Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

PSA runs off runway during a aborted takeoff at CRW!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There's a lot of crumpled concrete from "almost" the end of the runway until where they "almost" stopped before hitting the EMAS......

Can anyone give a good reason the flaps are up? Our QRH during evac doesn't say anything about putting the flaps up. If that is the case did the Takeoff Config flaps fail and they tried to take off with no flaps?

Think of what this means. They do not want you @#%@# around in the highspeed regime of takeoff. Personally, I think we should call out V1 at V1-5 knots. Several CR2 operators already do this. If you callout V1 at V1, and a problem occurs a second before, by the time you abort, the aircraft will be above V1. All book calculations of stopping are now out the window.

Aren't "all book calculations" based on average reaction times?

We did the V1-5kts thing at my past airlines, too. If we're always going to call it 5kts early, why not just reduce V1 by 5kts?

They need to teach better on exactly what constitutes a high speed abort. You'd think it's common sense, but many don't seem to "get it." I cringe when I hear some pilots brief they will abort for any "Master Caution or Warning" below V1. Really? You'd take a 120 knot abort due to a master caution for something as stupid as a L Windshield heat msg? On the CRJ, above 80-100 knots, I can't think of any master caution I'd abort for. Short of flight control failure or the actual airplane being unable to lift itself off the runway, I would continue.

Latest resources

Back