Quality of Regional Training

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Puh-lease.

Any of you 1900 fondlers that think that your initial qualification in a 121 jet is going to be easier than the 1900 are in for one hell of a surprise. . . . . That's all I'm gonna say about that.

Of all of the initials that i've done in a number of different jets, turboprops, etc... the HARDEST bar-none was the Jetstream 31.

No autopilot plus the darned thing was a wiggly pig. Any jet was a breeze after that.

Thats because the Jetscream is an evil SOB (Yes I have flown it)
You had to fly with one hand on the yoke and the other on the trim wheel---becuase there was no electric trim --:(
The ERJ is a complete joy in comparison. From what I have heard the 1900 is a sweetheart of an airplane.

Just FYI, Mesa has about a 50% fail rate for 1900 captains upgrading to CRJ captain, and from what I understand, it's because "they can't work the autopilot."

Ralgha said:
Likewise just because it's hard doesn't mean it's good.

Hell, in college, the worse the teacher, the harder the class, cause they didn't teach you anything and you had to learn it on your own.

please, no offense, but can 1900 training be hard? sounds like previous 121 guys weren't pysched to be at GIA.

Last edited:
Props...not harder, just one more thing to break!

The_Russian said:
a 1900 CPT going to the CRJ would be a systems lesson rather than systems and re-learning how to fly an airplane again. Turbo props are a lot harder to fly than jets, especially without an autopilot to aid in those engine failures.

I've never flown the 1900 but based on my experience in the C-130, I wouldn't say props are "a lot harder" to fly than jets, however there's a little more tasking since you've got one more thing to monitor and one more thing that could go wrong. Yes, the herc is MUCH more difficult to handle then a CRJ with one engine shut down but I think this has more to due with the asymetric thrust versus the near centerline of the CRJ and I would think the same would be true with the 1900. As for the autopilot...we train to land the CRJ single engine by hand so there goes that arguement (though you are authorized to use the auto pilot in the real world).

exchexflyer said:
Someone who says flying a jet is harder than flying a 1900 obviously has never flown the 1900! Don't say things like this if you aren't even going to humor us to why you are right.

Ok, sure, why not? Being 'harder to fly', do you mean overall, or just hand flying? With or without flight director? With or without autopilot?

My experience:

hand flying w/no flight guidance, easiest to most difficult:
BE-1900, Do-328 prop, CRJ200, MD-80 (close between the jets though),

hand flying w/flight guidance: same

'autopilot engaged' flying: DO-328, CRJ200, BE-1900, MD-80. This would be after you have some time in the plane, are comfortable it in, and know flight guidance well. In initial qual autopilot planes will be tricky, especially if you have no experience in them, as I did. The 328 and CRJ200 have better autopilots, and even though they're more advanced and complicated, it makes them easier with experience. The others I had to monitor and finesse more and thus didn't trust as much.

On a Checkride you'll always be asked to fly with and without the autopilot/flight guidance. In a 1900 or metroliner without one, you've got less to know and use, for sure, but you have that much more time in training to learn how to hand fly it. If you want to talk about a T-prop which is hard to fly, ask about the metroliner, now it has a rep.

CapnVegetto said:
Mesa's training dept. ...

The DHC8 dept. is another matter. At least a 50% fail rate in it. And it's all due to a bunch of 'club' instructors. If they like you, you pass, if they don't you fail. I was never a student in that dept. but they shared a building with us, and some VERY GOOD people I know never made it through the ground school. .

That's the biggest load of bull$hit I've heard yet. Any moron with a little self-discipline can make it, especially through groundschool. (This is from one of the biggest morons out there..me). As far as the RECENTLY high fail rates, that was due to some of the WORST flying seen in the sim in a loong time (per one of the check airmen). Seems there was a lot of students assuming that tons of Beech time meant a skate through Dash training. Not so.

kevdog said:
please, no offense, but can 1900 training be hard? sounds like previous 121 guys weren't pysched to be at GIA.

Maybe they realized they'd be on overnights with . . . . the Russian!

Quick, get me three feet of hose, a funnel, and the liquor kit!

Last edited:
kevdog said:

Dunno, never flown a 1900. I wasn't saying that is was hard.

Latest resources

Back