PSA: Tower closed courtesy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

centralpilot

PSA needs to review the proper way to get a clearance when the control tower is closed. You should wait until you are NUMBER ONE for departure before giving center a call, not while you're sitting at the gate. When you get that clearance, you close the entire airport to other IFR arrivals/departures. I held short for 10 minutes in MGM this morning waiting for PSA to finally make its way out to the runway. This is not the first time this has happened this month and PSA has a reputation for doing this in AVL as well. I know most of you guys know better; Please spread the word to those who don't.

PSA needs to review the proper way to get a clearance when the control tower is closed. You should wait until you are NUMBER ONE for departure before giving center a call, not while you're sitting at the gate. When you get that clearance, you close the entire airport to other IFR arrivals/departures. I held short for 10 minutes in MGM this morning waiting for PSA to finally make its way out to the runway. This is not the first time this has happened this month and PSA has a reputation for doing this in AVL as well. I know most of you guys know better; Please spread the word to those who don't.

Well I see you are at a regional who hires low timers as well. Perhaps you yourself should review your way of getting a release and inform the center there as well. You can get a clearance at a closed tower via center whenever! However center should thus tell you to HOLD for release. Thus this is what happens at many MANY uncontrolled fields throughout the United States. I did all my IFR training at an uncontrolled field by Indianapolis and this is exactly what happen all the time. We fly pleanty into OAL (JAX NC) with you're CRJ200s and they do the same thing (while at the gate getting clearnace and told, "hold for relase")

Perhaps one needs to educate themselves first and also edcuate those down in MGM ATC about how to effectively use the "hold for relase." Anyways continue to rant if you wish.

That's what 200 hrs get's you

Ah so that's what Colgan, ASA, Comair, AE, PDT, Pinnacle, Mesa get as well? Oh yeah what about RAH at 500 and SKW at 800 (if you have 121 experience from the above list)? Oh yeah wait that's the entire regional industry! But very mature and educated post sir... greatly appreciated!

AWWWWW

DA POOH POOH BABEEEE HADDD TOOOO

hooolllld FOR TEN BEEEEG MEEENUTS

WAAAAAHHHHHHH

WAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

WAHHHHH

HOLD FOR RELEASE!! If you have never used it, you should. If I was #1 for departure and it's a full clearance you are still going to wait 10 mins while I plug it into the FMS and verify It's correct. :crying:

HOLD FOR RELEASE!! If you have never used it, you should. If I was #1 for departure and it's a full clearance you are still going to wait 10 mins while I plug it into the FMS and verify It's correct. :crying:

EXACTLY..... plus then go back over all the delayed checklist from the beginning due to the FMS should at most companies be set up before you ever start the engines. Therefore if you go back by book you sould re do some list as well. Anyways they are simple words, "HOLD FOR RELEASE" especially since this poster was a CFII he should know better.

Hold for release is fine. However if crews are receiving a void time and accepting it while still at the gate there is a problem that needs to be addressed.

Hold for release is fine. However if crews are receiving a void time and accepting it while still at the gate there is a problem that needs to be addressed.

That would be different. There's no way a CA would accept a void time and not call back and cancel it. At least IMO. All the CA's I've been around and jumped on with various airlines are careful with that kind of stuff. Anyways you are correct a clearance void time is different. Buta again if you got a clerance void time I highly doubt it was a 10 minute window with other 121 carriers trying to get out.

However this guys post isnt totally in vain. Perhaps Center down there needs to be encouraged to give a hold for release. If they did not and could see other departures were going to occur from MGM that's on them.

Regardless someone who posted should check their own knowledge of instrument procedures. Getting a clearance as we've already discussed while at the gate happens by every airline and is a perfectly fine practice.

Latest resources

Back