Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flyer1015

Two questions for anyone who has been there/interviewed,

1. Does a US Comm/ME/Inst and ATP written qualify for them for FO position. I mean, they say a frozen ATPL is allowed, it's not a 'frozen ATPL' but about as close as it can get for those in the US without having the ATPL itself.

2. Anyone here interview there this year 2010 or 2009? How was it?

C'mon now, your thinking of running from 9E? Who will replace your commentary on the private board?

Anyway, the certificates you have are good enough to interview. If you search around people have interviewed there in the last year. Although (rumor now) I have heard they are not really interested in RJ drivers. This comes from a few former 9E'rs that are at Qatar right now. If you got bus or heavy time you jump to the top of the list. Don't have that, well you have nothing to lose on applying, just don't plan on a call tomorrow.

Ask around the DTW crew room, I am sure someone can put you in contact with a former 9E'rs.

Two questions for anyone who has been there/interviewed,

1. Does a US Comm/ME/Inst and ATP written qualify for them for FO position. I mean, they say a frozen ATPL is allowed, it's not a 'frozen ATPL' but about as close as it can get for those in the US without having the ATPL itself.

2. Anyone here interview there this year 2010 or 2009? How was it?

I interviewed this past November - see the "Emirates Interviews" thread for some of the details about not getting it.

But basically they fly you over at no cost from any Qatar station. First class if space available, I got it both ways. The first class experience on Qatar was very nice. Put up in the Marriot Doha, which was very nice as well, but far away from anything to see or do.

The interview is conducted in the conference room at the hotel and starts with a company overview. After that there is a written exam, look on pprune.com for some links on study guides. They grade the written right away. If you fail that is the end of the interview. If you pass you are sent back to your room and you will be notified of a time for the interview. If you pass the interview, you again are sent back to your room and will be notified of the arrangements for you sim eval. I did not make it to the sim eval so can't tell you much about that. And my interview consisted of a statement that I did not meet their currency requirements so they could not offer me a position.

I think it could be okay over there, but honestly was a bit disappointed with the compensation package. And the health insurance is not a global insurance, it is only good in Qatar.

NEDude,
Actually, the insurance is world-wide...it is one of the decent benefits QA offers. You can see a doctor in any country and be reimbursed. Compensation is also good, if you don't have kids. Schools are expensive, and the schooling allowance will cover only 1 kid. I've been here for a while, and when you put aside the negatives you end up with a guaranteed paycheck each month, job security (as long as you keep your nose clean), 42 days paid leave a year, new aircraft, and for US citizens, pay is tax-free. They are continually hiring new people and introducing new aircraft. After the turmoil and uncertainty experienced in US aviation, it is nice not to have to constantly be updating resumes and looking for new jobs because your airline furloughed you or went out of business. Not for everyone, but not as bad many imagine.

What do they hire into assuming you're an RJ driver? How long is training? What is the longevity for expats, do they stick around?

I have heard they are not really interested in RJ drivers. This comes from a few former 9E'rs that are at Qatar right now. If you got bus or heavy time you jump to the top of the list. Don't have that, well you have nothing to lose on applying, just don't plan on a call tomorrow.

Zup dondk! I would recommend that the RJ drivers that are interested in jobs abroad start applying in the next few months, Its going to get pretty interesting in the International Jobs market in 2011

Hi!

Yes, QR and EK are not really interested in RJ drivers today (or maybe that was yesterday, and today they are). The recruiters are already desperate, and month by month, as the months head toward about 2015, their level of despair will increase, barring a 911 type event.

The Tidal Wave of required pilots, less pilots worldwide, and US retirements starting again in 2012, after a 5 years absence, will come together to create a perfect storm.

I just read in another thread that in 2009 Australia awarded 20 new ATP licenses......20..........

cliff
LFW

Hi!

Yes, QR and EK are not really interested in RJ drivers today (or maybe that was yesterday, and today they are). The recruiters are already desperate, and month by month, as the months head toward about 2015, their level of despair will increase, barring a 911 type event.

The Tidal Wave of required pilots, less pilots worldwide, and US retirements starting again in 2012, after a 5 years absence, will come together to create a perfect storm.

I just read in another thread that in 2009 Australia awarded 20 new ATP licenses......20..........

cliff
LFW

Do they still have a "termination department"? Heard some of the guys at QR often move on to other jobs after a few years. Doha was a bit too conservative for the average westerner, makes Dubai seem like Chico State on a Saturday night. Great airline to fly on as a pax though...

Hi!

Yes, Dubai is more "Westernized" than Doha. It is also bigger and more to do. I AM sure that some people would find Doha more attractive, for various reasons.

cliff
LFW

Latest resources

Back