PSA out of the 18th century?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Traykn said:
I fly right seat for mostly 135 flights. The aircraft does need a type rating but the type rating has an "auto pilot in lue" of second in command. Therefore, it can be flown single pilot. The FARs say that if an SIC is not needed, then you can log the hours without a SIC certificate. The plane normally needs an SIC, but because of the special type certificate, I am not needed. So the questions is, am I not needed because of the auto pilot, and can therefore log it, or is the auto pilot acting as SIC and there cannot be two SICs, and so I cannot log it. Nomatter how many people I ask, I get a different answer as to how they interpret the FARS.

I am doing the flying from both seats and gaining valuable experience, but the technicality of logging it worries me. I don't log it as PIC and keep it in a separate logbook just in case. I guess it just depends on how the interviewer interprets whether or not this experience is valuable to the company. Personally, I think this time is better than hours flying a 152.

Regardless of what your seat your in, your not the PIC since you don't have the type. However, something like this is tricky. I'm sure you get alot of diffrent interpretations of the FARS, but usually the one that is not in your favor is usually the safest way to go. I'm sure thats not what you want to hear, but in the long term of your career, it will proably be your best bet.

Do you still meet the mins without any of the KingAir time? Will this 135 gig check you out as a Captain? How long have you been there?

Like PSAChiefPilots said, your performance in the sim will speak volumes to what you have been doing in regards to your experince. I'm not just talking about the interview, I'm aslo talking about your actual sim schedule if hired.

Also, if the airplane is certified by the FAA as a single pilot airplane, and your logging SIC on 135 legs, it will raise a red flag if the interviewer is sharp.

Thanks for your imput. I am not logging it PIC and I do keep it separate so that it can not hurt my career as long as I am honest about it. A problem is, as you say, that I do not meet the minimums for PSA at least with out this time. I will have no problem what so ever in a sim for interview or training purposes. It sure is tricky, as you say. It looks like it will just depend on who I get in the interview. Thanks again.

I see it more as if they understand the value of something rather than if they are smart enought to "catch" me at something. I am sure not trying to trick anyone.

Sorry, I do not get them!

Sorry, I do not get them, THey go to the HR department, She is the department for hiring, She was out Friday and Tuesday...You'll hear back soon.
Good Luck,
PSACPSP

Gofish said:
Chief,

Get my packet?

I would really like to earn that free fish dinner!

regards,

Gofish

Latest resources

Back