Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Question: Pay for difference for a type and SIC?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Pic

If you are a good stick and rudder man, then pay for the initial type rating. You have the hour requirements for ATP. Do the ATP written and when you do you check ride, they will also sign you off for ATP. It's the same ride. The key to the whole thing is being prepared BEFORE you show up for school. That mean get all of the course material at least a month before school so you know the sytems cold. This is NOT rocket science and Learjet systems are pretty rudimentary. But you need to know the memory items. You will get a wall poster of the cockpit so you can familiarise yourself with location of swtiches. Look, the whole key here is Jet PIC time. You will not be qualifed to log PIC time for the 135 legs, but you will be qualified to log 91 legs that you fly (e.g. swap legs). Do not let anyone discourage you. If you have half a brain (because we are in aviation) you can pass the course.
Tip: When they do an engine failure after V1, keep the nose wheel on the runway until after passing V2 then rotate. Newbes tend to want to pull it up too early. Have your seat pulled up so you can get full rudder in. Maintaining runway heading and steady climb is what they are looking for. And use your sim partner. That's that lump of grey matter sitting in the right seat with the sweaty palms and huge eyes.

Let's face it, if your employer is not contributing to the training, then after about 6 months of taking their cheap @ss crap, you will have something marketable.

Now, go get 'em, Tiger!!

I did my PT135 SIC ride first and then got the type in recurrent. My sim partner was getting his type and doing his PIC check. We did the exact same training. The only difference was on the final day I got to skip the oral.

Get your ATP written done. When you get your type it will count as your ATP ride. Much easier than doing it with the Feds (no questions on weather or regs). Good Luck!

aeronautic1 said:
Tip: When they do an engine failure after V1, keep the nose wheel on the runway until after passing V2 then rotate. Newbes tend to want to pull it up too early.
Interesting. I like to rotate ar Vr and climb at V2. Worked great when I was a newbie and still works great now.

my guess is it has nothing to do with price. i think that you should make sure that the reason they want you to do a sic instead of a type . I bet it is because as a typed pilot you log pic when manipulating the controls.
therefore it is alot easier for you to find another job sticking them with the billll

I'd just do what they tell you. If you've got other opportunities to catch your fall, by all means poke around a bit but I'd leave well enough alone. you've gotten their attention well enough to get offered a job. Don't risk maing them mad by going behind their backs making your own inquiries.

Someone, somewhere has made a decision about what you need in the way of training. It might be because you're a little green to be getting a type and they want you to get a little time in the jet before you type in it. It might be because they don't want you shopping "THEIR" type rating around looking for a better deal. It might also be to see if you'll follow directions as given. Since you probably don't know why they're doing things the way they are I'd let them show you over the next few months why they do the things they do. I work for one of the quirkiest companies in all of business aviation. We do a lot of strange stuff. I used to ask why and I learned very quickly that it's fine to ask - because there's ALWAYS a reason for EVERYTHING - but you'd better accept policies first and ask constructive questions later. The bosses like this better - pretty much universally.

Go see what sim training is like. Don't mess with the type yet. you're not ready for it with your background. You'll see what I mean once you get into it. Don't be in a hurry. It'll come. Just be patient.

TIS

Last edited:
aeronautic1 said:
Tip: When they do an engine failure after V1, keep the nose wheel on the until after passing V2 then rotate. Newbes tend to want to pull it up too early.

Remember, this is the internet .... do believe everything you read.

If you followed this steller advice and you were my type candidate I would place an obstacle in front of the runway and fail you for not following the AFM.

Do it right the 1st time and you will be viewed as a professional.

Engine failure after V1:

Maintain directional control.
1. AT VR- Rotate to pitch angle as prescribed in AFM
2. Climb at no less than V2 - if already above V2 maintain prescribed pitch angled to climb, do not increase pitch to acheive V2.
3. At minimium 400' clean the wing and climb at Vfs.

Good luck at school. As far as the original question goes .... FSI might not allow you to take you type as they do not want to get sideways with the aircraft owner.

Last edited:
G100driver said:
If you followed this steller advice and you were my type candidate I would place an obstacle in front of the runway and fail you for not following the AFM.

Do it right the 1st time and you will be viewed as a professional.

Engine failure after V1:

Maintain directional control.
1. AT VR- Rotate
2. Climb at no less than V2 - already above V2 maintain pitch to climb, do not increase pitch to acheive V2.
3. At minimium 400' clean the wing and climb at Vfs.
You're good G100...real good. I'd fly with you anytime.:)

I think what aeronautic1 might have been trying to explain is a mental trick around the problem some people have of rotating too abruptly at Vr. I had a sim partner once that, when he heard Vr, would yank on the yoke, do a rudder dance, then crash off the side of the runway. Consistently. He didn't know which engine had failed, and couldn't react in time which proper rudder correction. Our instructor gave him the advice to smoothly and SLOWLY rotate, to allow his feet enough time to figure out which engine had failed. The result was that he was doing sort of a wheelie on the runway - nosewheel off, walking the rudders while the mains were still on the ground. It worked very well as a training tool in the 737 for an A10 hog driver. It must have worked, because he is now at Southwest. :eek:

I'm not advocating keeping the nosewheel on the runway after Vr. But, in a training environment for newbies, having them keep the airplane on the runway a few milliseconds longer seems to help them learn proper technique.

E- I understand what you're saying. I've heard a lot of "sim tricks". The problem is, these procedures find their way into the actual aircraft. I saw some scary ones recently on a contract flight. If somebody is duck-walking the plane down the runway on a V1 cut they need to get out of the sim and go fly a taildragger for awhile to remember what the pedals do.

I'm of marginal intellingence and marginal-er flying skills. I have to stick to the checklists and fly the profiles correctly. I've never seen a checklist that says to leave an airplane on the ground after Vr or yank it into the air on a V1 cut. I pitch-up at 3 degrees per second at Vr because that's what the checklist says to do. Maybe aeronautic's plane is different?

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to the kitchen. I'm baking a cake to celebrate your 3,000th post.:)

HMR & G100 Driver...

You guys have restored my faith. I can't believe that someone would suggest a "sim trick" that could possibly put you in a world of hurt in the real airplane. Taking his logic to the next level, why doesn't he recommend planting the nose wheel on the runway and accelerating on up to Vfs or even better - the max tire speed? While you're at it, make sure you do your training at some place like Edwards or the Bonneville salt flats. If you follow that guy's recommendations, you will also need to throw out all of your performance chart data.

'Sled

Sled and HMR thank-you.

I have seen some of the biggest goof balls in this profession. Like HMR I am not very smart. If I was smarter I would have become a test pilot. Alas poor Yorik, I am neither.

As I tell the people who work for me "Bongo go fly airplane. Bongo fly airplane way book says. Bongo much too stupid to know any other way."

Latest resources

Back