Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

PSA runs off runway during a aborted takeoff at CRW!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No substitution for EXPERIENCE. None.
Agreed, but I stand by my comment. Our books are quite clear on what constitutes an abort. It's a condition that if the aircraft is unable or unsafe to fly. Just because your flaps are set at 8 and your numbers for flaps 20, IMO, does not constitute for a high speed abort. If you've studied up your aircraft's speeds, as mentioned in the post you quoted, it's basically 10 knots 'faster' when you have flaps 8. There are very very few things I'd abort for in the highspeed regime of flight, and especially on a short runway.

Agreed, but I stand by my comment. Our books are quite clear on what constitutes an abort. It's a condition that if the aircraft is unable or unsafe to fly. Just because your flaps are set at 8 and your numbers for flaps 20, IMO, does not constitute for a high speed abort. If you've studied up your aircraft's speeds, as mentioned in the post you quoted, it's basically 10 knots 'faster' when you have flaps 8. There are very very few things I'd abort for in the highspeed regime of flight, and especially on a short runway.

There have been many many crashes due to taking off with the wrong flap setting, so i can see why someone would abort for that.

I also see what you are saying though, in this case particularly, had it not been for the overrun there would have been many fatalities.

There have been many many crashes due to taking off with the wrong flap setting, so i can see why someone would abort for that.

I also see what you are saying though, in this case particularly, had it not been for the overrun there would have been many fatalities.

accident caused by "wrong flap setting"? can't think of one...

You guys need to be shut down and the majors need to take over your flying. Just saying.....

What's wrong, you could not get hired when you applied? Still bitter, aren't you. Now go back to flying your Flight Sim.

NO flap take-off accidents, there have been plenty.
the last one was in august of '08 (md80)
"wrong flap setting" i.e. xx instead of yy, doesn't cause an accident

Where xx = 00, and yy > 00, the probability of NWA = 255 approaches 100 and your logic approaches 0.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back