• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Quality of Regional Training

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Don't forget the 30 hours a week in the left seat of a Honda, delivering pizzas to pay Tom Cooper . . . . .

That's how I pay for the wedding bills honey pie. If you made any money at A S S Tran you could help pay to feed the kids and dog.

Looks like we need marriage counseling Ty.

Yeah, between my "city house" and my "beach house", it's a little tight . . . . but I did budget enough for an occasional pizza from my favorite delivery girl . . . . just don't get too cheezy on me, Becky. . . and if it comes with a sausage, you should probably take it over to snake or Freddie- I hear they like that.

Originally Posted by The_Russian:

Ty, Baby, you want happy ending with that pizza?

Last edited:
Mostly from Indy (ACA). This is not the first time it has happened. On average, two 121 or 135 street pilots coming to GIA out of every class fail out of 1900 training.

I could see a guy who has been flying an RJ for quite some time having a hard time trying to be a street captain in a BE-1900. Totally different kind of flying. I think a person with only BE-1900 time would have a hard time trying to go to street captain of an RJ as well. I think it has more to do with a complete change in the type of flying rather than Gulfstream being tough.

I could see a guy who has been flying an RJ for quite some time having a hard time trying to be a street captain in a BE-1900. Totally different kind of flying. I think a person with only BE-1900 time would have a hard time trying to go to street captain of an RJ as well. I think it has more to do with a complete change in the type of flying rather than Gulfstream being tough.

I can agree with that. However a 1900 CPT going to the CRJ would be a systems lesson rather than systems and re-learning how to fly an airplane again. Turbo props are a lot harder to fly than jets, especially without an autopilot to aid in those engine failures. Most of the Jetstream pilots at ACA made it through the training just fine.

The_Russian said:
I can agree with that. However a 1900 CPT going to the CRJ would be a systems lesson rather than systems and re-learning how to fly an airplane again.

Not necessarily true at all. Lots of differences, in aerodynamics, operationally, performance planning, and just the sheer difference in speed all take some getting used to, just as going back to a t-prop does.

Turbo props are a lot harder to fly than jets, especially without an autopilot to aid in those engine failures. Most of the Jetstream pilots at ACA made it through the training just fine.

Engine failures are done without the autopilot in the sim, generally. . . .

Now, stop typing and get that d amn pizza over here before it gets cold . . . and remember to keep the Honda coordinated in the turns on the way here . . . I don't want all the good stufff sliding to the outside in the turns, like last time.

What airplane do you use the autopilot for in a engine failure? (ERJ I take it) What does it do? What does the pilot have to do? Excuse the ignorance I've never heard of that.

I am definately not trying to turn this thread into a chautauqua bash, but I have to complain about the upgrade course. Initial training was good, but they are trying to save money by making us do an accelerated upgrade class. 4 sims and then your type ride. I started upgrade on the 6th and I will be done with ioe at the end of this month. Maybe this is enough since the pass/fail ratio is about 80/20. I am curious is to how the other regionals conduct their ungrade course. How much are they going over systems? We had two days, what a joke. How many sims do you get before your type?

exchexflyer said:
I am definately not trying to turn this thread into a chautauqua bash, but I have to complain about the upgrade course. Initial training was good, but they are trying to save money by making us do an accelerated upgrade class. 4 sims and then your type ride. I started upgrade on the 6th and I will be done with ioe at the end of this month. Maybe this is enough since the pass/fail ratio is about 80/20. I am curious is to how the other regionals conduct their ungrade course. How much are they going over systems? We had two days, what a joke. How many sims do you get before your type?

Same story at 9E (almost) they implemented a short course for those that had time in type a couple of years ago. 5 sims and the type ride. Systems was a quick brushup. Better than initial even though initial was longer for obvious reasons. Good luck.

Rook

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back