Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Question: Pay for difference for a type and SIC?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Never Pay For Training! This Industry Is Dying Because Of This Sort Of Thing!

I think the spirit of the argument against yanking an airplane in to the air just because the guy next to you said "Rotate" is dead on. That word only gives you permission to do so. I think that it's better to think of it that way rather than "I'm going flying now, no matter what else is going on so hang on to your shorts."

And for those of you unfamiliar with the G200s rudder bias system, sometimes your feet fool you.

Edit: Never pay for training.

Back to the topic at hand....

GET THE TYPE. They are paying for a lion's share of it, and DON'T PASS UP THE OPPORTUNITY. My first jet training ever about 8 years ago was the LR-25 SIC initial. I passed up the chance to pay about an extra $1,500 bucks and get the type and sure enough, I didn't do it. Shortly thereafter the damn company went out of business and my chance went down the toilet. I could have been logging PIC time in the damn thing since then. I'd have 3 types right now instead of 2 and more jet PIC.

Still kicking myself in the ass every day about passing that up.

Back to the topic at hand....

GET THE TYPE. They are paying for a lion's share of it, and DON'T PASS UP THE OPPORTUNITY. My first jet training ever about 8 years ago was the LR-25 SIC initial. I passed up the chance to pay about an extra $1,500 bucks and get the type and sure enough, I didn't do it. Shortly thereafter the damn company went out of business and my chance went down the toilet. I could have been logging PIC time in the damn thing since then. I'd have 3 types right now instead of 2 and more jet PIC.

Still kicking myself in the ass every day about passing that up.
Normally, I'm against paying for training, but you've really got to look at each opportunity on its own merits. I've lost out on two type ratings that would have cost me next to nothing - Boeing 727 and Cessna Citation 500. My recomendation would be to not be in a big rush to spend your money on the type; but if you think that your current situation might not evolve into a paid type rating, then it just makes good sense to pay a little extra to get the rating.

LS

Last edited:
In a CORPORATE jet, I'd still say pay the extra cash if it's not much...

I used to not think so but, after being around a bit, I can say that some Part 91 legs logging 91.51(c) PIC time is better than nothing, and might mean the difference between getting a job later and not getting it.

In the 121 world, all bets are off, as you never really see any legs you can log PIC on for all intents and purposes, plus they rarely allow you to "pay the difference", as it's mostly in-house training, so the point is rather moot.

:)

I was in a similar situation a few years ago. I was sent by a new company to LR-35 Recurrent (I had previously been to FSI LR-35 Initial and had 1300 in type) and the new company was not going to type me, though they had promised me "quick upgrade to PIC" based upon my time in the jet and sparkling smile. Normally, I'd have gone along with that, but after I was hired, I saw the exact jet that I was to fly listed for sale in a magazine! Not knowing how long the jet may be around, and fearing that I would never get another chance at a LR-JET type,I asked about paying the extra. $2,000 was the quote by FSI, but I needed the company authorization as it was a 135 checkride, in addition to my type and ATP. The company caved and paid the difference for me, but turned it into a training contract for twelve months. It was worth it, and I was made PIC a month later.

As for the "Rotate" issue, I can see no reason to delay the rotation beyond Vr unless there is a directional control issue which requires that the nose gear be on the runway.

And here's my tip for those new to jets and simulators: If you should find yourself off to one side of the runway after the engine failure, apply rudder aiming for the center of the far end of the runway. That way, you'll be correcting without over-correcting. My problem was that I aggresively corrected back to centerline and then weaved quite a bit once I got there, which complicated the rotation.

Can the original poster clue us in on what he did regarding his type-rating?

Latest resources

Back