Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Question: Pay for difference for a type and SIC?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

asolo

I am going to go to school for the Lear 35 (SIC training) and am going to have it payed for. The person paying for my training won't pay for the type and I would like some feedback on whether I should pay for the difference. I don't know how much it is yet b/c I'm waiting to hear back from Flight Safety. This is my first training in a jet and just have about 500 hrs PIC in both the King Air 200 and 90. Any idea on the difference in price and should I do it? Thanks for any feeback.

Asolo

For what it's worth, I'd probably recommend that you just hang tight and do the SIC training for now. Looking at your listed aircraft experience, getting the Lear type right off the bat could be a real challenge. However, after you've flown the airplane for a few months and learned to work in a crew the type ride will be much less "stressful".

I've done it both ways with new hires and without exception the guys who waited to upgrade at a recurrent were glad they did. If worse comes to worse and your job evaporates without you getting the type rating all will not be lost - you will have already had the initial groundschool, sim training, and some real world experience in the airplane. At that point you could go to one of the the "non-sim" Lear schools and finish up the type. I just saw one school advertising a Lear type for $4,300.

'Sled

Chances are its the same price for the SIC course as the type . I'd talk to your employer about it. Just ask them if they have any objections to you going for the type ride as long as your progressing well in the sim. If they say no, its probably because they know you will be more marketable for other jobs with the type. It's a delicate situation so feel it out. However, if they are requiring you to sign a training contract then I would insist on the type.

CRAZY LEGS said:
Chances are its the same price for the SIC course as the type .

At FSI or Simuflite, it's not even close to the same price. SIC training generally has 3-4 less sim sessions(including checkride) than the type rating course. Check out this link, and note where it says "Part 91 SIC Initial Ends". (I'm assuming he's doing strictly a 91 checkout based on the forum he placed this post in). I'm pretty sure FSI(where he's going) does the same as Simuflite, schedule wise.

http://www.simuflite.com/training/learjet35/l391initial.html

another thing too. If you dont have your ATP or ATP written yet, have at least the written done before you do a type. It's useless to get a type rating and not have an ATP. Some employers will want to know why if you dont.

"SIC training generally has 3-4 less sim sessions(including checkride) than the type rating course"

Looks like thats the case at Simuflite. Check and see if Flightsafety has followed there lead because in the past the 35 Initial at FSI (Wichita) was over the same course duration for both PIC & SIC. Bombardier at DFW runs identical programs in their sims as well. It doesn't cost these places anymore to run a Capt. ride than an F.O. ride. Good luck to you, Asolo, find an angle to work and enjoy the 35.

IIRC, if you are 135 the course for PIC and SIC is basically the same. If you are 91, the SIC course is much shorter.

CRAZY LEGS said:
"SIC training generally has 3-4 less sim sessions(including checkride) than the type rating course"

Looks like thats the case at Simuflite. Check and see if Flightsafety has followed there lead because in the past the 35 Initial at FSI (Wichita) was over the same course duration for both PIC & SIC. Bombardier at DFW runs identical programs in their sims as well. It doesn't cost these places anymore to run a Capt. ride than an F.O. ride. Good luck to you, Asolo, find an angle to work and enjoy the 35.

I looked into this when I first went though at SF in DFW, but that was '97. It was Part 135 and there was an additional $1,000 fee to get the type on top of the $3,500 basic SIC 135 initial training.

Those fees have probably all gone up some, but the answer stays the same: don't pay out of pocket for the type, it won't do you much good anyway without TIME IN TYPE, the insurance won't let you fly around as a PIC in a Lear without some serious SIC time in it, not to mention if you go to a different job all they'll want is your 8410 for the Part 135 requirements anyway.

Stick with the SIC. You might ask them if they will eventully pay for it. But lear is ALOT mor airplane then any king air! Take your time! If this company is good then it will be worth the wait! AND DON'T PFT!!!!!!!!!!

Latest resources

Back