Radio Pet Peeves

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
BTW,

When doing my out and back last night and this morning I may have used the phrase, "Have a good Turkey Day" with the controllers on more than one occasion. The response was always something similar back to us. Controllers are generally laid back unless things get hectic and most of us get the hint when we need to tighten it up with the phraseology.

C-Ya!!!!;)

"Cleared to go- we're on the roll- :D

"We are direct destination equipped this morning and would like to cut the corner.:D

"departure... adios
C YA ! !

3 5 0

1. (DTW) Northwest 123 follow the Flagship RJ off your right to runway 4R... (in an annoying voice) What's a Flagship? Ok we'll follow the 'trainer jet' to 4R.

If I ever wanted to kick a mainliner in the nads it was just then.

2. (same day I might add) Flagship 123 follow the DC-9 off your left to 22R. Then someone said..."ok we'll follow the Douglas RJ to 22R. (It was a DC-9-10)oops not that I was the culprit or anything like that.

3.on ATC...Flagship is that the new call sign for Mesaba? (nothing against my Mesaba bros and sisters)

Thanksgivvvvvving.....is a special night.....Jimmy Walllllllker used to say DY-NO-MITE!!!! that's right

Rook
600' AGL Autopilot on.
'WHEW!'

The one that gets me is one heard every time someone on the frequency has a stuck mike. Someone will always sooner or later transmit "stuck mike" over the radio.

The only person on frequency who is guaranteed NOT to hear you is indeed, the person with the stuck mike.

I have, and will continue to use the "Any other traffic in the area, please advise". More than one ocassion I've been at an uncontrolled field with someone in the pattern and they haven't said a peep until I ask that simple question. Now, think about it, say that phrase in a normal flow and what does it take, 2 seconds? If it perked someone up to tell me they're out there, I guess it was 2 seconds well spent.

ICAO has many phrases they use regularly that we don't (even though we're an ICAO member state). In Canada you will be "cleared for AN approach" when at smaller airports. In Europe you'll "Track runway heading" instead of "fly runway heading" (their different, trust me).

I would say whatever phrasology it takes to understand the intructions given or received, do what you need to do! I'd rather see the frequency tied up for a couple of seconds than two planes tied up permanently.

(speaking of 10-4, I actually heard a guy ask the controller what the "20" was on the aircraft he was supposed to follow!) Go get 'em Bandit!

2000Flyer

How about when some respond with an "S" at the end,
United"s" 123
Delta"s" 123
Alaska"s" 123
Not really a big deal at all, but since we are on the subject...

Great comeback overheard

DTW - NW following an Avro

ATC - "NW xxxx You're following an Avro 4 miles in trail cleared to land 22R."

NW xxxx - "Following a "Navajo" cleared to land."

ATC - "NW xxxx You're following an AVRO"

NW xxxx - "Avro Navajo, what's the difference"

Another voice - "Navajos don't have jumpseats!"

:)

ATC: You are x miles from xxx, you ARE goin to make that crossing
restriction.??

Aero Mexico crew: ( in heavy accent) - "sometimesa we
do ahhh and sometimesa we don't..

I thought that was pretty funny !

3 5 0

Typhoon1244 said:
[
"D-F-W tower, American Eleven with you ten out for the center."

I cant agree with you more, Typhoon, about the "with you" thing! I used it once while flying a little corporate, and the captain promptly scolded me and said that he wouldn't fly with anyone ever again who said that with his N #! I never used it again!
Nothing was better than hearing one of my students say "Givin' you the flash" when ATC asked for an ident! I couldn't contain my laughter!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back