• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Qatar Airways anyone?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just seems odd that with so many hiring and an obvious military background and jet PIC time that someone would have hired you by now. I mean EK had an open house in Baghdad of all places. You post as you are in the know bit are really just repeating what you read on the boards. A lot of your info is actually incorrect. Just advice but maybe, just maybe, spend more time on finding out WHY you are not getting hired. Focus on your studies and interview presentation and your resume and not typing away with stuff everyone else has read. You should have at least been interviewed by at least EK and a few others by now.

Hi!

At various times, I have had interviews with: DAL, ACA, TSA, USAJet, Pinnacle, Corporate Airlines NetJets and Atlas. I have been called and offered jobs by a -135 in MI that doesn't exist anymore, and by Great Lakes. Eagle called me to interview and said no when they found out I wasn't in a current flying job...same for Comair. AWAC and Skyway (and probably CoEx) also did not interview me because no current flying job. Compass called me to interview and I didn't go (just after they hired all the DECs).

I WAS too old for Qatar, but they just changed their requirements. Too old for KAL, and a BUNCH of other flying jobs. Didn't apply to some jobs that I probably could've gotten while in the middle of my 1000 PIC jet, which now looks like a mistake, but at the time 1000 PIC jet seems like a good idea.

Had some good references and applied at FedEx and SWA as soon as I met the minimums....they both shut down hiring two weeks after I applied.

I STILL don't meet the mins at Virgin America, for example, because not enough fixed-wing time....started in helos, and, for whatever reason, have gotten jobs where my monthly flying hours have been relatively low.

Furloughed once. Laid off once (no union, so no furlough).

I keep trying.

cliff
LFW

ATPcliff you are a DC-9 Captain??? and should be getting called by at least Air Tran or Allegiant now. A lot of interviews with mostly regionals and no hiring? Seems a bit odd as I know a lot of people getting jobs albeit overseas. EK is desperate and you should have heard from them by now for sure. What I am saying is something is missing and you maybe just spending too much time on these boards and not figuring out why you are not getting called. Research only helps if your presentation the day of the interview is good. Lots of competition but you have or should have an advantage being ex military. If you spent as much time emailing and updating your resume and focus on how to present yourself better as you did on these boards, you would probably be at one of the places you talk about a lot. Focus Daniel Son, Lookin eye!

Hi!

I forgot to mention AirTran...interviewed there 2 years ago. Thought the they just didn't want me, but talked to a guy in my interview group. He said we were going to be called for a class date, but just then things started to go south for Airtran, they cancelled that class, and then furloughed. I talked to AirTran again a few months ago, and they said my stuff was OK, but not anything special...if I knew at least ONE AirTran pilot, that would give me enough "points" to get an interview. Don't know anyone there. Couldn't try for the JetBlue Open House or interview, as I had just gone back overseas...otherwise would've tried that.

I am currently a DC-9 FO. I came to my current job with only about 350 hrs in the -9, and only 40 as PIC...they said I needed 1000 in the -9 to upgrade...am at 960 so expecting it very soon.

I just keep trying.

cliff
LFW
now back to our regularly scheduled Qatar info programming. I noticed the new app was somewhat different, and my buddy, who interviewed there, said the new app is a lot simpler, and takes a lot less time to complete, so that is nice.

ATPCliff is a DAMN good guy!

Some people in this career are on the golden track - they have it easy. Get hired by a regional, upgrade within a year, get your 1000 PIC, go to the majors and you're there in a half decade barely having broken a sweat.

ATPCliff hasn't been so fortunate. He has worked literally all over the world (military, regional, USA Jet, currently in Africa - not to mention a few jobs I probably forgot).

I don't know him personally but I do have a tremendous amount of respect for the positive, upbeat approach he keeps despite all the adversity. He's had chances but one of these days he'll get that break.
ATP Cliff - when you get there, it is gonna taste damn sweet!

In the interim, he's a good resource for the rest of us, always helping to chime in with little facts or ideas or perspectives. If we were all like ATPCliff, FI would be a lot better place!

FCN

Last edited:
I try.

I am not saying that ATPLCLIFF isnt a good guy what I am saying is that the information is odd. He almost sounds like an expert or a recruiter (maybe he should be). What I have trouble with is that with his background he should be somewhere decent NOT in Africa. I know its nice to be forthcoming with information but what if that information is wrong or misleading or just a repeat. Look at all the types he has flown and KC-135's in the USAF and can't find a decent gig??? sorry but something is wrong. I know people with half his experince getting hired. Again I say, he spends a lot of time posting on ALL the boards and should be concentrating on his skill set. I wish you the best of luck ATPLCLIFF.

ATPCliff is a DAMN good guy!

I don't know him personally

FCN

If you dont know him, how do you know he is a DAMN good guy? Maybe he is not even a pilot? Maybe he is a tool who can do nothing but talk about airplanes? He says he does not know any Airtran pilots....well, network! Stop yapping on these stupid boards and figure out a way to network....its the name of the aviation game! I can almost guarantee that someone you know, also knows someone at Airtran....and if you are such a cool dude as some people think you are, then you should have no problem getting a connection.

Good luck!

Hi!

I was a recruiter (non-airline). When I was at TSA and USA Jet, I helped a LOT of people get info on those places (and get hired). I helped one guy at my airline go to EK, and another to get in interview at Atlas. A LOT of guys at USA Jet came to me for info on who was hiring, etc.

I ONLY have type ratings on DC-9 (not worth so much as too old and small...EK counts DC-9/737-200 time the same as RJ and smaller jets) and Falcon 20 (worth even less). KC-135 has no type rating, and I had no PIC time on it...only about 400 TT.

I am NOT a cool guy. I am a good guy, but a little boring. Starting in helos and not flying for 10 years did not help me at all. Also, I turned down an offer to Pay For Training at Comair in 1993 that would've helped my career a TON!

It is VERY DIFFICULT to get a recc. from someone you don't know personally, but I HAVE gotten them for Atlas, Mesba, Republic, Pinnacle and Corporate Airlines...none so far at AirTran. Have current recommendations for Allegiant/Delta, but that is not helping.

If no one yapped on the boards, all the threads and posts would be empty and there would be no information.

Have a nice day, and God Bless YOU!

cliff
LFW

Last edited:
Hi!

Forgot...ALL the reccomendations I have gotten from people I have known personally (like Atlas, to help me get the interview), plus my job at USA Jet, and help on my job at TSA and my Corporate Airlines interview, have been because I was yapping on the boards...

cliff
LFW

Latest resources

Back