• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

PSA Rumor Or Fact?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FME: The one thing any pilot group needs to worry about is a pilot who works for a tiny operation, flying a defunct model of turboprop, and no prospects for a future in sight. They'd do just about anything to secure RJ flying at the expense of other pilots' careers, including their own.

That's right- a PSA pilot circa 2000.

Unless Piedmont gets on the ball I see us going away by 2015. Why? First off theres absolutely no future growth. You wanna be a turbo prop FO for 5 years? Hence once the hiring starts.... JetBlue, VA, Delta, Airtran you are gonna see a big flux of Pilots from the regionals head over including Piedmont.
Now your gonna see companies like Republic, Compass, Airwhiskey, and others needing FO's. And guess where most are gonna come from?? You got it Piedmont..... Just like 3 years ago when everyone left Piedmont and the only people we could hire were the 300-500 hour pilots. I even think we've had 2 FO's with 3 years here already bail for Compass (which has a flow and a future).
That being said, now the FAA starts the 1500hr ATP requirements!!! Guess what no more pilots. Piedmont will then simply just start returning Airplanes and become a ground based operator.
Sad, because this airline has some great people. But unless you see new equipment or a flowthru I would bet most FO's and Junior Captains will be running away from this airline. And there won't be anyone around to replace them.

Unless Piedmont gets on the ball I see us going away by 2015. Why? First off theres absolutely no future growth. You wanna be a turbo prop FO for 5 years? Hence once the hiring starts.... JetBlue, VA, Delta, Airtran you are gonna see a big flux of Pilots from the regionals head over including Piedmont.
Now your gonna see companies like Republic, Compass, Airwhiskey, and others needing FO's. And guess where most are gonna come from?? You got it Piedmont..... Just like 3 years ago when everyone left Piedmont and the only people we could hire were the 300-500 hour pilots. I even think we've had 2 FO's with 3 years here already bail for Compass (which has a flow and a future).
That being said, now the FAA starts the 1500hr ATP requirements!!! Guess what no more pilots. Piedmont will then simply just start returning Airplanes and become a ground based operator.
Sad, because this airline has some great people. But unless you see new equipment or a flowthru I would bet most FO's and Junior Captains will be running away from this airline. And there won't be anyone around to replace them.

You hit the nail on the head there.

However I would suggest that things are different now than they were in 2007. How? Well in 2007 PDTs fleet had a solid 6-8 years left on it, and now in 2010 its down to 3-5 years (on the 100s) assuming that no massive capital investment is made. Not many FOs want to work at a regional with a 3-5 year upgrade when 75% of the fleet expires just when they would be upgrading.

In 2007 everyone was hiring 300-500 hr pilots. Also, you need not worry about the 1500hr reg. IF and that's a huge IF, that every gets implemented it wouldn't be for another decade.

PSA will piss on Piedmont again. It did happen before and it will happen again. History always repeat itself, count on that.

All 14 700s should go to Piedmont and have PDT flying dash8s and 700s and PSA only 35 200's

Fair is fair

PSA will piss on Piedmont again. It did happen before and it will happen again. History always repeat itself, count on that.

All 14 700s should go to Piedmont and have PDT flying dash8s and 700s and PSA only 35 200's

Fair is fair

Hahahahah! No! Perfect world would be PSA/Piedmont Combine! Operate all of US Airways flying with 700/900's along with Dash 8 300/400's! That would be an incredible fleet. But I'll put my Crown and Coke down now! :)

Also, PSA doesn't piss me off! They flew the D-328's that were gonna go. They needed a new fleet. Piedmont/ALG did what they did good. So why screw with a good operation.
I just wish we could upgrade to more 300's and some 400's.

Last edited:
Dont get greedy.

Excuse me? I would hardly call a 4% raise on top of our mediocre pay rates "greedy." Also, if we vote yes on LOA 11 then we guarantee that our contract negotiations will be dragged out for years. CRJ 900 rates were management's idea. It is the only negotiating capital we have at this point. Lets not give it away. Vote no!

Those who fly the 700 exclusively are subsidizing the 200 flying. I believe if you were the top 10 senior pilots you lose about $9k/year by us having the blended rate.

Kinda scary thought process here. The Senior guys already got their gold, when they negotiated the original pay rates.

Didn't capt's get about a 20-30% pay increase, while the f/o's got what.....3%?? "Yup you'll be be senior sometime son"

Now the Sr. capt's not happy with that screwing, want to screw the Jr. capts' (who BTW were those Jr F/O's) and get their money money back?

Not to mention the pressure you'll put on guys to commute to fly the heavy again...HAHAHA

Hahahahah! No! Perfect world would be PSA/Piedmont Combine! Operate all of US Airways flying with 700/900's along with Dash 8 300/400's! That would be an incredible fleet. But I'll put my Crown and Coke down now! :)

Also, PSA doesn't piss me off! They flew the D-328's that were gonna go. They needed a new fleet. Piedmont/ALG did what they did good. So why screw with a good operation.
I just wish we could upgrade to more 300's and some 400's.

Fair statement.

Share or merge should be the goal for both PSA and PDT......

Here is a good one. I heard that at JFK few hrs ago.

Mesa is buying PSA and Piedmont as soon as they come out of BK for 45 million and 5 year extension on their 900s.

Latest resources

Back