• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

PSA: Tower closed courtesy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My experience is that sometimes ATC will issue without a "Hold for release." Sometimes they will. If they don't give me one and I know it will be awhile, I ask for the hold. I get all the info, in this case it can be put in the little box-thingy, and all I have to do is give them a call when #1. No delay. No prob. It's not all on ATC. They are not the ones getting ready for the flight.

That's what 200 hrs get's you

Captain has 200 hours?

What Captain has 200 hours at PSA?

Exactly.

PSA needs to review the proper way to get a clearance when the control tower is closed. You should wait until you are NUMBER ONE for departure before giving center a call, not while you're sitting at the gate. When you get that clearance, you close the entire airport to other IFR arrivals/departures. I held short for 10 minutes in MGM this morning waiting for PSA to finally make its way out to the runway. This is not the first time this has happened this month and PSA has a reputation for doing this in AVL as well. I know most of you guys know better; Please spread the word to those who don't.

Because no ASA plane has ever forgotten to cancel IFR, or done exactly as you have described at any airport. How does shutting down GRR for nearly 45 minutes because the crew forgot to cancel sound?

Get a life, nobody wants to hear your Q.Qing over getting clearance when not #1, it happens, maybe they didn't know you clowns were going out at the same time. Would PSA have had to wait for you while center coordinated your clearance into Hotlanta? Come on, Gomer Pile.

I thought you were saving fuel anyways in the ATRetard.

His qualifications are very strong though :) . CFII and an FO with 2000 hours. Arent you block or better ?

There ARE Captains that ask their F/Os to get the clearance before they have even started up, like they are worried about not being able to get the clearance.
I've been one of those F/Os that have been asked to do this, and I just tell them that ATC said they won't give us the clearance till we are at least #1 and ready to go. :nuts:

Why in the eff would ATC 1. not issue "hold for release" instructions and 2. issue void times in excess of 10 minutes?

Sure its courteous to not call ready until you're #1, but sounds like ATC down there is seriously lacking...

If I was #1 for departure and it's a full clearance you are still going to wait 10 mins while I plug it into the FMS and verify It's correct. :crying:

Good thing you don't fly to Mexico, where they give you the clearance along with the t/o clearance while you backtaxi down the runway for departure.

Hold for release is fine. However if crews are receiving a void time and accepting it while still at the gate there is a problem that needs to be addressed.

This is my gripe. I'm fully aware of hold for release procedures. However, in AVL and MGM PSA has frequently gotten released by center while still on the ramp. I just don't appreicate being told to hold for release due to departing traffic, only to find that the "departing" aircraft was still on the ramp while I was approaching the hold short line.

Well I see you are at a regional who hires low timers as well. Perhaps you yourself should review your way of getting a release and inform the center there as well. You can get a clearance at a closed tower via center whenever! However center should thus tell you to HOLD for release. Thus this is what happens at many MANY uncontrolled fields throughout the United States. I did all my IFR training at an uncontrolled field by Indianapolis and this is exactly what happen all the time. We fly pleanty into OAL (JAX NC) with you're CRJ200s and they do the same thing (while at the gate getting clearnace and told, "hold for relase")

Perhaps one needs to educate themselves first and also edcuate those down in MGM ATC about how to effectively use the "hold for relase." Anyways continue to rant if you wish.

I'll admit I used poor terminology in my first post. My gripe pertained to requesting release from center while still at the gate, not the initial clearance.

Latest resources

Back