• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Power washing a jet engine...interesting results

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
yep...been around forever, too bad the premier guys didnt know that. i know of at least 2 premiers that would not start cause they werent doing em...lol

It just goes to show that you learn something new everyday.

I'm not new to jet aircraft, and thought that I was pretty much up to speed on most maintenace procedures. This is the first time I have ever seen or heard of such a thing. I guess not having any PT6 time might have something to do with it. However, walnut shells through a Dart on a G1 would be great sight to see! Is this a more common procedure with older type motors? I suppose I really should talk with the Honeywell rep regarding our motors, but I'm curious if technology has anything to do with the level of cleanliness.

It just goes to show that you learn something new everyday.

I'm not new to jet aircraft, and thought that I was pretty much up to speed on most maintenace procedures. This is the first time I have ever seen or heard of such a thing. I guess not having any PT6 time might have something to do with it. However, walnut shells through a Dart on a G1 would be great sight to see! Is this a more common procedure with older type motors? I suppose I really should talk with the Honeywell rep regarding our motors, but I'm curious if technology has anything to do with the level of cleanliness.

Honeywell engines don't have the compressor wash schedule like a Pt6 or Williams engine. Heck on the TFE731 I don't know if they ever do one :)

we do them after every flight in the turbo-beaver. Let the engine cool down, hook up the hose and blast it. Doesn't seem right to me either, but salt water kills.

I guess not having any PT6 time might have something to do with it. However, walnut shells through a Dart on a G1 would be great sight to see! Is this a more common procedure with older type motors?

This is standard with nearly all turbine powerplants, though walnut shell isn't always used. Various nonabrasive media are used, and washes using solvents, soaps, and water are standard.

This has nothing to do with "older" powerplants, and nothing to do with PT6's.

I operated TFE731's on Westwinds for years. Never had a compressor wash there and don't recall it being in the maintenance manual for the 731-3 engine. A compressor wash would probably gut that engine or cause another #@&% oil leak!!! The Pratts on the Citations are washed anytime there is a ITT issue or power loss. Practically the first step in the troubleshooting process.

Latest resources

Back