• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Qatar Airways anyone?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Keep paying it forward Cliff it will payoff!

Hi!

Forgot...ALL the reccomendations I have gotten from people I have known personally (like Atlas, to help me get the interview), plus my job at USA Jet, and help on my job at TSA and my Corporate Airlines interview, have been because I was yapping on the boards...

cliff
LFW

sorry....edit...reccs from people I have NOT known personally....just met via the internet....man's GREATEST INVENTION!

ATPCLIFF, you do not have to explain anything about your life, to anybody on this forum! Keep the faith bro!

Didn't USA Jet just hire for the 9 and the 80? Can't you go back there? You also said previously you were a Captain in Africa on the 9 and your profile does say that.

Not flying for a while an being in hellos first would make it harder to get ahead in this line of work. Been reading Cliffs stuff for a while, he is a good guy.Commander if you worked in of Africa you would be on the Internet a lot too..

The thing I respect the most about ATPCliff is his persistence.

As I noted earlier - some guys have been on the fast track in the profession since literally the minute they stepped out of the womb.

Cliff on the other hand has dealt with adversity, obstacles, and rejection, yet is STILL pursuing his dreams AND keeping a great attitude about it. I have no doubt guys some guys he flew with in the KC135 had impecably-timed separation, where they left the military one month and got hired by UPS or SWA the next. Cliff is the opposite of that, the school of hard knocks. But look at the guy - he's flying in Africa, challenging conditions, away from his family but putting bread on the table, positive and upbeat about it, his family visits him over there and has a great time, and he is making lemonade after life served him a lemon.

One day an HR rep or Chief Pilot who does interviews is going to meet you and be BLOWN away with what you've done to make yourself be competitive. You'll be snapped up in a heartbeat!

Payoff will come Cliff - and on that day, all the energy and effort WILL be worth it. Don't let the bastards grind you down!

FCN

A couple other more things about ATPCliff:

The guy is inherently positive. He keeps an upbeat approach, regardless.
Tell me - would you rather fly with some bitter dude OR a positive one.

He has been instrumental in counseling people on this website and many others. ATPCliff has a lot of perspectives and insights to add - what with his diverse aviation background. He's quick with advice, and always looking to help out with the perspectives he has. If you don't like his message, that is fine, but don't shoot the well-intentioned messenger.

To the ones giving Cliff so much flak: what have you done to help out people here on FI. Cliff has been a respected FI voice for years.

As for Cliff not having a top-notch job just yet - his time will come. I believe he recently was unsuccessful at Atlas, but that is their loss. The competition in the first rounds of Atlas interviews in April/May was incredibly fierce, and most of the guys in the interview room had YEARS of international widebody flying or military heavy time. There is no shame in not being chosen - a lot of good folks didn't make the cut. That is what happens in this kind of market, where there is a lot more supply than demand.

But Cliff is being smart - he's a nerd (in a good way) about these aviation web boards, and he's using the knowledge he picks up to help in the application process for Emirates, Qatar, Etihad, etc.... He'll go back to the drawing room, tweak a few things, and the next time things will go right and it will be a BETTER job than Atlas.

But really - who knows why he didn't get the Atlas job. Maybe he made some gross technical errors in his answer, or maybe the interviewer didn't like his tie. Cliff is the kind of guy who is always trying to improve himself, and the knowledge he soaks up here, he's using it 110% in the application process. A factoid here, an insight there, the next thing you know, ATPCliff is soaring to the front of the next Big Wing Airlines interview date.

What I do know for certain is that people who are positive and have a good attitude towards work have a way of succeeding in this profession. Cliff is going to get that well-deserve break.

Last edited:
Well, While I feel your sentiments I have to disagree. I am not saying there is anything wrong with research. But what advice can you give if you yourself cannot seem to get hired at a reasonably decent carrier, especially after over a year of flying a jet in those tough conditions. If you use your reasoning, he should be at least Allegiant if not Air Tran. Now I say again look at the types he has flown, DC9/MD80/707 Falcon 20. Now as for being a Captain, 1000 hours in type, do you not get credit for time in type? So if you had already been a captain (typed and then current) would it not be reasonable to expect that one should be already in the left seat with 500 hours in type at that company. Additionally, EK is begging for crew and previously hired guys with less experience and ATPCliff is not even getting a call. I am really sorry but something is wrong with this whole picture. I am just not buying it. So call me a naysayer or a bully if you want but it's about credibility. If you want to really believe someone and take their advice make sure it is in fact credible. I see ATPCliff on just about every board posting things. Now how can you know those things if you are in Africa flying for god knows who. Perhaps you just read the same boards and repeat what you read. I think ATPCliff would be better off really keeping what he does private and focusing on his skills, resume and presentation because again it appears those very things keep coming into question. Perhaps we just don't really see what is REALLY going on.

Hi!

That pay IS low. I am now making about $90K for DC-9 FO. I am no where near qualified to do anything other than 747 FO. If I could be home every month, that would be worth a lot of $.

I have heard that they are getting -400s AND that they are only getting -200s. Anyone in the know???

cliff
LFW
PS-I was told that they wanted 757 qualified guys at first, and that they would be based overseas...no commuting.

In fact Cliff, Yes I am in the know and your information is incorrect. Your making $90,000 as a DC9 FO in Africa? Is that USD$ or KS$?

Latest resources

Back