Professional Pilot Salary Study 2005

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
aeronautic1 said:
A fair and equitable salary, type rating, rapid upgrade and other considerations made this an excellent avenue for me to super-mids. I couldn't be happier.

Yes you could .... when you stop flying charter ... then true job satisfaction and happiness will set in :)

pa56pa said:
such as??

a new hire's compensation in P91 ops is usually derived from prior experience, compensation history, employment history, training, ratings, education, internal equity of operation, compensation culture of operation and level of experience req'd by the company. there would probably be a wide range that takes into account previously mentioned variables. therefore it could vary quite a bit, and to throw out a number without qualification would not help much. in my estimation the range could go from 60-120 for the position you asked about. :)

Last edited:
I think you should have to pay them to fly their plane!! hey, you'll get to fly all over the world for free, you should have to pay for that.

How's the wife and kids?

pa56pa said:
Sooo.... what would be an average starting salary for an FO flying a G550 (corp. pt 91) ?? and make that be based in SFO?? <<<< curious

semperfido said:
a new hire's compensation in P91 ops is usually derived from prior experience, compensation history, employment history, training, ratings, education, internal equity of operation, compensation culture of operation and level of experience req'd by the company. there would probably be a wide range that takes into account previously mentioned variables. therefore it could vary quite a bit, and to throw out a number without qualification would not help much. in my estimation the range could go from 60-120 for the position you asked about. :)

I know where I stand.... and 60 isnt even NEAR where these people are willing to pay... lol . At least not in the bay area.... thanks. I think I'm gonna ask Capt601.

capt601 said:
I think you should have to pay them to fly their plane!! hey, you'll get to fly all over the world for free, you should have to pay for that.

How's the wife and kids?

On 2nd thought.......

HUSH! before I sick my dog on u... I'm actually enjoying my schedule with these people while it lasts... I know that in the G, it will be a different story alltogether. It can only get better, and if not, I'm happy to stay domestic w/ my hot rod.

The family's doing fine, now that it's summer...!

pa56pa said:
I know where I stand.... and 60 isnt even NEAR where these people are willing to pay... lol . At least not in the bay area.... thanks. I think I'm gonna ask Capt601.

on the other hand let's not be shortsighted, you might want to consider getting a few years on that acft even if the pay would be on the low side (if the opportunity is available to you), then you would have many other options available down the road. :)

Last edited:
G4G5 said:
I know two large banks out of HPN and I would be very, very surprised if they had more than 3 or 4 regular line captains making over $150K, my guess is that niether has a regular line pilot over $175k.

I remember last year a good buddy of mine interviewed at Citi, they were looking for a Global Express & F900 captain (dual qual). They called my buddy back for a sim ride and told him that they were starting at $90K. He said asked if that was FO and they said, "no that's captain". He asked about a raise or if they were negotiable, they said, "no".
He told them to save the sim money because they needed it more then he did. He now has a $175K G4 job at the same field and they got what they paid for.

Moral of the story, The jobs are out there if you look but for every descent job their is some dirtbag operation that will try to under pay you to work 17+ days a month if you let them.

Well good for you and your buddy...I guess some things never change...Gulfstream pilots are the best, they make the most, they are the smartest people in the world...oh yeah...and they're always right. I'd like to know..when you got your first job flying corporate...what did you make? did you start at the bottom or did they just give you lots of money because you told them to.

Lets set the record straight about Citi...coming from a person who works there...First of all, if you haven't noticed, I take offense to been labeled a "dirtbag operation" How many dirtbag operations own GLEX's and Falcons. I happen to be dual qualified and I can't remember the last time I worked more than 12 days in a month. Thats besides the point that my "dirtbag" company gives me 4 weeks of vacation...form the date of hire. How aabout job security with your 175K job? Working for the largest bank in the world, and one of the largest companies in the world, my job is as secure as you can get in aviation.

Its true...the salary ain't the greatest..but we all have to start somewhere. I happened to start 3 years ago and my salary has increased 25% since then. Doesn't sound too horrible does it?

As for the "lear" pilot we hired..you're right..we got what we paid for... a great guy and an excellent pilot. Best part...he doesn't complain...he's a professional and a team player.

We all have our reasons to work we work..I just hope we don't ever buy gulfstreams...its too hard being right all the time

That dumb-ass article misstated my pay by about 50% . . . . . it was clear that it was written by someone who didn't have any particular knowlege of the subject.

For example, at my airline, most pilots upgrade by year three, but they show "5th year FO pay" and "10th year CA pay". There are only a handful of either of those guys. Way to skew the numbers. Either you made $46K or $165K, instead of the middle, where most of us are.

For the record, a CA with just over four years on property is looking at $132K/yr working probably 15 days a month and 11-12 RON.

Last edited:
BuddhaJ said:
Well good for you and your buddy...I guess some things never change...Gulfstream pilots are the best, they make the most, they are the smartest people in the world...oh yeah...and they're always right. I'd like to know..when you got your first job flying corporate...what did you make? did you start at the bottom or did they just give you lots of money because you told them to.

Lets set the record straight about Citi...coming from a person who works there...First of all, if you haven't noticed, I take offense to been labeled a "dirtbag operation" How many dirtbag operations own GLEX's and Falcons. I happen to be dual qualified and I can't remember the last time I worked more than 12 days in a month. Thats besides the point that my "dirtbag" company gives me 4 weeks of vacation...form the date of hire. How aabout job security with your 175K job? Working for the largest bank in the world, and one of the largest companies in the world, my job is as secure as you can get in aviation.

Its true...the salary ain't the greatest..but we all have to start somewhere. I happened to start 3 years ago and my salary has increased 25% since then. Doesn't sound too horrible does it?

As for the "lear" pilot we hired..you're right..we got what we paid for... a great guy and an excellent pilot. Best part...he doesn't complain...he's a professional and a team player.

We all have our reasons to work we work..I just hope we don't ever buy gulfstreams...its too hard being right all the time

Brand new screen name. Total posts, one
Sorry I am not biting.

Latest resources

Back