Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

PSA runs off runway during a aborted takeoff at CRW!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yeah, you go off to the south west without that and you won't stop till you hit downtown!

There is actually a grave yard immediately below or down the hill from the edge of the EMAS. We used to mention that in our take off briefings.

The airport has it's own Facebook account and posted pictures. This is funny(or maybe not so funny - hey mom I'm on Facebook); an airport doing this. Can you imagine every airport doing this? Expect your screwups to be posted folks. And the airport even sent it out on Twitter.

http://www.facebook.com/FlyCRW

I have heard various accounts regarding that DC-6 which ran off the side of the hill at CRW. The rumors are the Six was trying to land and the brakes failed so Cappy decided to cob the throttles and take it around the patch but instead the old girl went off the side of the cliff and split wide-open spraying the contents of the aircraft (Pot, in this case) all over the hillside. Supposedly the pot started growing, and unbenounced to the cops, the locals started harvesting it off of the hill leading up to the airport. I'll add that the pilot made an out of court settlement. He didn't serve any jail time at all.

The important thing is everyone is ok. Speculating on why they stopped is pointless but it was definitely for a good reason because we all know that runway is short and the view at the end is not a good one if you're not taxiing.

EMAS cant be used in performance calcs, neither can the stop way, acars only uses the usable runway for calcs.

Not sure what criteria PSA uses for takeoff data, but most Part 121 carriers I've seen use data that is predicated on 121.189c1. Which states:
" The accelerate-stop distance must not exceed the length of the runway plus the length of any stopway."

So, yes, on a high speed abort on a runway limited field you can expect to go through the end lights and end up resting in the stop way area; or EMASS; assuming you do everything right.

Last edited:
I always understood the T/O data to include the use of the stopway, or in this case, the EMAS. In short, I fealt that C.W. was a departure not to be aborted unless a wing fell off..............

Installing EMAS would actually do more damage to an airframe at several airports rather than the grass at the end. It's too expensive and very impractical for many airports. If the ASA 700 would have used the EMAS at SAV, it would have torn some stuff up good (gear doors, struts, belly skin, etc.). With the grass at the end, it probably just needed to be hosed off and given an inspection with few, if any, broken parts as a result............

Latest resources

Back