoi

American 544 to Sierra Departure...Adios

Ok...I know ya'll are cool guys, but please don't give us some lame sendoff just becasue you fly internationally!!!;)

Squeeze Pilot
Mookie

Of course, nobody mentioned the "windcheck", "what's our sequence" and "how long's the final" transmissions we hear so much in Atlanta.
The day you get to fly a real jet, and not a baby jet, you'll find out why track miles and wind check becomes important.

I already said this is MetroSheriff's thread...let me tell you the ones that drive him up the wall:

"Center, Candler Six-Twenty-One checkin' on at two-four-oh."

...or...

"D-F-W tower, American Eleven with you ten out for the center."

Is there really any need to say "with you?" Of course you're with us. We wouldn't hear you if you weren't. And why tell us you're "checkin' on?" We know your checking on; it's the whole reason you're talking!

Dieterly said:
The day you get to fly a real jet, and not a baby jet, you'll find out why track miles and wind check becomes important.

If only you'd said this on the radio, it would fit perfectly into this thread.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back