• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

PSA good and bad please!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Does anyone know how to update with PSA? I applied back in July via email and got the response forwarding me to the application, which I sent in. If I try to update via email I still get the forwarding link to the application. I don't have to fill out a new ap every time I want to update do I?

328dude said:
No kidding, I never saw CP's eyes get so big in my life after that arrival.

It's a b!tch to land. Watch a 15K dash-time guy prang it on- and ya don't feel so bad.

Response to LoveGun's Posting From a PSA Dispatcher

First off LoveGun...Good impression of the company and of yourself, by writing you have not shown up to work on time or in proper uniform in three years. Is this part of the reason we are taking so many crew delays???

Rarely do we take a maintenance delay.....WHAT FANTASY WORLD ARE YOU LIVING IN??? Apparently you have never been in OCC, when we have 6 or 7 aircraft down hard that day, or hearing the constant call of "Ops Checked Good", only to have the problem reoccur on the next flight, either causing a delay at the outstation, or better yet, doing a return to the field, with a full load of passengers, who were just delayed out due to the maintenance issue, and then having their flight cancel. Maintenance is right on their game.

Now, lets touch on what you said about dispatch. NOT ONE CREWMEMBER HAS ANY IDEA OF WHAT DISPATCH's PURPOSE IS, NOR DOES THE PSA TRAINING DEPARTMENT INSTILL IN YOUR HEAD WHAT OUR PURPOSE IS. I suggest you read FAR 121.533, for your enjoyment.

Response To LoveGun's Posting From a PSA Dispathcer..Part 2

As a pilot, you isolate yourself, and not you being isolated, because you are surrounded by idiots with a attitude. It is due to the fact, that not one PSA crewmember consults with dispatch, like they should. I have witnessed crew members calling crew scheduling and asking them questions that only dispatch could answer. And yes, I take it as an insult that you stated you are surrounded by idiots. How many times have we witnessed in this office, all you smart pilots, who are apparently illiterate, because you can not read your releases, by either not calling dispatch as asked on the release for a weather briefing, or better yet, getting on the wrong aircraft, why because you do not read your releases. Like to be around when a Fed is doing a line check, and this happens, and it will, and who will be calling who an idiot then.

Yes, I am upset, and rightfully so. Because we are a vital part of this operation, and yet we are the most overlooked. If you knew your FAR's, you would know, that the pilot and the dispatcher are suppose to work as a team. And I do not appreciate being refferred to as a "idiot with an attitude".

I personally invite you anytime to come sit with a dispatcher, for an entire shift, and see what we actually do for you, and what we have to put up with, from your group. Please anytime, come in, sit, and observe, ask questions. Crew scheduling is not the only part of this company that is vital to you and the rest of the pilots, but yet, when you guys are in here, you never speak to the dispatchers, only scheduling.

So come on in prove me wrong.

Other than that PSA is a Great Company to work for, if certain employees knew the whole story, and just not what they want to believe

I for one would be happy to sit with dispatch for a shift. I know we pilots aren't blameless but why is it our ACARS messages aren't always responded to when we need pertinent information ie: weather, burns to an alt due to holding etc...? I have a pretty good understanding of the considerable demands placed upon dispatchers as I was once one myself.

PoorJetDriver...I agree, there are many days, I see this, weather being ignored, flights in holding, and hearing other dispatchers say, thats what they have the FMS for, and you guys are being ignored,

And I apologize for my anger in my response, but I come from the old school, not one of the young guys in Dispatch, where the pilot and dispatcher worked with one another, not against. The dispatcher is suppose to know where there flights are at all time, and they cannot even remember one they dispatched 5 minutes ago

Both parties are at fault,and it is time to rectify this

Please come into dispatch, on a bad weather day or maintenance day, and see what it is like and give us your input. Because isn't that what our working relationship is suppose to be

ABC, Don't get too upset. I don't think Lovegun is causing delays showing up for work late. That was probably tongue-in-cheek. If you flew the line with us you'd see that rarely do we get to work exactly at showtime, but that doesn't affect our on-time at all. In Knoxville, where I stay at the Fairfield in lieu of a crashpad, I routinely leave the hotel at or slightly after showtime and still always have tons of time to spare. And the improper uniform statement probably means he leaves his hat at home. Again, big deal. I've never seen PSA guys look as sloppy as some of the Mesa guys who wear wrong-color Dockers and black Reeboks. However, you are right to be offended, though I don't think the "idiots" statement was totally directed at dispatch. I've been in dispatch several times and know you guys work hard. I think you do a great job too and always get great help when I have to call on the phone. Yes we make mistakes, but you guys are not immune either. Just yesterday I had to call because we didn't have an alternate when there was a TEMPO for 2SM 1800 BKN at our destination. It didn't upset me though and I didn't cuss to my FO about the idiots in dispatch. These things happen -- no big deal. That's what a team is for. I think most of us DO know what dispatch does and appreciate that fact. But since all the work groups are largely isolated, it's not hard to see from our perspective why we sometimes think the company is run crummily. We deal with lousy schedules, and the reserves have to deal with seemingly inept schedulers often. But don't blame us for having these conceptions of the company. About the crew delays, I think we all know that crews rarely cause delays. If a flight is coded as a crew delay, it's probably because of the gate agent entering it that way. I ALWAYS send a delay code by ACARS. I don't know if other captains do as well. Are the dispatchers faithfully recoding the delays after we send a code? We have no way of knowing. And please don't blame MX RTGs or diversions on us either. If it's broke, we call MX. We have to. I invite all dispatchers to fly an entire day of six legs with us to see our side of things. Then you'll see that our on-time pushback was no small miracle after I spent the last 45 minutes combing through the release, WX, NOTAMS, field report (yes I do read that stuff), calling dispatch for an ammendment, calling MX for guidance on something screwy, coordinating with OPS because the fuel, catering, lav service is late, then dealing with rampers who want to add bags three minutes before push, recalculating the CG, moving passengers, and finally getting the door closed and the brakes released. Whew -- I'm fatigued just thinking about it. And no, I never get thanked for being on time, just blamed when I'm not.

Last edited:
I agree with everything DorkProp wrote and would like to add that the whole time we are doing all those things to get the airplane out on time, we are not being paid.

I used to bring classes of new hires in weekly to spend some time in dispatch seeing what goes on there, so I have a very good idea of what you guys put up with. I don't think there is a single pilot I've flown with who blames dispatch for the problems with this company.
You guys should do one round trip, every few months, on the jumpseat just to see what goes on out here.

Latest resources

Back