Quality of Regional Training

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ralgha said:
SkyWest is top notch. Running on descriptions I've had from friends at Eagle and Mesaba, it's far better than either of those.

They can afford it since they don't pay their pilots during training.

Ralgha said:
SkyWest is top notch. Running on descriptions I've had from friends at Eagle and Mesaba, it's far better than either of those.

SJS? Feeling a little "holier than thou"?

Well, whether you like it or not, I think GIA has some of the hardest training on the regional side. Not that I have gone anywhere else yet, but we lost ten out of twelve street cpt in january. Six failed the OM-1 (laugh) then they let them stay hoping their investment would pay off. Next thing you know ten of them fail the sim training. Keep in mind these were all 121 highly experienced people. Mostly from Indy (ACA). This is not the first time it has happened. On average, two 121 or 135 street pilots coming to GIA out of every class fail out of 1900 training.

Now, continue making fun of us. I dare you to pass our training.

Also, just because it's hard doesnt mean it can't be good too. Sit in and enjoy.

RampTower said:
SJS? Feeling a little "holier than thou"?

It's not "holier than thou" I'm just stating my observation based on what two other people said. It's not hard to take an experience someone else described and comapare it to your own. When one said their instructor didn't know how the systems on the airplane worked, it's not hard to conclude that your own instructor (who did know) was better suited for the job.

The_Russian said:
Also, just because it's hard doesnt mean it can't be good too. Sit in and enjoy.

Likewise just because it's hard doesn't mean it's good.

Hell, in college, the worse the teacher, the harder the class, cause they didn't teach you anything and you had to learn it on your own.

Ralgha said:
Likewise just because it's hard doesn't mean it's good.

Hell, in college, the worse the teacher, the harder the class, cause they didn't teach you anything and you had to learn it on your own.

d@mn right Ralgha!

The_Russian said:
Well, whether you like it or not, I think GIA has some of the hardest training on the regional side...

On what do you base this assumption? Based on some personal and some anecdotal evidence, 1900 operators seem to love overteaching the airplane. Knowing the psi in the stabilon boot does not make the training good. A high failure rate is not indicative of good training. That only shows that the level of screening and instruction does not match the desired outcome of the training program.
The pace of training at Comair is relaxed (stated mildly), but they do have a high passage rate. Training costs money after all. I have been told the training at Mesaba is moderately paced, but pretty thorough and mostly relevent material. I have also heard mostly good things about Air Willy. I can't vouch for other operators.

A high failure rate is usually an indication of a poor training program. In a typical training class the bust rate should not go above 20 to 25%. Anything above that shows that the training has failed not the applicants. Our company use to have great checking progam but a lousy training programing. Thankfully that has changed.

Actually the training is very good. It is slow paced, much like you mentioned CMR's training. Four weeks of ground on initial, then 30 hours in the 1900C, then 30 hours in the 1900D level C or D sim.

The high failure rate for street CPT's at GIA seems to stem from the "I know everything already" additude people come in with. The training is difficult on purpose to weed out the bad apples. GIA doesn't want just anyone to be a CPT. We need quality pilots who can handle a low time pilot next to them while performing the neccessary duties of the PIC. That part goes with the job.

The_Russian said:
Actually the training is very good. It is slow paced, much like you mentioned CMR's training. Four weeks of ground on initial, then 30 hours in the 1900C, then 30 hours in the 1900D level C or D sim.

Don't forget the 30 hours a week in the left seat of a Honda, delivering pizzas to pay Tom Cooper . . . . .

Originally Posted by The_Russian:

Ty, Baby, you want happy ending with that pizza?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back