PSA out of the 18th century?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
PSAChiefPilots:

I am about to send in my application to PSA. I have 1200TT. About 560 of that time is in a King Air 350 which requires a type rating that I do not have. I have been flying the airplane and have gained a lot of experience from it, but there seems to be some ambiguity in logging it. Almost all of my other time since training is in a King Air 200 which requires no type. Will you take into consideration all of this experience? Thanks.

Traykn said:
PSAChiefPilots:

I am about to send in my application to PSA. I have 1200TT. About 560 of that time is in a King Air 350 which requires a type rating that I do not have. I have been flying the airplane and have gained a lot of experience from it, but there seems to be some ambiguity in logging it. Almost all of my other time since training is in a King Air 200 which requires no type. Will you take into consideration all of this experience? Thanks.

That's pretty risky logging that time. I'm sure many others will respond with their considered opinion...

Traykn said:
Im logging it in a separate book and being upfront about it.

Traykn:
If your logging it in a seperate logbook, then you must have some dought yourself whether or not it's valid. It's good your being up front about it, but can you give a little insight to exactly what your doing for the company that is using you. Is it a 135 charter outfit? A priviate owner etc etc. The BE-350, I know you need a type rating for it, but can it be flown single pilot?

PSAChiefPilots is probably the best ne to either PM or ask. He's ultimatly the one of the interviewers that make the decision or what is valid time or not.

It will certainly come up in an interview though.

350 time

Fill out without the 350 time, Then bring in the add'l Logbook and maybe another Copy of the Flt time sheet with the add'l 350 time...As I always say..."it always comes out in the sim." If you are flying the aircraft, it will come out. If you are not flying the Aircraft (turning knobs.), that will show as well. honesty is the best policy!
Thanks,
Good Luck,
PSACPSP

Traykn said:
PSAChiefPilots:

I fly right seat for mostly 135 flights. The aircraft does need a type rating but the type rating has an "auto pilot in lue" of second in command. Therefore, it can be flown single pilot. The FARs say that if an SIC is not needed, then you can log the hours without a SIC certificate. The plane normally needs an SIC, but because of the special type certificate, I am not needed. So the questions is, am I not needed because of the auto pilot, and can therefore log it, or is the auto pilot acting as SIC and there cannot be two SICs, and so I cannot log it. Nomatter how many people I ask, I get a different answer as to how they interpret the FARS.

I am doing the flying from both seats and gaining valuable experience, but the technicality of logging it worries me. I don't log it as PIC and keep it in a separate logbook just in case. I guess it just depends on how the interviewer interprets whether or not this experience is valuable to the company. Personally, I think this time is better than hours flying a 152.

Latest resources

Back