• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Put Down The Laptops and Fly the Plane NWA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"I don't think there is a single FOM out there that dosen't say something to the effect of "reading of books, newspapers, listening to music or use of personal computers is prohibited"

Hmmm...Both airlines I worked at had no such policy or prohibitive statement in the GOM/FOM or anywhere else for that matter.

YKMKR
Isn't it Ironic ? At one of my previous airlines I would have had to get out my company issued laptop so that I could check my FOM/SOP to see if it was legal for me to use my laptop in flight. Or to make a confusing situation worse, You have a Fed on the jump seat and he want's to play "Stump the Chump" while enroute, do you get out the computer and answer his questions only to get burned for getting out your computer. Catch 22 ??

I honestly still think they were sleeping. To go an hour and 18 min without contact?....

Of course they were. Like you said. I don't care how tired you are, NO ONE, let alone BOTH guys at the same time would have allowed what happened if they were just "in a heated discussion"..no, wait, "using our laptops"....

They were racked out, went off headsets and with the headsets off, had likely forgot to turn on the overhead speaker or it's volume was turned way down.

I don't know how NWA's ACARS box is set up, does it have a chime? I can't imagine there were not a few ACARS messages in there too!

These were "mainline" pilots...Let's forgive them...at least they weren't dangerous "regional" pilots..

Your cries for help are getting old.

Last edited:
You guys actually believe this?

Exactly... who the heck actually believes this b/s story?

I can see the laptop being an excuse for missing a few radio calls or an altitude bust, but we're supposed to believe it was the reason for 1 1/2 hours of radio silence and at LEAST 45 minutes of lost situational awareness??

Give me a break...

I honestly still think they were sleeping. To go an hour and 18 min without contact? Who can do that and not start to wonder what is going on? Even if they weren't sleeping, had they just said from the beginning, we had inadvertantly fallen asleep due to lack of rest and being fatigued but feared for getting in trouble for calling in fatigued this would be pointed in a different direction entirely.

Bada-BINGO!!!!!

Latest resources

Back